Announcements
ATTHelpForums

Community Support

• 

2.5K Messages

Tue, Mar 20, 2018 5:58 PM

Yahoo Terms & Conditions Change FAQs

EmailSupport.png

Why did I receive a pop-up or an email notification from Oath about the Oath Terms of Service?

AT&T and Yahoo (at the time) work together to provide email related services. Oath is updating its terms of service because in 2017, Yahoo was acquired by Verizon, which combined the Yahoo business with AOL and formed a new company, known as Oath. 

What do I need to do?

Review the updated Oath terms of service and decide whether you choose to accept. If you choose to accept their updated terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now.  If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.  We do not know when or how it may be impacted, but you can visit Oath’s FAQ page to learn more.  The full URL for the Oath FAQs is https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/guce/faq/index.html

Will my email address change?

No, your email address will not change.  You will still be able to utilize your email address as usual.

Will my email account maintain the same functionality?

Yes, you can still send and receive emails, as well as access all other mail-related features. You can keep using your existing email address to send and receive emails just as you do today.

Do I need to cancel or modify my AT&T email service? 

No, there is no need to cancel any AT&T email service. It remains active and functional.

Will this Terms of Service announcement from Oath affect my ability to sign in to att.net?

No, you’ll continue to be able to use your email address to sign in to att.net.

Is there an option for me to not accept the Oath Terms of Service?

Yes.  When you receive the pop-up entitled “New Privacy and Terms,” you have the option to not accept by clicking on “I’ll do this later.”  And when you receive the email notification from Oath, you have the option of not clicking the button called “Review and agree now,” closing the email and disregarding the message.

What happens if I choose not to accept the Oath Terms of Service?

If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.

Is there a way for me to opt out of having Oath use my email data for targeted advertising?

Yes.  If users want to opt out of having their email data used by Oath for targeted advertising, they may do so.  Users can do this by hovering over the ‘gear’ symbol in the upper right corner of the mail user interface on a PC or Mac, clicking on ‘About our Ads’ and then clicking on ‘Manage interest-based advertising categories, or opt-out of all categories, from Oath’.  This will take the user to the Yahoo Ad Interest Manager page, where the user can select the Opt Out button.  The full URL for the Ad Interest Manager webpage is https://aim.yahoo.com/aim/us/en/optout/.

What if I have questions about the provisions of the Oath Terms of Service?

For more information please visit Oath’s FAQs.  The full URL for the Oath FAQs is https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/guce/faq/index.html

If I accept the Oath Terms of Service, must I do so on each device that I use?

No, if you choose to accept the Oath terms of service, you can do this via your desktop, mobile and/or tablet device; It only needs to be accepted once.

AT&T Help

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

1 Attachment

Responses

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 years ago

To quote wiki,

Oath Inc. is a subsidiary of Verizon Communications[4] that serves as the umbrella company of its digital content subdivisions, including AOL and Yahoo!.

Att uses yahoo as their email service provider.  Hence the prompting for you to accept the Oath terms of service to use the email.  Since att is a "customer" of yahoo they att is "forced" to follow the rules that yahoo imposes which I suppose means yahoo is "forced" to follow the rules Auth imposes (which, by extension, probably means the rules Verizon imposes or at least with their blessing).

No one is "forcing" you to accept.  You can always find one of many other email service providers as a substitute.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

What service will AT&T provide since Verizon now owns Yahoo and may I keep my email address, I have concern about my information being handle by a competitor. Does AT&T have a solution for this issue for this is concerning.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I'm an ATT user and will not and can not let anyone scan my emails and attachments, as this sounds like what is going to happen.  I am certainly going to decline to agree with this new TOS which is a totally unreasonable invasion of privacy.

I just looked at the Gmail TOS and they do not scan emails or attachments.  Ya Google.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

