Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
teffertoes

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Thu, Aug 5, 2010 11:25 PM

Unmerging Yahoo & AT&T email accounts

It appears my Yahoo email account has been hacked. When I went in to change the password, it told me I had to change it via my merged AT&T account. Well, I haven't had AT&T for a couple of years and never unmerged that account from Yahoo after I left, apparently. When I try to go in with my former AT&T account, I initially get in and it says:

"We're sorry, the AT&T sevice you are attempting to access is not available using the login information you provided.
To continue, please select the login button for one of the services below."

I then get sent to the initial login for the AT&T account manager, but I can't login because I haven't been with AT&T for at least a year to 2 years. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to abandon my Yahoo account because I have too many things associated with it.

I'd appreciate any help you could give me.

Responses

ATTDmitriyCM

Community Manager

• 

9.5K Messages

6 years ago

Hello @IngridO 

Are you sure your accounts are actually merged? If the option is not there is sounds to me like they're not merged or already unmerged.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have an answer that worked for you? Help other users by marking helpful posts as an "Accepted Answer". And don't forget to leave a Like!

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I was talking with tech ATT tech support for over an hour and they were unable to help me delete my ATT/Yahoo account. None of their advice worked. They system does not display an option for me to delete the Yahoo account, and Yahoo simply always sends me over to ATT.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Steve [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

namechange

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

i have to say that i am pis$ed that i have to use yahoo at all. i was not informed of this when i signed up, or it never would have happened.

yahoo is one of the most insecure, ad laden crapholes that exist. they will sell your info, no matter how much you tell them not to. i have done everthing i can to keep away from them, and now they have all of my info.

when i call and complain, i am told that i can remove my att.net from yahoo, but i will be unable to use the internet because it is going to continue to ask me to log in through that shythole.

pis$ed

Tigereyze209

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

6 years ago

To my knowledge, ATT has never made it any secret that they contract their e-mail service thru Yahoo.

In any case, even as a customer, you are not obligated to use the e-mail account provided by att thru yahoo. You could do google, or hotmail, or any of several others.

It is a matter of personal choice.

Hope you figure out a remedy to your situation.

OH!. And only the e-mail goes thru Yahoo. Everything else goes thru att's servers. The global login is only provided as a matter of conveniance for linking several accounts into on login. But, you can log in to the individual accounts if you prefer rather than the global login.

No one is obligated to using it, if they prefer.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Same thing happens her. Delete e-mail is no longer an option.

I feel I am in an endless cycle and I keep getting back to this page:

As an SBC Yahoo! customer you have reached this page in error. Please Change your password to continue.

namechange

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

i understand that i do not have to use yahoo for my email provider.

my problem is that yahoo now has all of my info, and there is nothing that they will do about that. they (yahoo) can, and will, sell my name and any other info att chose to share with them.

this pis$es me off.

Tigereyze209

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

6 years ago

While I am sympathetic to your concern, I am at a loss to understand what sensitive information they have that they could re-sell.

Your profile only has what you posted, and one is not obligated (and in fact, these days, discouraged from) entering ones real life information into a "free" e-mail account.

ATT's customer information is not shared with yahoo beyond name and password, so anything wore you shared was entirly up to you.

Still, take care.

namechange

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

not so. without me giving them a thing, they had my full name, address and phone number. all displayed for me as i was attempting to remove all of the info from their site. add that to my email and they have full access to me

that is info that att had no right to give to them. i have already changed my phone number, an have zero intentionof giving it to att.

Tigereyze209

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

5 years ago

Unless you have an unpublished service, ALL the information you listed is publicly available anyways.

All it takes to make it available to anyone is simple things like, a utility bill in your name, children enrolled in a public (or even private) school, any property transfers, registration of licences (trade, business, sales tax, etc.), any kind of legal filing (marrage, divorce, lawsuit, etc) and on and on.

The days of living anonymously in the information age is a thing of the past, and a myth.

There are suposedly ways of removing yourself totaly from the grid, but that is like living off the land with no power, etc. (basicaly, move to about any third world country.)

Even totaly private information you think is hidden, is available to anyone for as little as 30-50 bucks to do a private search.

My point, the information is available to anyone that wants it, if they want it. 

Now, I understand, you want to avoid unsoliceted sales calls and so on. So do most of us, and why products like robocall blockers and such are big sellers.

It would be nice if we could really avoid them. Not the reality of todays world, but it would be nice.

Am done with the topic. Have a great life.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

thank so very much. that worked and it was easy to do

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Heres a solution I was able to do that FINALLY:

CAUTION - Performing the UNMERGE will remove some of the premium features that a merged ATT.NET account brought,

such as free POP3 access to your email (you'll have to pay for it with regular Yahoo!).

1) Log into ATT.com using my ATT.net credentials (go to www.att.com - do not go to www.att.net as this redirects

to Yahoo!):

Login = Usernam@att.net (Not the Yahoo address)

Password = (should be same as your linked Yahoo! password)

2)Go to your profile.  I don't recall the exact steps, as I don't have access to my ATT.com account after

performing this step.  Look for a link that says "DELETE EMAIL".  This should be next to where your

"username@att.net" is displayed.  This will delete your ATT.NET email account.

3)Go to Yahoo.com and log in using your "username@yahoo.com" login.  Yahoo! will now realize that you don't have

an ATT.NET account to associate with your Yahoo! account, and will prompt you to "UNMERGE" your account.   Click

the "UNMERGE" button.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

This is not the accepted solution.  It does not work.  I called and sent instant message and the response from support was "that should work, are you sure its not working?" (that was what was said to me).

Will still keep looking but has cost 1 hr chat time and 2 hours phone time so far.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I just deleted my att.net account and encountered an additional step...

I got to my att.net proflile, selected Delete Account, and logged out.

I went to my yahoo.com account and got a big warning message that my att.net account was cancelled and do I want to transfer the att.net (email) information to a NEW Yahoo account.  Concerned that I would lose all my data, I tried to xfer the info to my existing yahoo.com account but it would not accept that - I got an Account Already Exists error message.  So I created a new Yahoo.com account and indeed all my email was transferred to the new account.  The good news is that my existing (old) yahoo.com account information was not lost.

Problem solved!

Thank you for your help!

... Jeff

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I lost money on iTunes due to merging of yahoo and AT&T it said invalid but still took the money

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Was able to delete email on att profile page, but yahoo password helper still routes me to att so I'm still unable to change my yahoo password. Please help me change my yahoo password.

Get started...

Ask a new question