Learn how you can get the iPhone 13 now!
ATTHelpForums's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

2.6K Messages

Tue, Mar 20, 2018 5:58 PM

Yahoo Terms & Conditions Change FAQs

EmailSupport.png

Why did I receive a pop-up or an email notification from Oath about the Oath Terms of Service?

AT&T and Yahoo (at the time) work together to provide email related services. Oath is updating its terms of service because in 2017, Yahoo was acquired by Verizon, which combined the Yahoo business with AOL and formed a new company, known as Oath. 

What do I need to do?

Review the updated Oath terms of service and decide whether you choose to accept. If you choose to accept their updated terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now.  If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.  We do not know when or how it may be impacted, but you can visit Oath’s FAQ page to learn more.  The full URL for the Oath FAQs is https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/guce/faq/index.html

Will my email address change?

No, your email address will not change.  You will still be able to utilize your email address as usual.

Will my email account maintain the same functionality?

Yes, you can still send and receive emails, as well as access all other mail-related features. You can keep using your existing email address to send and receive emails just as you do today.

Do I need to cancel or modify my AT&T email service? 

No, there is no need to cancel any AT&T email service. It remains active and functional.

Will this Terms of Service announcement from Oath affect my ability to sign in to att.net?

No, you’ll continue to be able to use your email address to sign in to att.net.

Is there an option for me to not accept the Oath Terms of Service?

Yes.  When you receive the pop-up entitled “New Privacy and Terms,” you have the option to not accept by clicking on “I’ll do this later.”  And when you receive the email notification from Oath, you have the option of not clicking the button called “Review and agree now,” closing the email and disregarding the message.

What happens if I choose not to accept the Oath Terms of Service?

If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.

Is there a way for me to opt out of having Oath use my email data for targeted advertising?

Yes.  If users want to opt out of having their email data used by Oath for targeted advertising, they may do so.  Users can do this by hovering over the ‘gear’ symbol in the upper right corner of the mail user interface on a PC or Mac, clicking on ‘About our Ads’ and then clicking on ‘Manage interest-based advertising categories, or opt-out of all categories, from Oath’.  This will take the user to the Yahoo Ad Interest Manager page, where the user can select the Opt Out button.  The full URL for the Ad Interest Manager webpage is https://aim.yahoo.com/aim/us/en/optout/.

What if I have questions about the provisions of the Oath Terms of Service?

For more information please visit Oath’s FAQs.  The full URL for the Oath FAQs is https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/guce/faq/index.html

If I accept the Oath Terms of Service, must I do so on each device that I use?

No, if you choose to accept the Oath terms of service, you can do this via your desktop, mobile and/or tablet device; It only needs to be accepted once.

AT&T Help

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

1 Attachment

sherrb1158

Scholar

• 

79 Messages

3 y ago

That only protects your traffic, our emails are on there servers.  They can read and scan them anytime they like according to this "Oath" agreement.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

3 y ago

Arvidd: a brilliantly articulated reflection which captures my experiences with these companies. Thanks.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

3 y ago

Thanks for the clarification; VPN sounds interesting. More expensive? Steven
_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 y ago

Personally I recommend just using an email service provider you can trust (or trust more) that has terms of service you can live with over using a VPN which has the potential to slow things down some what.  Pay ESP's are relatively cheap and because they are pay services the email is the the product, not you (from the saying "if you are not paying for it you become the product"). Google "email service providers".

Of course combine using a pay ESP through a VPN and you get both encrypting of the send/receive data streams along with a more trustworthy ESP.

And if you are totally paranoid use a secure email system like Proton mail, Lavabit, and others like it.  But with those both sender and receiver need to use the same mail app and service to decrypt what is sent and the data truly is encrypted on the servers.  IMO these are overkill for everyday use unless you are Ed Snowden (who really did use Lavabit in an earlier incarnation - google lavabit).

Just for completeness there are lots of free ESP's as well, but then you are the product again. Man Sad  Your choice.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 y ago

Question for:   xyzzy

Forgive me being technologically dumb, but, does getting a new email service provider mean you have to get a new email address - giving up the att.net email address I have had for years?    And, therefore changing countless things 😞

Thanks for reply.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

3 y ago

That is correct, it is like moving, you are changing your physical address and have to let everyone know that you have moved, for each if you have more than one @att email account

Arvidd

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

3 y ago

This, for many not an inconsiderable hassle, can be avoided once and for
all by the securing of a personal domain and one or more email addresses
based upon it. This of course requires securing the domain and retaining
it from year to year, which is not free. That cost, however, frees the
domain owner from ever again having to feel trapped by the likes of
AT&T, Yahoo, etc.
_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 y ago

@tigerlily58

I use a forwarding service which is supplied by a professional organization I belong to which I pay for anyhow.  I have used that service since the 90's.   None of my contacts ever know my ISP email address, only my forwarding service's email address.  So I can switch ISP's or actual email service providers any time I want simply by changing the email setting in my forwarding service.

As suggested above, buying your own domain works too for using ESP's that support personal domains.

But, yes, if you haven't planned ahead for the possibility of moving ISPs or ESPs, having to change email addresses can be a hastle notifying all your contacts about the change.

