Protect yourself online
bwoods_1's profile

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, June 30th, 2013 3:04 AM

Why do I get an error message of incorrect user name or password when I try to use Outlook 2010 to check email?

I've checked and rechecked my settings. I've downloaded the email plug-in. Nothing works.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

581 Messages

11 years ago

Hello bwoods, I'm sorry about the trouble you are experiencing to access your email through Outlook. One of the common issues experienced by users is the the security put in place by Yahoo. When you sign in to your web-mail there are CAPTCHA security measures ("Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart") that will prevent you from signing in if you do not supply the correct characters in the box. When you have your email client sign in for you these security measures are still in place by Yahoo and most clients do not let you know there are CAPTCHA characters you need to input. This will cause your login to fail. To regain access you will need to sign in using Web-mail just to authenticate with the required CAPTCHA. You should not have to do this every time you try to check your email on Outlook, this is normally a security check when you sign in from devices you don't use regularly to access your email. If you experience this again sign in to your email account using web-mail to authenticate then you can return to Outlook to use it as usual.Smiley Wink

Sign In to Web-mail

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

Have you done the settings shown in this post: https://getsocial.att.com/message/4192#4192 ? :smileyconfused:

Chris

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I checked the video you referenced several times. I’ve checked and rechecked my account settings so many times, I’ve memorized them. I tried setting up a new account with the correct settings, but got the same message. I downloaded the email plug-in. Nothing worked. Today, for some unknown reason, Outlook is back. If this lasts, I’m happy. If not, I’ll switch to Gmail or another service for email.

Betty (Removed last name for security measures)

When life hands you lemons, don’t just settle for making lemonade. Taste and see that the Lord is good! Psalm34:8

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

Betty, might be a good idea to get a gmail account and start using that for your main emailbox.  They have great POP/SMTP access there. Smiley Wink

Edit:  If more help is needed, the Community Mgrs will be around Mon morning.

Chris

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I signed into my email a half dozen times in the two days Yahoo wouldn’t let Outlook work. Evidently your security or something in your system is very capricious and cantankerous at times. I never had a problem using Outlook with my old ATT&T DSL or your old email for years. Your new system needs some bugs worked out with your CAPTCHA measures.  But for now I’m using Outlook again and happy. I can’t imagine being stuck with only your email. It’s so much harder to use and inconvenient than Outlook.

Betty (Removed last name for security measures)

When life hands you lemons, don’t just settle for making lemonade. Taste and see that the Lord is good! Psalm34:8

Employee

• 

581 Messages

11 years ago

Excellent! Smiley Happy I'm glad to know you are able to use Outlook again. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance. I also recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help you diagnose any future issues. Thank you for the opportunity to help you!

SadathCS
ATTU-verseCare

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.