Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!
jstateson

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Wed, May 22, 2019 10:17 PM

Unable to send email when reply-to field is different from account email.

My ATT server is yahoo and I assume the problem is the same at the ATT server.  This is Outlook 365 on windows 10.

I own a domain name and I use that as my reply-to address.  It seems that AT&T (yahoo) is checking to see if the account email matches the reply-to email.  I have never had a problem with that until recently.  I set the "reply-to" email to blank  (deleted it from email account) and I can now send email using outlook.  Gmail account in Outlook never had a problem with having reply-to different from the account email.

For years now, I have my domain name forwarding to whatever ISP is my provider but it seems I cannot do that anymore, at least with AT&T.  

Currently, I get all types of spam phone calls on my AT&T iPhone daily, and the caller ID is spoofed.  So it seems AT&T cannot stop a fake phone call but they can stop an email from going out that uses a different return address.  What hypocrisy! 

Responses

_xyzzy_

ACE - Expert

• 

15K Messages

a year ago

See my reply in post 4 in your other thread about this.  I replied there before I saw you created this thread.  There I thought you had a forwarding service but here I see you really meant your have own personal domain (don't want to update/edit that post now).  I use a forwarding service but my reply-to was set up in the webmail long before I think they started validating the reply-to setting.

With a forwarding service like I have I can see how validation might work.  Yahoo sends email to forwarding service and forwarding service sends to actual email service where you can reply to the validation request.  Even though I get no email sent to my att email address (never gave to anyone) I am not about to experiment doing this with my own now since it works.  I have forwarding set up only in case any email sneaks in there (never has except for my testing it).   But like I said I set up mine many years ago long before validating was being done.   I've used that forwarding address since the 90's and all my contacts know about that address (so do spammers too being so old but that's off topic).

With a personal domain (don't have one of them to test it out since I never needed it because the forwarding service has always been "good enough").   I could see how you have an email service that supports personal domains and thus the validation should end up there.  So I would think it would behave the same as using a forwarding service and the yahoo validation shouldn't know the difference.

So if your email is being picked up by some email service that allows use of your valid domain, why is you cannot validate the reply-to in the webmail?  If it was already in the webmail reply-to setting and marked validated and worked before why not now?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
jstateson

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

a year ago

I have personal domain on godaddy and it forwards to my ISP which currently is AT&T.  My brother has spectrum and he has his reply-to field set to his Texas A&M alumni email.  He has no problem with that not do I when emailing using the gmail smtp.  I have outlook setup for two account.  It is the AT&T account that does not like the email to be different.

I have seen this problem before and it was not the ISP blocking.  I recall trying to register either at eHarmony or Match and my email was rejected (the private domain one) but they gave a reason, not just a 550 error.  They stated that my email had to match the account email so I had to give my actual ATT email when registering.  I am not sure if they still have that policy.

I also found out that the default smtp server, the one that shows up adjacent to the "from" field, is a function of which inbox I clicked on to check mail.  If I clicked on the AT&T inbox then the default sending server is the AT&T one.  Ditto for gmail.

Have another question that needs answering but it is Microsoft outlook related.  My iPhone has "favorites" and combines both inboxes but the "favorites" on Outlook 365 seem to have no way to combine so I have to click on both to look at incoming mail for both accounts.

_xyzzy_

ACE - Expert

• 

15K Messages

a year ago

Oh well, what can I say?  My forwarding service, which is a service provided by a professional computer organization of which I am a member, has always worked no matter where I use my email address that uses the organization's domain.  I have yet to encounter any place that rejects it but that's not saying they are out there like the ones you encountered.

I have seen this problem before and it was not the ISP blocking.  I recall trying to register either at eHarmony or Match and my email was rejected (the private domain one) but they gave a reason, not just a 550 error.  They stated that my email had to match the account email so I had to give my actual ATT email when registering.  I am not sure if they still have that policy.

I never used eHarmony or Match so why didn't you use the same email address (your personal domain's) for all places that wanted an email address?  Then they would match.   How would they know you are using a personal domain unless they had some kind of blacklist?

As for Microsoft outlook questions you could try the Microsoft Support and/or Community forums.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
jstateson

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

a year ago

Think about this:  I like having the same name.   I like having the same social security #,  I like having the same email. I cant always stay at the same job or in the same location.

If you move to another location what changes besides the address?  Well, if sbcglobal is not there your email must change.   If texas.net is not there your email is no good any more.  If netzero is not available you cant use your netzero.  If your company switches from .edu to .org your email changes, If yahoo gets taken over your email changes.  All the above has happened to me.  I learned long ago to get a permanent email, $10 a year from various domain sellers, and have all my email forwarded to whoever is my ISP which currently is AT&T.  This works perfectly if you put your store bought email into the "reply -to" field and is fully supported by Microsoft in Outlook app.  AFAICT all other email app vendors allow that.  However AT&T has seen fit to stop outgoing email from a paid subscriber because the reply-to does not match the account email.   All this from a company that cannot figure out how to stop spam phone calls that use fake caller ids.

Think about this:  You get in an email and want to add it to your contacts.  You click on the "from" person and select "add to contacts".  What gets added?  The "reply-to" field.  My sister (admittedly computer illlerate) called me to complain she had about 6 emails and wanted to know which one to use so she could delete the others.  This was when I decided to buy a personal email.  

I expected more from an AT&T forum expert.

_xyzzy_

ACE - Expert

• 

15K Messages

a year ago

However AT&T has seen fit to stop outgoing email from a paid subscriber because the reply-to does not match the account email.

What are you trying to convince me of?  Way back at the beginning of this thread I said I do the same thing (albeit with a forwarding service instead of a personal domain) for all the exact same reasons and have had my email address across a number of ISP over the years.  So att does allow the reply-to to be different from the att account email address.

I've been able to use my email address on the ISP's provided email service on my primary email clients (Eudora once upon a time, now Thunderbird, and I keep a working Apple Mail and Outlook lying around for reference purposes).  I've never had any problems using my personal email address as the reply-to and that includes att. 

I don't know why your personal email address doesn't work.  Could there be something wrong with the domain's setup (PTR, DKIM, SPF, etc.) that att (or more probably yahoo) specifically doesn't like?  I don't know.  I suspect if you could ever get past the reply-to setup in the webmail you would be good to go.  At this point I don't know what else to suggest.

jstateson

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

a year ago

I am over at answers.microsoft and getting nowhere so far asking for help.

I recently got on yahoo  (mail web page), it has been a while, and noticed they welcomed me "Hello Mary xxxxxx" and asked if I wanted to change to the upgraded mail handler..  My mother died 8 years ago but her email was in my name.  I first noticed the problem (calling me Mary xxxxxx) when at&t started using yahoo as they picked up my email my mother was using when I used that for my own account at AT&T.  Anyway, I managed to fix this as the new email manager allowed me to change "male" to "female"  in account settings. I was unable to find where "Mary xxxxxx" was to change that.  Hopefully I will not see it again.