AT&T Community Forums
ATTHelpForums

Community Support

• 

2.5K Messages

Tue, Mar 20, 2018 5:58 PM

Yahoo Terms & Conditions Change FAQs

EmailSupport.png

Why did I receive a pop-up or an email notification from Oath about the Oath Terms of Service?

AT&T and Yahoo (at the time) work together to provide email related services. Oath is updating its terms of service because in 2017, Yahoo was acquired by Verizon, which combined the Yahoo business with AOL and formed a new company, known as Oath. 

What do I need to do?

Review the updated Oath terms of service and decide whether you choose to accept. If you choose to accept their updated terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now.  If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.  We do not know when or how it may be impacted, but you can visit Oath’s FAQ page to learn more.  The full URL for the Oath FAQs is https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/guce/faq/index.html

Will my email address change?

No, your email address will not change.  You will still be able to utilize your email address as usual.

Will my email account maintain the same functionality?

Yes, you can still send and receive emails, as well as access all other mail-related features. You can keep using your existing email address to send and receive emails just as you do today.

Do I need to cancel or modify my AT&T email service? 

No, there is no need to cancel any AT&T email service. It remains active and functional.

Will this Terms of Service announcement from Oath affect my ability to sign in to att.net?

No, you’ll continue to be able to use your email address to sign in to att.net.

Is there an option for me to not accept the Oath Terms of Service?

Yes.  When you receive the pop-up entitled “New Privacy and Terms,” you have the option to not accept by clicking on “I’ll do this later.”  And when you receive the email notification from Oath, you have the option of not clicking the button called “Review and agree now,” closing the email and disregarding the message.

What happens if I choose not to accept the Oath Terms of Service?

If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.

Is there a way for me to opt out of having Oath use my email data for targeted advertising?

Yes.  If users want to opt out of having their email data used by Oath for targeted advertising, they may do so.  Users can do this by hovering over the ‘gear’ symbol in the upper right corner of the mail user interface on a PC or Mac, clicking on ‘About our Ads’ and then clicking on ‘Manage interest-based advertising categories, or opt-out of all categories, from Oath’.  This will take the user to the Yahoo Ad Interest Manager page, where the user can select the Opt Out button.  The full URL for the Ad Interest Manager webpage is https://aim.yahoo.com/aim/us/en/optout/.

What if I have questions about the provisions of the Oath Terms of Service?

For more information please visit Oath’s FAQs.  The full URL for the Oath FAQs is https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/guce/faq/index.html

If I accept the Oath Terms of Service, must I do so on each device that I use?

No, if you choose to accept the Oath terms of service, you can do this via your desktop, mobile and/or tablet device; It only needs to be accepted once.

AT&T Help

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

1 Attachment

Responses

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 years ago

There is one minor "quirk" or problem I thought of if you don't agree to the oath TOS even if you don't intend to ever use the yahoo crap for your own email.  It's all fine and good to use your own domain, forwarding service, or just tell all your contacts you are using a new email address, but one "contact" that will, I think, completely ignore you is att itself.  It will most likely continue to use your primary account as the email address to contact you for whatever reasons (billing, special announcements, whatever).  I don't think they will use your recovery email address if the account email address fails for any reason.  So where does that leave us?  Forced to agree to the oath TOS if only to pick up any communication from att itself?  Or ignore the account forever and hope att never needs to send any special emails to your att account email address.

Arvidd

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

3 years ago

...Or, like the wife who has been beaten within an inch of her life by a
cruel and heartless husband, a customer ceases in every way to associate
with the offending outfit by leaving entirely and forever.

tlbowen71

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

3 years ago

Seriously? Do you think the legal teams between two gigantic carriers didn't do their homework?
tlbowen71

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

3 years ago

A forwarder still gets your email from the yahoo mail system. The police and imap servers say att but the are hosted by Oath.
_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 years ago

An apology for post 257...

To be honest my last post about handling mail from att itself (post 257 above) was done very late after switching email services and my email client to use the new service.  Also the att/yahoo webmail stopped working and I was thinking it was due to not accepting the oath prompt which kept popping up.  So my brain was not working too clearly. 

At the time it seemed odd to me that after many years of the webmail working (not that I ever seriously used it) it picked that exact time, i.e., when the oath stuff was to go into effect, to fail.  By coincidence (or due to that oath prompt, I'll never know) some cookies went "bad" and needed fixing (actually I just removed them).  But before that I couldn't even get into the webmail settings.

So when I got the webmail apparently working again I did that post (257) above.  By that time I hadn't even thought of forwarding.  So now that I can get back into the settings I set forwarding up to go to my new email account.  With that only email sent to the att.net email address will be forwarded.  Presumably that would be only stuff from att itself since I never publicly ever used the att.net email address for any other contacts.

Arvidd

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

3 years ago

Oh, yes, they do their homework, but they are gigantic and care little
for any interest but their own.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Google's privacy policy

Get a load of this folks. Below is an excerpt from Googles privacy policy. Is there any safe place?

"We also collect the content you create, upload, or receive from others when using our services. This includes things like email you write and receive, photos and videos you save, docs and spreadsheets you create, and comments you make on YouTube videos" 

Arvidd

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

3 years ago

As others have remarked here, at least in substance, TANSTAAFL: "There
ain't no such thing as a free lunch." The only solution with a decent
chance of securing privacy is to pay for it by hiring an email service
provider and not using a free one, a service provider that claims to
guarantee privacy and, when checked in appropriate places, seems
actually to do that. The free providers will continue to do this unless
and until Congress enacts an American version of the EU's GDPR, written
to protect privacy as much as possible and still pass muster with the
Constitution, which the EU is not bound by. Meanwhile, a VPN or VPN
browser extension also will help much.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

3 years ago

That is true, they collect it because it goes to their servers.  Nowhere does it say they will look at it to give/sell it to 3rd parties as OATH does.
Arvidd

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

3 years ago

Oath perhaps was foolishly revelatory rather than being coy like the
rest. Who really supposes that a typical contemporary commercial on-line
entity, once having "collected" every sort of thing, would virtuously
and rigorously guard against any sort of distribution of it no matter
how much money it could make by doing so?
tlbowen71

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

3 years ago

You misunderstand. I have always had an att.net email address, but yahoo ran it. I have been a customer since 2000.
Arvidd

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

3 years ago

Perhaps AT&T had some sort of tiered service years ago where Yahoo was
concerned. In my case, there was utterly no evidence at all of any
involvement by Yahoo until, some years back, they grandly announced some
sort of partnership with Yahoo for managing their email, and then it was
"AT&T-Yahoo" thereafter. No mention at all of Yahoo ever occurred
previous to that. If you had Yahoo all along, swell and wonderful, or
sorry and dismal, as the case may be, but that does not at all negate
someone else's experience, in this case, mine.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Ignore OATH popup. Click on “mail” in upper left frame of your browser. I have been able to access my att.net by doing this. I am very wary of agreeing to any new TOS with Yahoo or Verizon

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

2 years ago

@TAH116 said:

I have been able to access my att.net by doing this. I am very wary of agreeing to any new TOS with Yahoo or Verizon.

You do realize of course that by continuing to use the att/yahoo email servers you already agreed to their OATH TOS don't you?  See section 12c.  At this point no one is exempt from their TOS simply because they haven't responded to that popup.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I haven't agreed and they still send emails to update and agree; I generally
get my att email via Outlook. I cannot control what they do without my
consent, but I will not consent to the change in TOS. I rarely access my
emails via my browser.

Get started...

Ask a new question