Announcements
Learn how you can Preorder the iPhone 13 now!
ATTHelpForums's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

2.6K Messages

Tue, Mar 20, 2018 5:58 PM

Yahoo Terms & Conditions Change FAQs

EmailSupport.png

Why did I receive a pop-up or an email notification from Oath about the Oath Terms of Service?

AT&T and Yahoo (at the time) work together to provide email related services. Oath is updating its terms of service because in 2017, Yahoo was acquired by Verizon, which combined the Yahoo business with AOL and formed a new company, known as Oath. 

What do I need to do?

Review the updated Oath terms of service and decide whether you choose to accept. If you choose to accept their updated terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now.  If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.  We do not know when or how it may be impacted, but you can visit Oath’s FAQ page to learn more.  The full URL for the Oath FAQs is https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/guce/faq/index.html

Will my email address change?

No, your email address will not change.  You will still be able to utilize your email address as usual.

Will my email account maintain the same functionality?

Yes, you can still send and receive emails, as well as access all other mail-related features. You can keep using your existing email address to send and receive emails just as you do today.

Do I need to cancel or modify my AT&T email service? 

No, there is no need to cancel any AT&T email service. It remains active and functional.

Will this Terms of Service announcement from Oath affect my ability to sign in to att.net?

No, you’ll continue to be able to use your email address to sign in to att.net.

Is there an option for me to not accept the Oath Terms of Service?

Yes.  When you receive the pop-up entitled “New Privacy and Terms,” you have the option to not accept by clicking on “I’ll do this later.”  And when you receive the email notification from Oath, you have the option of not clicking the button called “Review and agree now,” closing the email and disregarding the message.

What happens if I choose not to accept the Oath Terms of Service?

If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.

Is there a way for me to opt out of having Oath use my email data for targeted advertising?

Yes.  If users want to opt out of having their email data used by Oath for targeted advertising, they may do so.  Users can do this by hovering over the ‘gear’ symbol in the upper right corner of the mail user interface on a PC or Mac, clicking on ‘About our Ads’ and then clicking on ‘Manage interest-based advertising categories, or opt-out of all categories, from Oath’.  This will take the user to the Yahoo Ad Interest Manager page, where the user can select the Opt Out button.  The full URL for the Ad Interest Manager webpage is https://aim.yahoo.com/aim/us/en/optout/.

What if I have questions about the provisions of the Oath Terms of Service?

For more information please visit Oath’s FAQs.  The full URL for the Oath FAQs is https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/guce/faq/index.html

If I accept the Oath Terms of Service, must I do so on each device that I use?

No, if you choose to accept the Oath terms of service, you can do this via your desktop, mobile and/or tablet device; It only needs to be accepted once.

AT&T Help

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

1 Attachment

Responses

ACE - Expert

• 

20.3K Messages

3 y ago

@sherrb1158 wrote:

This is NOT about "OAUTH" authentication,  it is a company named Oath, who bought Yahoo. 

Oath did not buy Yahoo.  Verizon bought AOL in 2015 and Yahoo in 2017 and combined the two under the umbrella of Oath.  That makes Oath a subsidiary of Verizon.

sherrb1158

Scholar

• 

79 Messages

3 y ago

I stand corrected.  Regardless, it is not about OAUTH authentication, but the "subsidiary" company that is requiring the new terms and conditions.
allen305

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

3 y ago

Sharing Data with Verizon.

As an AT&T customer, why would I want my data shared with Verizon? I will not share with Verizon. This agreement stinks! 😞

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

3 y ago

I see a big issue.  I printed the 32 page document called Oath Terms of Service.  Under Oath Terms of Service section 1 paragraph two it starts out "By using the Services, you agree to these terms."  You do not have to formally agree to the terms, just continue using my email after May 25, 2018 and Oath can read all my emails along with any attachments, photos, or anything else I may send. Hello Big Brother!  Then they can give my search patterns to anyone they choose to give them to (spam will be overworked).  I will be looking for an email account that wants my business, not to sell it to whomever they choose.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

3 y ago

Congressman Ro Kanna (D-17th CA)
https://khanna.house.gov

Rep. Kanna is on Thom Hartmann’s radio show. They discussed the loss of internet neutrality, and how internet providers are taking data from email and even from users typing while on the internet. Rep Kanna said he wants to hear from users about the problems being confronted.

If there is someone here that is in his district, please send him the AT&T/Yahoo/Verizon/Oath Terms and privacy policy, as well as a brief description of one’s complaint and concerns.

Btw, Rep Hanna’s district includes the city of Cupertino.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

3 y ago

I'm sorry for my error, his name is Khanna.

Contact your member(s) of Congress to complain about this issue. It may not do any good at all seing that, at this time, the majority in the House and the Senate have a disgust for regulaltions that is positive for breathing people at the expense of coporate "people". But we gotta try.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

3 y ago

Basically you are telling us to accept the terms that Verizon has set forth and live with it or we could have our email accounts restricted or non-accessible like some are already have happen. This is not acceptable, we all signed up with AT&T, not Verizon, this merger with Verizon, Yahoo and AOL has been in the works for a long time and I was told over a year ago that AT&T was working on becoming it's own provider for email services, what happened to this? I for one have been screwed over by Verizon and want no part of them but the way I read this agreement, it is agree to the terms or your account will stop working as it is now or go find a different email provider. Tell me if this is wrong as I talked to AT&TCARE and they could not give me a good answer except the one you are giving, which isn't much.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

3 y ago

I just checked in to read some news, and his is what popped up:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com

We've updated our Privacy Policy

HuffPost is now part of Oath. By continuing to use our services, you agree to Oath’s new Privacy Policy. Click here to learn more.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 y ago

As so many others, I am confused.     I have had an att.net email address for 20 years.    I do not use AT&T as my Internet Service Provider and I do not pay anything for this email address.    Since this "agree to terms" started, I have ignored by just x-ing out the window that pops up and seeing my emails.    Concerned if I don't agree, there was this wording:  "your service will be impacted in the future".     I don't use Yahoo Search or anything below the Mail I click on the left hand side of At&T homepage to view my emails.   But, in the last day or two, I see there is something new there: "AT&T Begin" - have not explored - is it related?

