For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
yahdi18's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, July 4th, 2018 4:55 PM

Spam/Advertising from .de

Is anyone else getting an obscene amount of spam/advertising emails from various email addresses ending with .de?  If so, how can this be stopped?  I'm talking 50 to 150 per day.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Create a filter that checks for any incoming email that has a From address that ends with .de and if matched moves it to the spam of trash.

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

6 years ago

I've read a bazillion solutions to this problem. They don't work. I get 100 a day or more. They are all fake websites and clicking on unsubscribe unleashes a flurry of redirects. I use pop on Thunderbird at home and I never see them but on my phone on cellular (translate that to slowwww) I have to download them first. This is inane. Why can't imap users turn off junk folder fetching? 

The common solution is to have them in junk. That's fine but they have to download to delete them. Is there no where to stop them at the server? Even if I delete from my phone after download they are still there on the server. Meaning I have to do this again. 

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

6 years ago

I have created two filters and blocked two addresses. Here they are:

cbd*@*.de and *.@*.de. In the old days one could block countries. My old blocks are still in place including the last one. 

None of these are working. 

But I need to say that there are no products at the end of these links. They are merely phishing attacks. 

My solution is to move to another email address. Deleting on phone by slide/confirm over and over, one by one took about 2 min to get ride of the 250 I woke to. 

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Those kind of filters don't work because (a) yahoo doesn't support globbing or regular expression pattern matching and (b) if this stuff is already being filtered into the spam box by the att/yahoo spam filters they take precedence over any user defined settings so even if the pattern matching worked it wouldn't never get a chance to be applied.  My original reply was based on the assumption the stuff was not already being filtered into the spam box.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Maybe it's time to create a new email address and inform contacts and businesses of the new email address.

Then keep the old email address alive and have the email provider suffer with the wasted disk space being consumed trying to store the mess they created.  I have implied emails from contacts that I deleted years ago.  Which tells me that the email provider got hacked and are currently incapable, by appearance, of doing anything about the spam flood.  So we can fight back by getting a new address and let the old one use up the providers resources until such time that they wake up!

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

@Educated_Guess:

You could do what you suggested, i.e., change email addresses and inform all your contacts.  Indeed I often suggest that but apparently that idea doesn't go over so well with a lot of users.  As for the spam filling up the spam box, like the trash, the spam box is periodically purged within 30 days.

FYI there's a discussion on this, specifically started because of the cbd stuff in this other thread.  That one started after this thread before I knew exactly what format those cbd email addresses were actually being used.  At the time this thread was started I didn't know the format, only that the OP here was asking about email addresses that ended with .de.

Mentor

• 

17 Messages

6 years ago

Also check the "Robo Spam" posting for additional info.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I think all these issues should be addressed and stopped by AT&T, Google and Yahoo!!  Maybe we should change to Comcast.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

@RJstressed said:

Maybe we should change to Comcast.

What makes you think it would be any better there?  It might only be different spam.  There's spam sent to almost all email users to varying degrees no matter which email service provider they are using.  But different services may (and some actually do) give you better tools for your to fight it.  Obviously yahoo is not one of them.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.