Protect yourself online
bro61021's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Monday, November 12th, 2018 8:06 PM

Why are there two Yahoos?

Can you please explain why there are now 2 yahoos, one is owned by AT&T and the other Verizon. My

@sbcglobal.net goes to AT&T Yahoo and my @yahoo.com goes to Verizon Yahoo. I am totally confused. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

Look at the logo in the upper left of the webmail.  If it just says yahoo then that's a "pure" yahoo account.  If the att globe icon precedes the "yahoo" that's the att/yahoo webmail.   If you have access to both depending on which account you use so be it.  It is what it is.  Still doesn't change the facts about "who's on first" under the hood (mixed my metaphors I guess).

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

Your sbcglobal account is an att (legacy) account and is associated with att.  Your yahoo.com account is yahoo's.  Att uses yahoo as their email service provider so that's how yahoo is added to the "mix" for att email accounts.  There is only one yahoo.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

Why did I read that Verizon now owns Yahoo.com
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

Because Verizon does own yahoo!  They also own AOL.  Both yahoo and aol are controlled by a verizon subsidiary named OATH.  None of this changes att's use of yahoo as their email service provider other than now att users are subject to OATH's terms of service.  I wouldn't have mentioned this except for the fact that OATH TOS blatantly say that in their TOS (with few restrictions) they are going to mine all your email for whatever they can for profit and targeted ads. 

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

This is where the confusion is. Verizon owns Yahoo yet I have a Yahoo account that was transfered to AT&T and is still called Yahoo. I have 2 different Yahoo accounts; @sbcglobal.com is AT&T and @yahoo.com is Verizon.
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

So we have lost stationery icon from att yahoo!  Downgrading our email abilities.  Not nice.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

My question that i seem to not be able to find a straight reliable answer on is this. Also this question is dealing with email services used from all the AT&T users which obviously includes all bellsouth.net( and other) users that carried over in 2006 when AT&T took over bellsouth.net, and or email addresses that are in the association with AT&T.

I am a user that had been carried over since with bellsouth.net, then with Cingular, and then to this present day with AT&T services which therefore have technically been using the yahoo mail services for the years AT&T has been using them as their email providers...Because I am paying AT&T for the services and everything I receive as service from,  which includes the email address. Which even becomes the account username for users to access their personal accounts to manager their services with AT&T.

So with this whole Yahoo! settlement, and all of the paying AT&T users that have the email address that customers needed to make as part as the services provided (This includes all accounts carried over to AT&T that remained as  (EX: bellsouth.net), but again as provided to us from AT&T as part of the access of our accounts.  Would that mean that users paying for the AT&T services and email for accessing/ managing accounts are paying as a use of personal email service or would it be considered paying for as a business email service since technically our business with AT&T is being provided to access, manage, and control our service(s) with AT&T? (being that AT&T uses and has used yahoo! mail for email providers since the merge in 2008 started/began. or at least other than maybe a small pause of in 2017)?

Just saying its scary bc AT&T has it's services running through my internet data, phone data, and even TV having the so a security breach to the email users that a company is providing and which is  AT&T email provider to its users.  Is more than just a scarce to think about. (I will stop there)

But can anyone assist me in the answer I am seeking. 

Expert

• 

15K Messages

4 years ago

I sort of got lost in all that.  So here's some points (which include some things you already know).

1. Yahoo is att's email service provider.
  2. The accounts att user's have with att/yahoo are considered personal and not yahoo business accounts.
  3. The att/yahoo email is considered by att as a free service.
  4. When an user is no longer an att customer they still get to keep their primary email account along with their sub-accounts (so long as they left in good standing).
  5. Yahoo is a subsidiary of OATH which in turn is a subsidiary of Verizon (an att competitor).  As such att users are "forced" to agree with OATH's terms of service.
  6. OATH's terms of service state (paraphrasing here) they are free to scan all your email. See here, section 4.
  7. The are 11 att email domains (listed here).  This represents domains accumulated from the baby bells SBC (since renamed att) accumulated over those years.
  8. There is no rule that you must use the email service provider (ESP) your ISP provides.  There are plenty of better ESP's than yahoo-provided email both free and/or pay, with webmail and/or POP/IMAP/SMTP support.

• 

1 Message

So if I'm understanding this right, if I cancel my ATT internet service, I CAN keep my sbcglobal.net email address? I've added Comcast wifi and don't need both, but I was told by an ATT rep that if I MAY lose access to my email address that I've had for decades of I cancel so of course I'm hesitant. Not true?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.