Protect yourself online
Eyebeam's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, February 18th, 2015 12:04 AM

Pages load slowly.

It's been about a week now.  Don't know if it's coincedence or not, but it seemed to have happened after all the Windows 7 updates last Tuesday followed by a McAfee update on Wednesday.  But I first noticed it right after the McAfee update required me to reboot my computer.   Suddenly ANY webpage I visited took forever to load (longer if there were lots of images and/or videos, like Facebook).  I've rebooted several times, both the computer and the modem/router.  I've flushed the DNS. I've cleared my browser cache.  I've run CCleaner, Malwarebytes, and ESET's online scanning program.  I've tried the unchecking of the ipv6 box on my network adapter.  Probably a couple of other things that I'm forgetting as well.  (Also noticed when opening my email program, it seems to lag as well when checking for new mail).  

I just checked my PS3, doing an internet connection test (fine), using the web browser to go to Google (popped right up) and streaming a random show on Netflix (seemed okay to me).  That narrows it down to something on my computer then and not necessarily the network.

Other than trying a few pages without McAfee turned on, I'm not sure where else to look to solve this issue.

EDIT:  No dice.  Turning off McAfee made no difference; pages still are slow to load.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Well, I was going to try a system restore but was unable to (no previous restore points).

I tried running in safe-mode but still slow browsing.

When I tried to start a clean boot using msconfig, I notice that all the boxes for McAfee products would stay checked even after I unchecked them, repeatedly.  So, in oreder to determine if it was as I suspected initially, something to do with McAfee, I ran their removal tool, rebooted and voila!  No more slow browsing.

Soooooooo, AT&T, you may want to have a chat with the McAfee people about that last update.

In the meantime, I'm using a different anti-virus product.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

You could try restoring to a checkpoint PRIOR to the updates, and see if that helps any.

Other than that, not sure what else to sugest.

Sounds like you have already done the basic remidies.

Hopefully, someone else with more experiance can give better sugestions.

You know, I just remembered reading about one of the updates that microsoft had to pull because it was causing systems to lock up.  Maybe that is your problem. Maybe it slipped thru before they pulled it.

In any case, can't hurt to check.

Good luck

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

Wahoo! Horray for you!@  Glad you puzzled it out. You don't know it, but you have helped others with the same problem. As a help to tohers, please be sure to mark the post where you got it fixed as the accepted solution, so others can see what ya did, and how you did it.

Thumbs up and thank you!

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Yeah, like I said, the McAfee update that required a reboot was my first suspect since that's when I first noticed it (at the same time I noticed ALL of my quickbar icons had disappeared).  After trying everything to find a solution, my best guess is that when McAfee applied the update, it left remnents of the previous installation, so in a sense, TWO anti-virus programs were running concurrently.

Now the only issue left over is that Chrome and Facebook no longer play well together (I think it's when FB tries to load up the chat sidebar that it frequently freezes up Chrome).  So I have to switch to another browser to do anythign on Facebook, a minor annoyance.  🙂

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.