AT&T Community Forums
ATTHelpForums

Community Support

• 

2.5K Messages

Tue, Mar 20, 2018 5:58 PM

Yahoo Terms & Conditions Change FAQs

EmailSupport.png

Why did I receive a pop-up or an email notification from Oath about the Oath Terms of Service?

AT&T and Yahoo (at the time) work together to provide email related services. Oath is updating its terms of service because in 2017, Yahoo was acquired by Verizon, which combined the Yahoo business with AOL and formed a new company, known as Oath. 

What do I need to do?

Review the updated Oath terms of service and decide whether you choose to accept. If you choose to accept their updated terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now.  If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.  We do not know when or how it may be impacted, but you can visit Oath’s FAQ page to learn more.  The full URL for the Oath FAQs is https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/guce/faq/index.html

Will my email address change?

No, your email address will not change.  You will still be able to utilize your email address as usual.

Will my email account maintain the same functionality?

Yes, you can still send and receive emails, as well as access all other mail-related features. You can keep using your existing email address to send and receive emails just as you do today.

Do I need to cancel or modify my AT&T email service? 

No, there is no need to cancel any AT&T email service. It remains active and functional.

Will this Terms of Service announcement from Oath affect my ability to sign in to att.net?

No, you’ll continue to be able to use your email address to sign in to att.net.

Is there an option for me to not accept the Oath Terms of Service?

Yes.  When you receive the pop-up entitled “New Privacy and Terms,” you have the option to not accept by clicking on “I’ll do this later.”  And when you receive the email notification from Oath, you have the option of not clicking the button called “Review and agree now,” closing the email and disregarding the message.

What happens if I choose not to accept the Oath Terms of Service?

If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.

Is there a way for me to opt out of having Oath use my email data for targeted advertising?

Yes.  If users want to opt out of having their email data used by Oath for targeted advertising, they may do so.  Users can do this by hovering over the ‘gear’ symbol in the upper right corner of the mail user interface on a PC or Mac, clicking on ‘About our Ads’ and then clicking on ‘Manage interest-based advertising categories, or opt-out of all categories, from Oath’.  This will take the user to the Yahoo Ad Interest Manager page, where the user can select the Opt Out button.  The full URL for the Ad Interest Manager webpage is https://aim.yahoo.com/aim/us/en/optout/.

What if I have questions about the provisions of the Oath Terms of Service?

For more information please visit Oath’s FAQs.  The full URL for the Oath FAQs is https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/guce/faq/index.html

If I accept the Oath Terms of Service, must I do so on each device that I use?

No, if you choose to accept the Oath terms of service, you can do this via your desktop, mobile and/or tablet device; It only needs to be accepted once.

AT&T Help

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

1 Attachment

Responses

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

2 years ago

@TAH116 said:

I rarely access my emails via my browser.

Which means you don't know what legitimate email may have been sucked up into the spam box by the yahoo spam filters who think they know better than you what's spam (that's sarcasm if it isn't obvious).  The spam box ages out in about 30 days.  So you need to really check it within that time.  You're forced to visit the webmail whether you like it or not once in a while or you may risk missing something that may be important. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I Accept.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

how much do these people want for there service? I  am on A fix income I do not have money for any more service 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Since AT&T has just raised my rates for the SECOND time in a year ("Administrative fees" going up again), and since I object to them getting caught secretly paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to Michael Cohen for political privileges and then raising our rates soon after, and since I STRONGLY object to being required to consent to Oath to incur anti-privacy terms that were never part of my contract with AT&T, I am looking for other options now. 

I've been with AT&T for a decade, but this pushes me too far. $150 a month for two iphone lines and this egregious Oath nonsense is just not okay with me. I'm heading over to another carrier in September. 

Addendum: while seeking help from AT&T about my bill, AT&T advised me to contact them through @ATTCares on Twitter. I did. Customer Care never responded or even acknowledged my inquiry. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Why has AT&T screwed their users?????   I didn't sign up to use yahoo, but got stuck with them.   And I haven't signed up with oath, so why is ATT sticking us on them????   I am not big on trusting ATT, and even less so with yahoo; ATT, do your job and take responsibility for making sure your users' emails aren't interfered with in any way by any other company or group.   I don't send money to yahoo or oath, nor did I ever sign any contracts with them.    

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Honestly, all this ranting is just hurling angry pixels into the void, as far as AT&T is concerned. They won't really notice this as a significant issue until people start actually ending business with them and telling them why. To them, a bunch of angry people yelling on a forum is an ignorable temper tantrum--notice how often an actual AT&T rep has dropped in to interact with us on this? To them, this forum is like the fake "close doors" button on an elevator; it doesn't actually make anything happen, it's just a way to make people feel they've done something. We're pretty much sandboxed into AT&T's "soundproof booth of impotent rage" while the company continues its course. If you want to express yourself in a meaningful way, switch providers. 

I'll be leaving AT&T at the end of this paid month, and opting for another carrier (not Verizon; they're Oath too), such as Simple Mobile or T-Mobile, both of which are cheaper anyway. If AT&T wants to know why they've lost my business after more than a decade, t's not like I've kept it a secret, they just don't bother to pay attention until we take our money away. 

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

2 years ago

AMEN to that, It's that most people don't know how to change email, they just keep hoping that this will go away and then they won't have to go through having to change anything.
_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

2 years ago

@Draygo7

I don't agree with your theory.  I believe most users know (change ESPs or ISPs) but what's stopping them from switching email services is they feel "locked" into their current email address because they have been using it for so long and now have so many contacts and subscriptions they don't want to spend the effort notifying all of them about an email address change or changing subscription contact info.  Of course they got themselves into this position by assuming they would have their same email address "forever" and not preparing for the eventuality that someday they might have to get a new address.   But given that the majority of users are just, well, basic email users, you can't really fault them for not knowing of these possibilities and how to handle them (personal domain or forwarding service).  So yes, they keep, as you say, "hoping that this will go away".  It's bite the bullet and move or "hold your nose" and accept it.

Arvidd

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

2 years ago

This is exactly correct. AT&T, and so many other corporations, are
immune to anything but a drop in revenue. The implacable grasping for
dollars at any cost is precisely what is occurring. And, yes, Oath is a
subsidiary now of Verizon, which bought Yahoo/AOL.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Your help lines don't know how to tell me how to receive email on my att.net email address of ***** This problem started when I signed on to Oath. OK, so Yahoo and Verizon merged under the new Oath umbrella and I finally signed on, and I can still send email from *****, but do not get any email that others are trying to send to me. I am a disabled person and virtually all my medical information and my financial information is and has been sent to that email address and I need this fixed. Please help.[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

2 years ago

Login to the att.net website, check your junk email and see they are blocking them, if they are, right click on the email and Mark it as trusted or not junk. If they are not there, check with the people who are sending you the emails to see if they have the correct email address

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I am unable to login to my accound with password.... stupid me forgot the password... I can only login with a code sent to my alternate email ID on yahoo... 

What to do?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

PLease help

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I seem to have forgetten my password... Can login with the code that is sent to my alternate email ID... it is inconvenient

mpbarber

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

a year ago

There is no "hovering over the ‘gear’ symbol in the upper right corner of the mail user interface on a PC or Mac, clicking on ‘About our Ads’". All I get is "settings menu" and when I click on that there is a lot of stuff but no "About our Ads".

Am I missing something here????

thanks

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Get started...

Ask a new question