so now i have enabled some software protection, adblockers. spyware blockers, ghostry, tracers blockers. and now "oath.com" LOADS and NOT my email!!!!!!!!!!. I have my system setup to block anything facebook, aol, verizon and a hand full of other sites. as well as my anti-virus software and firewall, all are telling me that oath.com is a malicious website. and can not be opened. SERIOUSLY AT&T !!!! I can log into my gmail account and my softhome account, just not my PAID FOR AT&T ACCOUNT !!!!!!!!    GROW SOME DAMM (misspelled because this stupid system thinks every word is a bad word... stick it you politically correct boobs) BALLS AND TELL YAHOO WHERE TO STICK IT, THAT YOU WILL NOT ALLOW THEM TO MINE YOUR PAID CUSTOMERS COMPUTERS OR PHONES JUST TO SELL ADVERTISEMENTS. HOW ABOUT WE AS USERS START A CAMPAIGN AGAINST AT&T AND THERE UNWILLINGNESS TO SUPPORT THERE PAID CUSTOMERS!!!  HOW ABOUT THAT !!!!! BECAUSE IM SURE MANY ON HERE USE SOCIAL MEDIA AND CAN SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT HOW YOU ARE ALLOWING YAHOO, AOL, VERIZON AND THE OTHER CORRUPT COMPANIES THAT CALL THERE SELF OATH TO PROBE, STEEL, SCAN. SELL OUR PRIVATE DATA. AGAIN, GROW SOME BALLS AT&T AND TELL YAHOO WHERE TO STICK IT ONCE AND FOR ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 years ago

Verizon has owned yahoo since about last June.  Nothing much has changed with att's use of yahoo as its email service provider other than the recent change in terms of service Oath imposes on yahoo and aol which is what prompted your concerns.  IMO att will do nothing since I think att is only considered a customer to yahoo and must abide by their rules.  So either live with it, find another email service provider since you are not required to use the ISP's email service, or find another ISP that doesn't use yahoo or aol as their email service provider.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Hi I just received an update from yahoo about their privacy policy, asking me to agree to the following

We’ve updated how we collect and use data. We’ve updated some of the ways we collect and analyze user data in order to deliver services, content, and relevant advertising to you and protect against abuse. This includes:

• Analyzing content and information (including emails, instant messages, posts, photos, attachments, and other communications) when you use our services. This allows us to deliver, personalize and develop relevant features, content, advertising and services
  • Linking your activity on third-party sites and apps with information we have about you”

I find this to be extremely disturbing, if it means what I think it means. Is ATT actually aware of this?  How could it be possible to allow a third party access to email content, especially a competitor?

please clarify if I am misunderstanding this. 

Thanks

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 years ago

Att has a thread on this.

DaveNTx

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

3 years ago

Yes, I read the FAQ page.   There's this bit :  "If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted."

The word "impacted" is rather vague - does it mean shut down, does it mean interference with my email communications, does it mean I can't send confidential emails .... ?

What AT&T service (or services) is it that Yahoo/AOL/Verizon control to the extent that they could "impact" its operation? 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

This sounds ok to me, I have no complaints

Charles [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Hanahan, SC 29410

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I accepted the oath terms of service yesterday.  Why am I getting this now?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I am very concerned at the freedom you are allowing other vendors in their use of our personal content. I want to choose my own webmail app rather than go through Yahoo, and now Oath. I do not like their use of my private information. I pay ATT for the service to have ATT.net and I should be able to choose my own email browser for that information or have some say in what, how, and how much, and to whom my content is shared. What can I do to access just my ATT.net mail on the web or mobile device without going through Yahoo!/Oath?  Your current limited provision through these vendors  is really horrible.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Last time you made an "improvement" my entire address book was deleted and all my messages, a carefully kept and treasured history of my life for many years, were deleted and my calendar, psst present, and future was wiped clean.  Do you intend to do this again?  Will all my contacts be deleted?  Will all my email messages be deleted?  Will my calendar, present past and future, be deleted?  

Why do you resume to call this unilateral contract an "Oath"?  Aren't oaths promises made to God and country? 

citfta

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

3 years ago

What happens if I choose not to accept the Oath Terms of Service?

At this time, you have the option to accept the Oath terms of service.  If you choose to accept the updated terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now.  If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.

The above quote has been posted a couple of times in this thread.  While that may have been true when it was posted it no longer is correct.  After refusing to agree to the piracy agreement a couple of times I was forced to accept it to get to my ATT email account.  I did follow the link in the piracy agreement that let's you opt-out of some of the invasion of privacy rules.  But as I understand it they still reserve the right to access any and all of my information.  I have already switched to another email provider but still have to check my ATT email to find emails from people or companies that have not gotten my new email address.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I agree!  I was unable to access my email accounts unless I accepted the Oath terms if service which I refuse to do.  Currently I can access them on my phone, however I am switching to a Google E-mail account.  I don't like their intrusion into my private communications nor do I like their control of any legal disagreements.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I pay my bills to AT&T.  Why am I being forced to do business with Verizon “Oath”?

Get started...

Ask a new question