For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
teffertoes's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, August 5th, 2010 11:25 PM

Unmerging Yahoo & AT&T email accounts

It appears my Yahoo email account has been hacked. When I went in to change the password, it told me I had to change it via my merged AT&T account. Well, I haven't had AT&T for a couple of years and never unmerged that account from Yahoo after I left, apparently. When I try to go in with my former AT&T account, I initially get in and it says:

"We're sorry, the AT&T sevice you are attempting to access is not available using the login information you provided.
To continue, please select the login button for one of the services below."

I then get sent to the initial login for the AT&T account manager, but I can't login because I haven't been with AT&T for at least a year to 2 years. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to abandon my Yahoo account because I have too many things associated with it.

I'd appreciate any help you could give me.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I noticed a sub account "outlook.com" under my sbcglobal.net email that I did not create. I deleted it and added my gmail account. But I'm concerned that my sbcglobal email has been hacked. A friend used the outlook address, but I did not receive it.  Another friend used it along with my sbcglobal account. Apparently, when they typed my name in the address of their emails, both addresses appeared.  Please he please help. 

Sheryl

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Please verify that you received my message. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

@cit1981 Agreed, this has been a nightmare for me.  I actually already tried the ATT chat, spending over an hour on that being passed from person to person.  

My problem is not even close to being resolved.  I've tried this:  https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/dsl-high-speed/KM1047015 to no avail.  No one I talked with recommended these steps despite having access to it.  No one I talked to would even look at that link to get an idea of the problem without me having to explain it over and over.

I'm amazed that something so simple (changing a password) has been made impossible by ATT.  I find myself trying the same things over and over (expecting different results).  What I can say about the ATT customer service is that everyone has been very nice and empathetic in the midst of their incompetence.  

In the meantime, my Yahoo account has been sending boatloads of spam.  I've deleted all my contacts and all my old emails, some of which I had archived with very important personal info.

Now the hackers have been probing my defenses on many of my retail / banking / Social media accounts where I may have had my Yahoo email as a backup.  I think I am safe, but can't be sure.  I might have something important that I forgot.  Somewhere I may have used the Yahoo login where they can gain access.  I've had the Yahoo account for well over ten years, it was my login for many things.  I had it for years prior to getting service with ATT (Sbcglobal)

Looks like the media is getting wind of this issue too: CBS News Story

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

@ Ross We must be living in alternate universes. I received no voicemails or private messages, I was the one who left several voicemails without a call back. If I had, why would I have had to resort to trying other avenues for support. In any case, I have solved the issue as noted by my marking my post as solved. I consider this thread and matter closed as of this point and will no longer be responding to any posts.

P.S. As further evidence of the ineptitude of AT&T support, here are the two latest private messages to me which have nothing to do with my problem as would be obvious from anyone actually taking time to read my posts.

Sent: ‎11-07-2016 7:38:54 PM

We are here and still able to assist with unmerging the Yahoo account from the AT&T email accounts. We will need to authenticate the account first as you've been previously advised as this can potentially lose all data on the AT&T email accounts. I understand that the contents being lost is alarming but we will still need to follow process. 

Are you able to initiate a short chat session with us to perform the authentication so we can proceed with this? 

Sent: ‎11-08-2016 12:03:15 PM

Hi,

We apologize for any confusions. The primary and sub-accounts are one account, and the move as one. There is no way to separate them.

Thank you,

ATTU-verseCare

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I had this same issue.  Somewhere along the way it seemed to have merged my yahoo email with a @sbcglobal.net email during the SBC Global days.  Then somewhere along the way I got a att.net email.  When I tried to change the password through Yahoo mail, it was sending me to att, where I would end up changing the att email password, and the Yahoo mail password was unchanged.  What I did was this; follow the directions of 

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1047015

BUT instead of using your att.net/com email in the login screent, use the sbcglobal.net email address and password (password was same as the current Yahoo mail).  Then I was able to delete the account.  When I then went back to Yahoo mail, it detected the unmerge and I was free of sbc,att malarkey, and I was able to change the password.  It wasn't easy to remember the sbcglobal email..

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Yeah, tried all that. Many times, many different configurations. My
problem is that the sbcglobal account no longer exists since I dropped the
DSL service years ago. Confirmed that by sending an email to
xxxxx.sbcglobal.net.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

So my yahoo account got hacked. When I try to change the password, it directs me to ATT. I dont have access to whatever the ATT account is, nor did I ever want these accounts linked. Now theres no way for me to change my password meanwhile someone in Hong Kong is having a field day with my personal information and spamming all of my social media. 

Any ideas?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I need to unmerge my ATT and Yahoo accounts, BUT I desire to keep my ATT account and do away with whatever coupling Yahoo provides. I try to call Yahoo to solve this and it directs me to ATT which is no help at all.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

With the latest news of the biggest Yahoo hack ever, you may be trying to unmerge your Yahoo and AT&T accounts in order to change your Yahoo password. Like many people, I had an old AT&T DSL account that was somehow merged with my Yahoo account, and I was unable to change my Yahoo password, and I assumed I no longer had an AT&T account.

Well as it turns out, even though my DSL subscription was cancelled more than 2 years ago, fortunately I still had an att.com account. Unfortunately, I could not remember my old sbcglobal.net address, user ID or password. But when I tried entering my Yahoo email address in the account recovery page, it worked. After answering my security questions, I was able to reset my att.com password.

From there, following earlier advice in this thread, I went to "Profile" and after poking around a bit, I found the option to "delete email". Then I went back to Yahoo and when I tried to log on, it gave me an option to unmerge my AT&T account. Once I did that, I was able to access the Yahoo password reset page.

I hope this helps anyone in the same situation.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Hi guys, having same problem as everyone else.

I logged into the ATT.com account and can't seem to find the delete email option.

I used the steps outlined here: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/email-support/KM1047015

And above by the other users/contributors.

I can get to my profile > there are 3 sub-tabs:

Account Information, User Information, Manage Sub-Account

Under Account Information, I have  Account Info, Billing Contact Info, Billing Notifications, Paper Bill Options, Service Address, Privacy Settings

Under User Information, I have Personal Information: 

Under Manage Sub-Accounts, I have one unrelated disabled sub account

I can't find the delete account/email option anywhere.

Can anyone help?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.