Bottom line:  will I no longer be able to view my emails at some point in future?    

KG69

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

3 y ago

I am soooo upset, I Have to agree to giving every single bit of information to ANYONE, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME, IN ORDER TO USe my e-mail??? Is this why I have just noticed that there are "apps used "RECENTLY" from say"N

orth Korea", "Canada" "Argentina" and "SLOVAKIA:?????AND in order to del;ete them I have to change my password/.... again,,, what the heck... I'm sure they have access to that as well,  AND OATH:  " iS NOT RESPONSIBLE ". for  ANYTHING, ANYTIME, ANYWHERE,  NO PROBLEM,,, YOU WANT A BLANK CHECK..WELL i'LL FIND ANOTHER PROVIDER.  THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SUCH "MERGER' GOES ON YOU HAVE A MONOPOLY AND YOU LOOSE ALL YOUR CONTROL.   CAN SOMEONE SUGGEST WHERE I GO?? 

AOL and Yahoo (including all of their brands and affiliates) are now part of Oath, a dynamic house of global brands, and a part of Verizon.
Your personal information may be transferred to countries other than your own to process and store data in accordance with our Privacy Policy and to provide you with products and services. We may transfer your data to affiliates or partners, including for outsourced data processing undertaken on Oath’s behalf. Privacy and data protection standards in these countries may not be equivalent to standards in your country. If you do not agree then you should not use those products and services.
Data Transfer:
By using our products and services you consent to us transferring your information to countries outside your local jurisdiction, if necessary, for Oath’s legitimate business purposes as defined in our Privacy Policy. We are committed to ensuring your information is protected and apply safeguards in accordance with applicable law. To learn more about security, including the security steps we have taken and security steps you can take, please read Security at Oath.OOOO done, you left us to the scams of big marketers!! here is PART of what I HAVE TO AGREE WITH:

KG69

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

3 y ago

IS ANYBODY ELSE GOING TO FIND A NEW EMAIL PROVIDER?? this is such crap!!!is there anyone, anywhere, anytime that oath will not distribute ALL YOUR INFO (DATA) TO??? OH, AND OF COURSE THERE IS THEIR 'DISCLAIMER' THAT THEY ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE JUST BECAUSE THEY SOLD  MY INFO TO everyone in the world?????   i checked my e-mail for "recently used" apps, Guess what showed?? apps fro,"N. Korea","Argentina" " Slovakia" and canada"  none of which I KNEW I had accessed...good grief Slovakia??? I am sure Nigeria wasn't there but  might as well be??  so now i can "delete" and change my password for the 100th time,, or switch carriers..  Who can anyone suggest??

AOL and Yahoo (including all of their brands and affiliates) are now part of Oath, a dynamic house of global brands, and a part of Verizon.
Your personal information may be transferred to countries other than your own to process and store data in accordance with our Privacy Policy and to provide you with products and services. We may transfer your data to affiliates or partners, including for outsourced data processing undertaken on Oath’s behalf. Privacy and data protection standards in these countries may not be equivalent to standards in your country. If you do not agree then you should not use those products and services.
Data Transfer:
By using our products and services you consent to us transferring your information to countries outside your local jurisdiction, if necessary, for Oath’s legitimate business purposes as defined in our Privacy Policy. We are committed to ensuring your information is protected and apply safeguards in accordance with applicable law. To learn more about security, including the security steps we have taken and security steps you can take, please read Security at Oath.

KG69

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

3 y ago

It is called a MONOPOLY!

KG69

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

3 y ago

time for someone new!!    NOW   WHO????

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

3 y ago

Do not understand how the issue of "net neutrality" plays into this issue.  As I understand, net neutrality deals with charges for access by providers.  This seems more to me a legal issue of marketing data much like the Facebook stuff recently.  It also seems to be a very poor business decision on the part of AT&T to continue to have Yahoo (now Verizon/Oath) provide server space instead of providing their own.  Yes, and it makes no sense to me that we have to agree to an AT&T competitor's T&C to continues using AT&T email.  I am seeking a more straighforward and simple way of handling my email.

The unasked and answered question is are anybody elses T&Cs any better??

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 y ago

I purchased a domain from Network Solutions and are having them host my email.  Yes, there is a cost, but it's less than what I've been paying for the last 20+ years to AT&T - and it's MINE.  No concern about taking my email, my contacts, nor attachments, and worry about a third party company putting a picture of my child to sell products.

AT&T is acting no different than Sears.  We see how that worked for Sears........

You can go to any domain registrar and see what their terms are in the way of hosting emails - not just the first on the block.  Look around for yourself and make up your own mind, but don't let companies like Oath, Inc., make decisions for you, nor steal your property.  It's one thing if they are given you service for free, but it's entirely different when you pay for it.  Maybe latter on I will host my own email directly, but for now, I will let the oldest Internet registrar take care of it for me.

New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.