Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wed, Jan 16, 2019 4:12 AM

Verify my email - SCAM?

Lately, I've been getting emails that say:  "Hello, Looks like you recently enrolled in paperless billing or changed the email for your account ending in XXXX. We're serious about your security, so we won't email account info until we're sure you're the one who requested the update. Just let us know it was you by verifying your email. It only takes a second!

Link to VERIFY EMAIL.

Don't wait — this link expires in 10 days."  

As far as I know, I haven't had any activity whatsoever on the site to change anything in 9-12 months.  So I'm suspecting phishing.  Any thoughts?

Responses

_xyzzy_

ACE - Expert

• 

15K Messages

1 year ago

I agree it's phishing.  It would be interesting if you had included the link it showed.

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click "Like" if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

The “suspicious” link pointed here: 

https://clicks.att.com/OCT/eTrac?EMAIL_ID=13....000261&finalURL=https://m.att.com/my/#/verifyEmail?p=kEk.x@BxT.ZW1Gy

I thought it was also SCAM because the subject of the email was “Immediate Action Required: Verify email address”   To me, it seemed to communicate more urgency than the situation warranted. 

_xyzzy_

ACE - Expert

• 

15K Messages

1 year ago

I think clicks.att.com is a tracking url which redirects to the actual url, m.att.com/my/#.  The m.att.com/my/# takes you to your myAT&T login page.  So maybe this is a legit url although I don't understand what might be the tracking redirection in front of it.

Did you "recently enrolled in paperless billing or changed the email for your account"?

Whether you did or didn't I would still just ignore that email.

By the way I recommend you edit your post with that link to invalidate the link (e.g, remove the EMAIL_ID and verifyEmail with the encoded string on the end) to keep anyone here from clicking it.

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click "Like" if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

Thanks again for your help.  I did modify the link so that it should go nowhere.  The whole reason I came to the forum is that I hadn't logged on for at least a year - so when emails came asking me to verify, it didn't seem right - especially with the hype.

I would never click a link in an email anyway, so when I did log in and didn't find any messages waiting - I assumed email phishing scam.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

*REDACTED*

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

*REDACTED*

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

*REDACTED*

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

*REDACTED*

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 months ago

HOW DO I SIGN IN ?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 months ago

Verify my email.  [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 months ago

Same situation.  Probably a scam. Here is the link button "Confirm email" it tells you to click:

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

content:

Keep your account info safe 

Hello, 

We'd like to start emailing important billing info to your account ending in 2163. But, first, we need you to confirm your email address for this account. 

To comply with government regulations, we have to get your consent to email you certain info. This includes notices that your bill is ready, order confirmations, and status updates. 

Take a minute to confirm your email address so we can email you this important account info. 

Heads up — we need a valid email for paperless billing. If you don't confirm your email within 45 days of signing up, we'll have to change your account status back to paper billing. You'll also lose any paperless billing discounts. 

We care about helping you keep your account secure. Didn't make any changes to your wireless account? Think you got this message by mistake? Call us at 800.288.2020. 

Thanks for choosing us,
AT&T

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 months ago

and this is the link I got - it's telling me that people with certain older email addresses, like prodigy.net, won't be able to log in anymore until the address is verified.  and then it gives this link and sings it like you see here...

Sincerely, 

AT&T Online Service
c 2019!, Inc. All rights reserved

_xyzzy_

ACE - Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 months ago

@jamieah 

When you see a link that you think is suspicious mouse over it but do not click it.  When you mouse over it your browser should display the actual link that would be used if you click it.  Depending on the browser it might show in a status bar, url (location) bar, whatever.  In you case when I mouse over the link you posted I see it's trying to go  a place called forms.office.com along with a bunch of additional location info including a long string of characters.  That string is a definite cue that link is suspicious and forms.office.com is not an att address.  That's another cue it's a phishing email to be trashed.

Also, in the case of these email verifies, email never has to be "verified".  You can either login to your email account or you can't and your browser can display the webmail or it can't. 

• 

2 Messages

4 weeks ago

I just got an email that starts of with "Hello" in a different font size that a supposed notice from AT&T re CPNI (Customer Proprietary Network Information). Additionally, there's wording that doesn't seem to be stuff typically included in formal corporate communication (e.g. ...If you are OK with this, great...). Anyone else receive something similar?

• 

2 Messages

4 weeks ago

I just received an email supposedly from AT&T that starts off with "Hello" in a different font size than the rest of the email. Additionally, there's wording included in the note that doesn't give the impression it's a legit corporate communication (e.g. "... If you're OK with this, great..."). There are hot links in the note too. I'm thinking... SCAM. Has anyone else received something similar?