Learn how you can get the iPhone 13 now!
AlyBird's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Oct 2, 2018 12:57 AM

My sbcglobal email account password changed suddenly, but no options to reset it are available

I've got a bit of a weird situation and it requires some explanation, so bare with me:

The other day, I tried to log into my sbcglobal email, which I've been using for years, only this time I couldn't because it said my password was invalid. I hadn't done anything with my settings and it had let me log in the day before, so this was very strange to me - fearing my account had been hacked, I followed the steps to reset my password, but at the end instead of giving me any options to reset my password, it said there were no secure options and to contact AT&T at 800-288-2020. I called that number and eventually was able to talk to a real person, but we weren't able to fix the issue because he could only find my mom's current active AT&T account, and my email account is not tied to that account in any way. However, my email is a sub-account of her old, inactive sbcglobal account (which I found out afterwards), but she's not able to change the password for it because, when she tries to, it says "This sub-account is linked to an AT&T Access ID. You don't have permission to edit the password for this sub-account." The thing is, the Access ID is her sbcglobal email, as far as we can tell, so we're not sure what's going on there.

So, what can I do to get my sbcglobal account back? Is there a different number I can call, or if I have to call that AT&T support number again, what would I say to get to the right person, and would they even be able to fix this particular issue given that my account is a sub-account of an old, inactive account (inactive as in, it's not linked to any current, active AT&T service)? Also, for future reference, how would my mom be able to change the passwords of her sub-accounts when it gives her that message that she doesn't have permission to because they're linked to an AT&T Access ID?

Thanks

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 y ago

Not sure I totally understand your password change problem.  If your is a sub-account it is a sub-account for a primary account?  Who "owns" the primary account?  Your mom?  If so then she must have been the one who created the sub-accounts in the first place.

Sub-account or primary account you may be able to change your password with Forgot ID/Password.  You can also call the Digital Assistance Center (877-267-2988) but for that you need to prove you are you, or your mom is the primary account holder (4-digit pin and 9-digit account number).  If no longer an att customer I am not sure what you can do.  Maybe the Digital Assistance Center will have suggestions.

By the way, failing passwords on legacy accounts doesn't appear to be that strange these days.  There's a lot of that going around.Man Frustrated

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 y ago

Yes, my mom owns the Primary account, she created a sub-account for me to use as my main email account back in the day. Also, I've tried using the Forgot ID/Password method but it did not give me any options to reset my password.

I'll try calling the number you've provided, I do know the account number of my mom's Primary account and I think I know the PIN as well, so hopefully they'll be able to do something. We are an AT&T customer, just with a different service and different active account then when my mom first had AT&T services - she made her primary account and my sub-account back when Sbcglobal bought Yahoo, but before AT&T bought Sbcglobal.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.