Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sun, Apr 7, 2019 9:55 AM

thunderbird accounts

How do you re-set your "thunderbird account" ? I am having trouble sending emails.

Responses

_xyzzy_

ACE - Expert

• 

15K Messages

a year ago

Not sure what you mean by "reset" in the context of email, client or otherwise.  You can always change the settings in any client for the associated account.  For att/yahoo email the proper server settings are defined here.  That article also recommends you use a secure mail key instead of your account password.

You say you have trouble sending.  What happens when you send?  Can you even send in the webmail?  If not change your account password (e.g., Forgot ID/Password).

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click "Like" if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

ATT just had a security update that they did not notify anyone about, not even their support people.  See

tinyurl.com/yxm6rnj8

you need to create a secure key but that may not resolve your problem. since they have a bug.

Your reply to address must be the same as your ATT address

The error message says something about  no mailbox

_xyzzy_

ACE - Expert

• 

15K Messages

a year ago

The secure mail key has been around since about February 2018 so it's not new.  But that's the way att "announces" changes.  It's stupid, I agree.  Like you just have to know it is there.  But that's the way it is.  Since that time they have added the secure key reference to other articles (the email client setups and the server settings) so it' not as secret any more.

As for the reply-to email address being different from the actual account there was just another recent thread on that problem.  That's a separate problem from using the secure mail key.  As I posted in that thread I have no explanation why that is happening.  If the reply-to is accepted as valid in the webmail settings (which makes one wonder why you have to do it there if you are using an email client app instead of the webmail) then I believe it should work.   It does for me and by the way I also use Thunderbird.   I think validating the webmail reply-to setting is something more recent because I think you used to be able to put any email address in there.  I guess it's to discourage using att/yahoo accounts for spamming.

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click "Like" if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

Thanks;  I wasted many hours on this.  Apparently both things were
implemented at the same time without notice.  The ATT people were
clueless.  Finally I talked to the supervisor of a supervisor and he
gave me a free access to  ATT connect-tech who spent over 30 minutes
before changing my returnaddress which is a forwarding service.  I
did a google search on  the error message but found nothing.  I
chanced to find the password key thing
_xyzzy_

ACE - Expert

• 

15K Messages

a year ago

@emcramer2 

FWIW I use a forwarding service too but then my reply-to was set in the webmail many years ago.

As for the error message IMO that's business as usual with yahoo.  It must be beyond their capability to just say reply-to (of From) email address invalid or something more to the point.

I am not sure this was changed way back when the secure key was added because yours and the other thread (and possibly yet another thread I just saw - they haven't answered my reply yet whether they are using a different reply-to but there description sounded like it was) haven't reported problems like this before a day ago in these forums as best as I can remember.