Off topic but I note about using these forums.  When you want to ask a question to a participant in a thread who is not the creator of the thread you should reference their id preceded with an "@" like I did in the beginning of this post.  When you type the "@" you will be given a list of participants in the thread.  Choose the one you want.  This way a notification is sent to that participant. Lucky I happened to track this thread or I wouldn't have noticed your post.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

Goos morning

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

3 y ago

After more than 20 years as a loyal AT&T customer, it is clear to me that you are making moves

toward alienating me as your customer.

I am NOT going to sign off on the INTRUSIVE terms of OATH. 

You can stop harassing me about it NOW!

After more than 20 years as your customer, I have gone outside your company to

get other email.

I don’t CARE what you do with the current email addies. I will no longer be using them.

Is this the beginning of me turning my back on a more than 20 year relationship with you?

Ball is in your court now. We shall see.

Do I now need to procure other internet and telephone service as well?

https://policies.oath.com/

Spirited Treasure 

tlbowen71

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

3 y ago

I am going to say what many of you may not care to hear.  It doesn't really matter where you go.  I worked for one of the alphabet security agencies and they take what they want.  You shouldn't really ever think anything you do electronically is completely secure.  If you want to keep something secret you keep it to yourself, lock it in a safe or tell someone you have known for 20 years.  Anything beyond that and someone can get to it.  And even that third option may not be completely safe.

Also, get a grip.  ATT has used Yahoo as their mail provider for YEARS.  I have been with them for 20 years and they have always used some form of outsourced email provider, never ATT.  And you know what?  Those TOS haven't really changed much but they were hidden and you said yes without reading.  If you use a "free" service then you have to know there is a "cost" somewhere.  Google, Facebook or any other free tool is not doing it out of the kindness of their heart.  They want to know you so they can market you and to you.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

Does anyone know or can confirm if you have a free AT&T account, do you automatically go under Yahoo and their OATH rules?  We are currently paying for ATT email and I have tried to get a straight answer from ATT on this topic.  Spent hours on the phone with multiple groups in ATT and didn't get anywhere.  My specific issue is that if I am paying ATT for email, then I want a guarantee for what I get for my money particularly as it relates to Yahoo and whose rules are we really under.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

3 y ago

@tlbowen71 (Tutor)

Thanks for your reply.

When I send an encrypted Word file as an attachment to my email, or when a second party sends me an attached encrypted Word file, will any third party be able to un-encrypt and read the Word file? I suspect not. So if I want a private messages sent, I will do so with Word encrypted. But there remains a valid concern that somehow I will be receiving “spam” email in quantity as a result of the new terms and privacy policy.

Do you see down the road that we will have to pay for emails sent and received?

Do you see down the road we will have to pay for privacy of emails generated and/or received?

Thanks for you time
Arvidd

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

3 y ago

Being less well informed than one ought to be certainly is no crime but
is quite human. Now, however, perhaps we are making more of an effort.
It is quite proper to note here that taking advantage of people is no
virtue no matter how many among us may prattle along about caveat
emptor---let the buyer beware. Preying upon the the deficiencies of
others may not be illegal, but it is rotten behavior nonetheless and
does nothing but weaken the glue that holds society together.

The real problem is that always and everywhere, entities such as AT&T
use the language of warmth, love, kindness, and friendship in dogged
pursuit of as much money as they can grasp. Anyone who thinks this is
just fine or who dismisses it as only the way things always have been
certainly will not be much help in any effort to slow, stop, and reverse
such behavior but will simply add to it through acquiescence at the very
least.

These outfits are not our friends, they do not love us, and they have no
warmth to shed upon us. /Individuals/ working for them may be different,
but the entities themselves are single-mindedly dedicated to the
acquisition of cash by any means that will not land them in court or
produce publicity that cases their share price to drop or their sales to
decline. The watchword becomes "Can we get away with it?" and not "Is it
good for our customers and the right thing to do?"
sherrb1158

Scholar

• 

79 Messages

3 y ago

My big issue is that I pay AT&T for internet service, (in addition to hundreds of dollars worth of  addition to the other U-Verse, mobile, etc. services I subscribe to each month.)   I have had my primary and secondary "sbcglobal.net" email address over 18 years.  I would be more than glad to move my email address(s) to another email hosting service, including paying for email hosting, but I haven't been given that option.  I started converting my existing email over to another hosting platform, but that requires a whole new email address and my problem is that my existing sbcglobal account is tied into literally hundreds of my business services ... my electric service, my healthcare, my HOV auto billing for the toll roads, several banking services, untold numbers of equipment warranties, my auto-backup services, countless software subscriptions, etc.  I will likely NEVER find all of them that are tied to my primary and secondary sbcglobal.net accounts over the past 18+ years!
 THAT is what I'm upset about.  I have spent countless hours trying to get some kind of answer as to whether I can port my existing email account to some other hosting service besides Yahoo!  Mail and as far as I can tell there is no way to do that.  AT&T  STUCK us with this garbage email hosting multiple 3rd Party scenario and they are giving us no viable options to extract ourselves from it.
 If there is a way to move our email hosting somewhere else without changing our email addresses I would love to know what that is.  I have been beating my head against the wall with this problem for over a month now.
Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.