Protect yourself online
teffertoes's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, August 5th, 2010 11:25 PM

Unmerging Yahoo & AT&T email accounts

It appears my Yahoo email account has been hacked. When I went in to change the password, it told me I had to change it via my merged AT&T account. Well, I haven't had AT&T for a couple of years and never unmerged that account from Yahoo after I left, apparently. When I try to go in with my former AT&T account, I initially get in and it says:

"We're sorry, the AT&T sevice you are attempting to access is not available using the login information you provided.
To continue, please select the login button for one of the services below."

I then get sent to the initial login for the AT&T account manager, but I can't login because I haven't been with AT&T for at least a year to 2 years. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to abandon my Yahoo account because I have too many things associated with it.

I'd appreciate any help you could give me.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Heres a solution I was able to do that FINALLY:

CAUTION - Performing the UNMERGE will remove some of the premium features that a merged ATT.NET account brought,

such as free POP3 access to your email (you'll have to pay for it with regular Yahoo!).

1) Log into ATT.com using my ATT.net credentials (go to www.att.com - do not go to www.att.net as this redirects

to Yahoo!):

Login = Usernam@att.net (Not the Yahoo address)

Password = (should be same as your linked Yahoo! password)

2)Go to your profile.  I don't recall the exact steps, as I don't have access to my ATT.com account after

performing this step.  Look for a link that says "DELETE EMAIL".  This should be next to where your

"username@att.net" is displayed.  This will delete your ATT.NET email account.

3)Go to Yahoo.com and log in using your "username@yahoo.com" login.  Yahoo! will now realize that you don't have

an ATT.NET account to associate with your Yahoo! account, and will prompt you to "UNMERGE" your account.   Click

the "UNMERGE" button.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

This is not the accepted solution.  It does not work.  I called and sent instant message and the response from support was "that should work, are you sure its not working?" (that was what was said to me).

Will still keep looking but has cost 1 hr chat time and 2 hours phone time so far.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I just deleted my att.net account and encountered an additional step...

I got to my att.net proflile, selected Delete Account, and logged out.

I went to my yahoo.com account and got a big warning message that my att.net account was cancelled and do I want to transfer the att.net (email) information to a NEW Yahoo account.  Concerned that I would lose all my data, I tried to xfer the info to my existing yahoo.com account but it would not accept that - I got an Account Already Exists error message.  So I created a new Yahoo.com account and indeed all my email was transferred to the new account.  The good news is that my existing (old) yahoo.com account information was not lost.

Problem solved!

Thank you for your help!

... Jeff

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I lost money on iTunes due to merging of yahoo and AT&T it said invalid but still took the money

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Was able to delete email on att profile page, but yahoo password helper still routes me to att so I'm still unable to change my yahoo password. Please help me change my yahoo password.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Im having the same problems now. I dont even have an att.net account but for some reason, every time people reply to original email, it always sends to ***@att.net! I can't call the company because i live all the way in the Philippines. I tried logging on the att.com but i cant get through! it says "the user id and password combination you entered doesnt match any entries in our files." What am i supposed to do??

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

8 years ago

I am tryin to unmerge a subaccount from Yahoo. I have looked at the forums and AT&T support pages, but they don't provide an answer. I am not trying to unmerge the primary account, only the subaccount.

I looked here, but this does not work.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/dsl-high-speed/KM1047015

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

All of us old AT&T and SBCGlobal customers are probably frantically trying to do the same thing since news of the yahoo hack: change our yahoo password. Unfortunately, clicking on "change password" redirects you to AT&T, but if you no longer have an AT&T account, you're in an endless loop. After 1 hour 41 minutes on the phone, my old sbcglobal account and my yahoo account are finally unlinked! Be dogged and determined! It says right on yahoo's help screen that the only way to unlink the accounts is to call the old ISP, which in my case, was sbc, now at&t.

The person that was finally able to help me was a web assistant in the online support team at AT&T at (877) 267-2988. This was after speaking with 4 other departments. Each time, before they transferred me, I asked that they explain exactly what I need and verify that the person can help me before transferring. This prevented me from having to re-explain my issue to each new technician. If you don't remember the verbal passcode on your old att/sbc account (which I didn't, seeing as I had the account 12 years ago), they will ask you a security question that you set up when you first established the account. Mine was my favorite restaurant. That verified my account. She then directed me to sign into my old sbcglobal.net email account, and informed me that the password would be the same as my yahoo account. I was skeptical, but voila! It worked! Once in, I could see that my ATT account was linked with one other account (which I knew to be my yahoo account). There was an option to link another, but no option to "unlink". She kept asking me to find a "delete account" option, but it just wasn't there. She then was able to delete it for me. It worked! The accounts are no longer linked! The ATT logo has disappeared from my yahoo page, and I was able to change my yahoo password without it redirecting me to AT&T.

Some departments that tried along the way, but couldn't help: a Uverse technician (I briefly had a uverse account from 2010-11) and a dsl technician (my sbcglobal account from 2004, which was linked to my yahoo account). Don't go down those roads.

There is help out there! Stay focused and good luck!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Resolved - Changing Password Issue for Customers who merged their AT&T acct with their Yahoo acct

Problem: If you had an Yahoo email account that was merged with your old AT&T DSL or uVerse account you are vulnerable. I spent 2 hours on the phone with AT&T trying to figure this issue out and was forwarded to 2 different people who could not resolve this issue and told me that they will call me the following day.  

If you log into your AT&T Account and change your PW there thinking it will change both your Yahoo and AT&T passwords, the change will not sync with the Yahoo Acct. Your Yahoo PW will never change and will still be the old PW. 

So I thought I try the forgot pw option and it worked. If you want to change your password go to Yahoo website and use the forgot password to properly sync your new PW  with AT&T. You will be directed to AT&T website to change your password which is fine.  Once you change it will change in both places.  

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

8 years ago

What is the email address you are having issues with? 

Thank you,
TimB U-verse Social Media Manager
1pm - 10pm CST Saturday - Wednesday
Please try out our newly improved Troubleshoot and Resolve tool at att.com/ufix

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.