Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sun, Oct 6, 2019 9:09 PM

Outlook 16 wont accept changes

ATT inactivated my account as I overlooked the update.  I have logged onto ATT/Yahoo and changed my password so now get emails online.   I have tried to update Outlook with the new secure mail key password, but it won't save.  The ATT instructions say IMAP accounts should be .att.net.  Mine is currently set to Yahoo.com through some change ATT made a few years ago.  I have tried to change:

1 - only the password

2- yahoo.com to att.net and password

3 - yahoo. com to att.com and password.

Does anyone have any additional ideas what else might have changed and how to correct. Maybe there is another change I need to make to preferences on ATT/Yahoo side. I have spent hours trying to correct.  I called support and they offered to charge me to fix.  I didn't think this would be so difficult.

I am using Outlook 16 with Chrome on a desktop with Windows 10 

Thank you

Thank you

Responses

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

a year ago

I have logged onto ATT/Yahoo and changed my password so now get emails online.

So you used an att email address and not a @yahoo.com email address to do that, correct?  Email addresses with the @yahoo.com domain are not att email addresses and cannot be used to access the att email either through the webmail or using an email client app.   To access the att/yahoo email you need to use your att email address just like you do for the webmail.  The password you use is the same as what you use for the webmail although now you should be using a secure mail key (or OAuth2) instead as per Use OAuth or secure mail key for email apps.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

I have a .......@bellsouth.net email address.  I have Outlook 2016 home/office edition.  My  Outlook server is set up as "imap.mail.yahoo.com and outbound at smtp.mail.yahoo.comEncryption for both is SSL/TLS.The box is checked to "require logon using secure password"
My Outlook account worked until last week when it was temporarily locked by AT&T.  I logged into ATT.net and changed my password which unlocked my account on ATT.net.  I also created a secure key. 
However, every attempt to change the server settings or password in Outlook  fails.  I have deleted cache and rebooted several times.
Is there another setting on ATT.net  that needs to be updated.
Why won't Outlook accept the changes?  
Also one article on ATT says to use imap.mail.att.com both inbound & outbound and other one says to use att.net inbound and att.com outbound --- do you know which one is correct?
Thank you, I appreciate your time and expertise.

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

a year ago

My Outlook server is set up as "imap.mail.yahoo.com and outbound at smtp.mail.yahoo.com...

- - -

However, every attempt to change the server settings or password in Outlook fails.

- - -

Why won't Outlook accept the changes?

The proper server settings are here as you apparently found and they are not the ones you started out mentioning.  So I don't know why you can't enter them into your outlook settings.  Is the text entry for those settings actually disabled preventing you from tying it in?  Or you can enter therm and it doesn't stick when you save the settings?   If you save them and they don't stick I suggest you ask your question about that in the Microsoft Support and/or Community forums.

Also one article on ATT says to use imap.mail.att.com both inbound & outbound and other one says to use att.net inbound and att.com outbound --- do you know which one is correct?

The table shows the protocol those settings are for so where's the confusion?  One set if for POP and the other is for IMAP, i.e., for whichever configuration you are trying to (or have) configured your client for the account.

• 

1 Message

a month ago

I was having the same problem - something happened on the AT&T website prompted me to change my main and email password, but when I tried to update the password on Outlook, nothing would work. Looked online everywhere and happened to see something about a change to require Secure Mail Key.  So, log into your main ATT.Com account under the Manage Profiles section, create a Secure Mail Key for whichever email account has the password change.  Copy that key into the password section of outlook and it should work.   

Get started...

Ask a new question