Protect yourself online
Jeeps1973's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Wednesday, November 2nd, 2016 12:48 AM

What is a HomePNA

I logged on to my router and saw the HomePNA networking box was enabled.  Also, I noticed there was a TL-WR810 device connected to my 2.5 network.  I blocked the mac address or the TL-WR810 and unchecked the HomePNA Network box.  Anyone know what they are?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

7 years ago

TL-WR810 is a multi purpose device from TP Link.  It could be a bridge serving one or more wired-only devices that need a wireless connection.  It could be serving as a Wireless Repeater (or Range Extender).  It looks like this:

TL-WR810N_un_V1_495_normal_1_20150926103058A TL-WR810N

Find more information about them at http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-9_TL-WR810N.html

HPNA (or HomePNA) is a protocol for networking over cable such as coax, or lower grade twisted pair, or even [maybe] quad cabling.  Your U-verse Gateway will communicate out of its Coax connector to IPTV Receivers via Coax or to HPNA Transceivers connected to, for instance, XBOXen (AT&T briefly supported the XBOX 360 as a TV Receiver and provided an HPNA tranceiver in the kit).  During the past week a poster wrote about issues he was having with two coax-fed TV Receivers and a recently connected HPNA adapter he was connecting his PC to.

If you don't have Coax connected to your Gateway, then you can turn it off without any issue.  OTOH, it also isn't causing any harm if there is no coax cable.  If you do have Coax connected devices, disabling HPNA will disable them.

1 Attachment

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

7 years ago

@Jeeps1973

HPNA is networking over the coax or RJ11 port on your gateway. By default, it sends the HPNA signal over the coax jack, which will send a signal to your wireless gateway over your cable wiring in your home. A HPNA adapter is required on the end to use the signal. If you do not have a cable connected to your coax connector on your gateway, then it wasn't doing anything.

As for the TL-WR810, have you or anyone who has been in your home ever had a TP-Link device? Is the device showing as online and what method it was connected through? It should say whether or not it was connected by Ethernet, wireless, or HPNA.

Edit: Looks like I was beat by JefferMC, haha.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

How fast is HomePNA ? If I use it as a wireless extender, what speeds should I see? Would it be comparable to the speeds from my AT&T fiber router ?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

I have bad security / hacker problems in my neighborhood, I also notice this is always enabled even though I constantly uncheck it. When I look at my router login:

InterfaceStatus/ Active / Devices
HPNAHomePNAEnabled00Wireless5GHz Wi-FiDisabled12
Wireless 2.4GHz Wi-FiDisabled00

I'm so paranoid (for good reason) I disable both my 2.4. and 5G WIFI. That fact this could be a potential "hidden hotspot" is a little bit disconcerting. It was my understanding it was only for phone service.

Anyone else?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

5 years ago

HPNA doesn't represent a potential "hidden hotspot," as the AT&T Gateways implement HPNA on the coax connector.  HPNA is not a wireless protocol.

Being paranoid does not mean everyone is out to get you.  Neither does it mean that they're not.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

I want my Wi-Fi to go less distance and not more. I switch off my 2.4 G and I only use the 5G. Unless you have an Amazon Kindle or something like that there’s really no need for the 2.4 these days anyways.

Sure, I might be a little bit paranoid but I don’t think a lot of people are being paranoid enough.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Every morning right around 7AM the HPNA starts blinking faster and then goes out on my U-Verse/AT&T router then our TV goes OFF and we miss about 4 minutes of the news then the HPNA returns to its normal blinking.  Any ideas?   Thanks, Terry

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.