Learn how you can get the iPhone 13 now!
JayD125's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Mon, Nov 14, 2016 5:30 PM

WD MyCloud will not connect since modem upgraded

Hi everyone,

We recently increased the speed of our Uverse internet to 75mbp which then included an upgraded modem.  Prior to that we had a WD Mycloud hardrive connected to our old modem for about 2 years and never had a probelm connecting to it when at home or away.  Ever since the new modem has been installed when I attempt to connect to the cloud it gives me an error message that "remote access has been disabled".  I have called Att and Western Digital, the maker of the cloud, but neither have been much help.  I'm pretty sure it has to do with 2 specific ports needing to be openend on our new modem but I'm not certain. I never had to open ports when I initailly set up the cloud 2 years ago so why would I have to now?  Has anyone else experienced a situation like this and what would be the easiest way to resolve it?

Thank you in advance.

ApexRon

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

5 y ago

See if this helps: WD MyCloud Solution

Let me know.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

5 y ago

As ApexRon's referenced post points out, some people have had an issue not with the IP connectivity through the Gateway to the WD hard drive, but at the physical Ethernet layer: the two devices do not negotiate the connection properly.  Connecting them both to a common network switch works around that issue.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 y ago

Thank you both for your reply and advice.  Although buying a netgear switch may resolve the issue, I am uncetain if that is the problem in my situation or if I even want to.  When I contacted WD they told me 2 specific ports needed to be open in order for the cloud to communicate with the modem, which they are not.  When I log into the firewall, I input the ip address of the cloud in order to create a "pinhole" for it through our firewall but get held up at the point where it asks me what applications I want to allow access to - I don't know which to select.  It just appears to list a bunch of online video games in the list of options to choose from.

In additon, If allowing the drive access does not resolve my issue, I do not think I should have to purchase additonal equipment in order to use a device I've had for years.  At&t should be repsonsible for providing us as customers the proper equipment to facilitate this or replace my modem with one it can communicate with.

Is there anything I could be missing when attempting to give the cloud access through our firewall?

Thanks in advance. 

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

5 y ago

If it's the Ethernet connectivity issue, then the WD drive won't be reachable from within your LAN either.  If it's a port-forwarding/firewall issue, the access will work within the home (using the private address) but won't work from outside the home (using the public address).

When two devices fail to interoperate properly, it's not always possible to point at one and say that it's at fault.  The WD Drive works with dozens of other routers, so it must be AT&T's Gateway, right?  But, wait, the Gateway works with thousands of other devices (desktops, laptops, etc. etc,), so it must be the WD Drive, right??

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 y ago

Well, we cannot access our cloud when we are at home or away.  Does that mean it is the ethernet connectivity issue for sure then? 

Do you know if ATT has routers that accomadate our speed but that are also compatible with our cloud?

And if I do have to go the route of purchaisng a network switch, what purpose does the switch serve and does it offer any additonal benefits?

Thank you very much for the help, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

5 y ago

Not working within the home doesn't conclusively prove that it's the physical Ethernet layer issue, but that's the way I'd bet.  The suggestion is to purchase a gigabit-capable Ethernet switch.  When required for an installation, AT&T would use the Netgear GS105 or GS108.  The normal purpose of the switch is to allow you to connect devices via Ethernet cables: you plug all your devices into the switch via Ethernet cables and they can talk to each other through the switch.  Think of it similar to an power strip, only for Ethernet.

Switches are most often used in the home to connect more than four devices to the Gateway; you use up one LAN port on the Gateway to Connect the switch, and you gain back all the ports on the switch.  In your case, you might not need the extra ports, but the switch would likely interoperate with both the Gateway and your WD Drive (several people have already reported that this works for them).  Amazon sells the GS105 for $30, and the GS108 for $33 (after rebate). 

AT&T uses two gateways now, the NVG599 and the 5268ac.  However, my understanding is that a market only uses one or the other, so it would be difficult for you to get switched between them.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 y ago

Ok, I have AT&T shipping me a new modem so hopefully this resolves my issue.  Thank you everyone for the help and I'll update once I get it working again.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.