Need to update email settings?
OmnesMendacium's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Mon, Jul 9, 2018 1:04 AM

My email is down again, again, again...

This may sound more like a rant than a request for assistance, but my patience is wearing a little thin...

This business of my email conking out for two days every week is getting old. I mean, we're not talking HDTV streaming here, or gaming, or massive data uploading and downloading.  We're talking email.  EMAIL, which is about as primitive as you can get and still remain in the realm of hi-tech.

I've been fighting AT&T for over four months on this matter. I have three (count 'em, ladies and gentlemen) three independent browsers installed on my computer with three independent email apps.  When one works, they ALL work.  When one is down, they're ALL down.  So obviously, OBVIOUSLY (except to AT&T) the problem isn't on my end. The communications I've had with other customers on the AT&T forums indicate the same.

I've spent uncounted hours talking to AT&T "tech support" (that's a laugh).  I've tried extensive Internet searches (thinking that the problem might possibly be on my end) and come up empty-handed.  I've tried the forums, where I found out that this problem isn't just frequent, it's endemic on the AT&T network.  So what does it take to get this problem FIXED?  I would write my Congresscritter and enlighten him on the Sherman Antitrust Act, but he already sports an AT&T logo on his golf bag, so that road's closed.

Email.  Reliable email.  Is that really asking too much, AT&T?  If it isn't too much, then how do I go about getting it?  (Short of switching to Comcast, of course.)

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

4 y ago

I have three (count 'em, ladies and gentlemen) three independent browsers installed on my computer with three independent email apps.

So are you saying you are using those browsers to access the webmail or email client apps (e.g., Thunderbird, Outlook, etc.) to access the email servers?  And if client apps are they all set up as IMAP or POP?  All the same email clients or different clients on the different machines?

I found out that this problem isn't just frequent, it's endemic on the AT&T network.

Hmm, you would think with the thousands (millions?) of att customers that would use the att/yahoo email you would see waaaay more complaints here and elsewhere of your specific problem.  Personally I have no idea what you are talking about.  Saying email is "conking out", "down", and what not conveys no useful information.  Sort of like say "it doesn't work".  What does "down" mean?  What do you see when starting up the email, sending/receiving email?  Any error messages?  Are you running any anti-virus software?  As I said "down" conveys no information for troubleshooting.

Email.  Reliable email.  Is that really asking too much, AT&T?  If it isn't too much, then how do I go about getting it?  (Short of switching to Comcast, of course.)

I don't recall the last time the email was, 'er, "down".  But then if you want to ensure reliable email and a tech support who actually knows everything about that email no one is stopping you from finding a reliable email service provider ESP), i.e., one whose only business is email and has the support to back it up. Note I said ESP not ISP.  You could still keep att to access your chosen ESP.

I will ask my usual final question however.  Do you have a lagacy email account that came under the "great unmerge" (IMO) fiasco?  All bets are off with them.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 y ago

I can't begin to give an accurate number of the hours I've wasted with AT&T "tech support" giving them detailed symptoms of the problem, including error messages, email and Internet configurations, modem settings, and technical stuff that I don't even know how to characterize.  Over and over they proclaimed the problem "fixed", then a week later it reappeared.  I'm not going to go through that ordeal again for the same result here.

Your solution is pretty much what I expected from an AT&T apologist: get an ESP.  In other words, pay more money to someone else to perform the same services that I'm currently paying AT&T to perform.  I like that.

You and AT&T have the same attitude: "Well, if you're not happy with us, go and find another monopoly that suits you better."  I didn't write the post with the expectation of getting the problem fixed -- I'm way beyond any hopes of that.  I wrote it so that other customers who have the same problem will know that it's not "just them", as "tech support" would have them believe.  That's why I referred to the problem as "endemic" instead of "epidemic" -- you might want to check out the difference between the terms.

