Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
condogal

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Sat, Aug 3, 2019 3:44 PM

New email contacts proceedure.

I do not like this new contact procedure I'm forced to use.  I cannot move my contacts around like before or from one list to the other.  Am I able to go back to the previous way.  Thx. 

Responses

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

a year ago

No.  The yahoo webmail UI "experts" know what's good for you so it must be the proper way to handle contacts or they wouldn't have changed it.Man WinkMan Frustrated  If you don't like it then click the settings gear and then near the bottom is "Give feedback" to tell them how much you like the new contacts UI. 

(I hope it was obvious I was being sarcastic about yahoo - hard to get that across sometimes in a text interface)

condogal

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

a year ago

I beat you to it and did leave feedback.  If anyone would know how to alphabetize contacts with that new setup, please let me know. 

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

a year ago

I am finding some problems with the new way contacts are displayed:

(1) I was previously able to display my contacts last name first.  Now the display lists with the first name first, which I do not want.  I would also like to sort the contacts the way I want, which I apparently cannot find, and the help does not address this problem.

(2) It is now more difficult to assign/unassign to lists.  I do not see the information when I edit the contact.  When I go to the list view, it took me some time to find a way to add a contact to the list.

(3) Lately, the parenthesized entries I put into some contacts have been removed.  I had a reason for placing part of the contact name in parentheses, and apparently this new version removes the parentheses regardless of what I enter into the contact name.

Is there a way to address these concerns?

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

a year ago

@sheldan1955 - I mentioned in post 2 how to give feedback.  That's the only thing you can do.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

a year ago

I've submitted my concerns to the feedback page.  Thanks.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

a year ago

Somehow I wonder if this is the only way to reach them.  I haven't heard from them and I wonder if there is a way to escalate this other than the feedback form.

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

a year ago

@sheldan1955 

There is another way (can't say how) that was used early on when threads started appearing about problems with the "new" contacts.  The info was relayed to appropriate parties.  But that was early when the new contacts first appeared.  Since then a lot more problems have been discovered with contacts.  

There's a bunch threads on these problems like this one and this other one for example.  Related to what you asked you might want read my little "rant" in that other thread I referenced.

Note that ATTCares seems to post in many threads usually related to "I can't log into my email" or "my email doesn't work", "can't change password", etc.  But not once have I seen a post from them in any of these contacts problem threads.  So I assume they are ignoring them and so that avenue of reporting apparently is a non-starter too.  There are no other official communication paths to report att/yahoo email problems.  [Call the Digital Assistance Center (877-273-2728)?  Call tech support (800-288-2020)? Both IMO useless since neither of them know anything about email and especially what yahoo does behind att's backs.]

Sorry this is not encouraging.  Besides the "give feedback" suggestion my only other suggestion is find a real email service that you can contact (no pun intended) and works!  That saves a lot of aggravation in the long run.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

I agree with you.  I have spent valuable time on the phone with ATT know nothing representatives.  Some even didn't know ATT was connected to Yahoo.com.  I'm all for moving my over 4,000 contacts to another system.  Does anyone know of a more efficient system to move to?

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

a year ago

@kedbo62 

Does anyone know of a more efficient system to move to?

My standard default recommendation is always find an email service provider who's only business is email service, is reliable, has good security (read terms of service), good spam fighting tools, good support you can actually contact, and actually knows how to run an email service.  I don't consider gmail, hotmail/outlook, or of course yahoo and aol (last two run by OATH which is run by Verizon) have all these criteria.

You should do the research in email service providers both free and/or pay, whether they support webmail and/or POP/IMAP/SMTP or both.  I always recommend pay email since the support is usually better.  They pay services are generally relatively cheap.  Some have free trials.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

a year ago

xyzzy,

After a little bit of trial and error, I found a forum on Yahoo! using this URL:

yahoo.useyourvoice.com

This is the feedback forum for Yahoo! Mail (which probably also covers AT&T Mail).  This may be the place we can post our complaints about this and other problems.  I clicked on "Contacts" and found a thread labeled "List Contact by Last Name," which was the complaint I originally posted to the AT&T Community.  There are now 22 comments between June 13 and October 21, and the thread also has a way to vote for the threads that should be addressed.  (The thread is currently ranked 175th, but there may be other problems that people have ranked higher.)  The comments all seem to address the same issue--users of Yahoo! Mail do not want to be restricted by the listing of contacts via first name first (i.e., all contacts with a first name of "Mary" are listed under the M's, even though you may have 20 Marys in your contact list that you are used to being where they would be last-name-first).  Posters seem to be behaving themselves and, if their comments may not be G-rated Smiley LOL, at least they might be suitable for most families--although I wouldn't be surprised, having posted in these forums, some people would prefer to say something like "!$@#%!!*&!"

This thread is also labeled as "Gathering Feedback."  So hopefully enough complaints will make Yahoo implement something that will satisfy everyone.

• 

3 Messages

20 days ago

Right on! Sorting by first name as the default option is an abomination. Every time one edits a contact one must go back and resort the list. Also--Yahoo seems to recognize "groups" of contacts pre-existing from pre-Yahoo days, but has no way to add to them or create new ones.

Get started...

Ask a new question