I don't know if it's good form to include links in a post, but let's take a look at some of AT&T's Internet Service customer satisfaction ratings:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/internet/att_broadband.html  (2 stars out of five)  Consumer Affairs, no less...

https://broadbandnow.com/ATT-reviews  (2 stars out of five)

https://www.whichvoip.com/reviews/att.php  (2 stars out of five)

https://www.yelp.com/biz/at-and-t-internet-san-jose  (1 star out of five, and San Jose is in the heart of Silicon Valley.  These folks know hi-tech -- I live there.)

These are customer ratings, not the propaganda that the computer magazines and business journals produce.

If I had a choice, I would drop AT&T in a microsecond.  But I don't have a choice, so I'm stuck with them until another provider comes to our end of the valley.  Until then, I'm going to exercise the only option I have, which is to make my displeasure with AT&T known in every venue I can find.

Which reminds me, I haven't written a review of AT&T Internet for San Jose yelp.com yet...

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 y ago

I can't begin to give an accurate number of the hours I've wasted with AT&T "tech support" giving them detailed symptoms of the problem, including error messages, email and Internet configurations, modem settings, and technical stuff that I don't even know how to characterize.  Over and over they proclaimed the problem "fixed", then a week later it reappeared.  I'm not going to go through that ordeal again for the same result here.

Your solution is pretty much what I expected from an AT&T apologist: get an ESP.  In other words, pay more money to someone else to perform the same services that I'm currently paying AT&T to perform.  I like that.

You and AT&T have the same attitude: "Well, if you're not happy with us, go and find another monopoly that suits you better."  I didn't write the post with the expectation of getting the problem fixed -- I'm way beyond any hopes of that.  I wrote it so that other customers who have the same problem will know that it's not "just them", as "tech support" would have them believe.  That's why I referred to the problem as "endemic" instead of "epidemic" -- you might want to check out the difference between the terms.

I don't know if it's good form to include links in a post, but let's take a look at some of AT&T's Internet Service customer satisfaction ratings:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/internet/att_broadband.html  (2 stars out of five)  Consumer Affairs, no less...

https://broadbandnow.com/ATT-reviews  (2 stars out of five)

https://www.whichvoip.com/reviews/att.php  (2 stars out of five)

https://www.yelp.com/biz/at-and-t-internet-san-jose  (1 star out of five, and San Jose is in the heart of Silicon Valley.  These folks know hi-tech -- I live there.)

These are customer ratings, not the propaganda that the computer magazines and business journals produce.

If I had a choice, I would drop AT&T in a microsecond.  But I don't have a choice, so I'm stuck with them until another provider comes to our end of the valley.  Until then, I'm going to exercise the only option I have, which is to make my displeasure with AT&T known in every venue I can find.

Which reminds me, I haven't written a review of AT&T Internet for San Jose yelp.com yet...

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

26.6K Messages

4 y ago

@OmnesMendacium, you're right, it did come off more as a rant.  And your reply confirms it.  Very few national companies have decent ratings at any of those sites.  "Consumer Affairs?"  You called that out like it was special for some reason.  I'd never heard of them, but they look just like the BBB, a company that will accept a fee from a company to say good things about them.  In fact, you are the classic archetype for a reviewer... the unhappy customer, and you went and proved it as you dropped your mic.

I'm sure that _xyzzy_ would legitimately like to help you.  But he'd need specifics that you have not made available.  The fact that you've already given them to AT&T doesn't help here.

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

4 y ago

I said get an ESP.  I never said you had to choose an ESP you had to pay for.  That would be your decision.  There are plenty of free and pay ESP's to choose from that are not att/yahoo, yahoo, and AOL.   At least if you choose one of them you know who you are dealing with.   I'm not "apologizing" for anything or anyone, particularity att and their choice of farming out the email service to a third party.  In fact I choose an ESP that I am quite happy with in both service and support.  I do pay for it because they are cheap and because if you you choose a free service remember the saying "if you are not paying for it, you become the produce".  Hence no real support and if you use their webmail, not ad free.

You and AT&T have the same attitude: "Well, if you're not happy with us, go and find another monopoly that suits you better." 

Where did I ever suggest find a "monopoly"?  I only suggested find an ESP.   No ESP has a "monopoly". 

At any rate there's no point in spending my time continuing with this debate.  Happy ranting.  Bye.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.