lonestarjacket's profile

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

Wednesday, July 14th, 2021 7:32 PM

Closed

Internet Security Suite Download Link Not Working

A little lead-in:

I have been on Uverse for over a decade and have downloaded and installed the McAfee suite numerous times and on several different PCs.  PLEASE do not answer this question with a copy paste of a KB article with a link to "Get It".  I have already been there!  

https://www.att.com/support/article/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1046931/

I click "Get It"

Sign in and it takes me here:

https://uversecentral3.att.com/uvp/myhome/mam/!ut/p/a1/hY65DoJAFEW_hYJ25iFr7EZCkEWJWgjTGDZhDDAERr5fJJair7s35-Q-THGMaZdOrEoF413avDM1bsFG0UALIHQ3CgESOop_iY6KDfoMJDMAK0fgn3_FdEFsl-w1MwRwT9oOPPMQBc7ZUsEzPsCPCR_TquHZ8m5Cuky1KkyH8l4O5YCew1zXQvTjVgYZOCtyxIoe5Q2vWIdSIVDOWxm-uTUfBY5XFNy3MTz0ZgqJJL0Af78JMg!!/dl5/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

Click "English Download" and it takes me to a generic McAfee site, NOT any download page.

Yes, I already cleared browser memory.  Yes I tried it on Firefox, Edge, and Chrome.  Yes,  tried it on both a new PC as well as older laptops where I was previously able to download.

Conclusion:  Something changed in the links either on the McAfee side or ATT.

Hoping this finds someone who knows something beyond all the typical advice (see clear cache, try a different browser, etc.)

This conversation has been merged. Please refer the main conversation:

Unable to Install AT T Internet Security Suite

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 years ago

My best guess about what is going on is:

• McAfee decided to change the way the way their software authenticates subscriptions.
  • As a result of that, partners that provide McAfee software as a benefit would need to change the way they pass the subscribers to McAfee to obtain the software
  • They probably notified AT&T in some way at some point in the past.  It probably went to one of the affected departments, perhaps the small business security department that sells a McAfee subscription.  It apparently did not reach the people who manage (assuming that anyone exists that does) the Residential Internet business.  Or the person there is an id1ot.  Or his boss is an id1ot.  or both.
  • McAfee makes the change in their software.  AT&T has made no changes for the Residential Internet business.  [whether any other part of the AT&T business has done anything, I have no real idea, though I would think that McAfee would have been ringing phones in AT&T if no one was doing anything].
  • AT&T subscribers downloads stop working because they're going the wrong place.  Support calls are generated.  McAfee's technical support staff is spending lots of time supporting AT&T customers who are not paying McAfee a lot of money for support.
  • McAfee cuts off the old partner mechanism that AT&T has been using, redirecting anyone coming in to this "bad link" to their subscription page.  This may have been in the plans all along, or might be a reaction to the flood of calls for manual installation.
  • AT&T realizes something is wrong and starts doing something they should have done 6-9 months ago; developing a new authentication mechanism for its Residential Internet subscribers.

And yes, my biggest beef around this whole situation is that AT&T support staff doesn't just acknowledge there is a problem and tell people that they'll have to wait.  My second biggest beef is that they haven't walled off the AT&T pages that send you to McAfee and tell you that there's an issue.  Then we get around to the actual problem.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 years ago

McAfee changed where the AT&T path takes you about a month ago.

In the months before that, you could download an installer, but you couldn't get it to install.

AT&T & McAfee are "working on it."  ETA unknown.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks

Support (well-meaning, I am sure) have been driving me nuts repeating the same advice that doesn't work. I even had them schedule a technician for what would have been a pointless visit.  (Got a text message saying "Your service appears to be working. Text to cancel."  Yes, because my service wasn't the problem.)

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 years ago

Back when it was a "bad installer" problem, some AT&T reps would get you in contact with a McAfee rep who would (if you let them) access your PC via remote session management to download and install the McAfee product for you.  But you had to get the right AT&T rep, who had to get the right McAfee rep...

• 

36 Messages

3 years ago

I have been having the same issue of the link taking you to the wrong place.  AT&T told me over a month ago it would be fixed in a day or two.  Well it is still not working.  AT&T says it is a McAfee problem, McAfee says it is an AT&T problem.  The last McAfee support tech I talked to says AT&T knows of the problem but is doing nothing about it.  We are screwed because AT&T is a waste f time and money.  I will check back again but I am not convinced it will be taken care of.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 years ago

As far as I can tell, AT&T hasn't changed anything about how they're passing you to McAfee.

McAfee has changed how they react to the link AT&T is redirecting you to on the McAfee site, so, on the surface, it looks like McAfee has caused this problem.

On the other hand, McAfee may have told AT&T they they needed to make a change to the way they pass the user to the McAfee site and AT&T hasn't done so.

We don't know, and we can't really trust anything either one is telling us.

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for this thread. I will definitely give it a try. LOL!

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

3 years ago

I don't doubt McAfee changed something. The URL and webpage design from the AT&T page looks like it was last updated in the 90s.

But changing a URL in a link SHOULDN'T BE THAT HARD unless the page it was linking was completely removed.

They are likely putting more effort into corporate finger-pointing than the effort for either to fix it on their side.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

3 years ago

And there is no excuse for ATT Tech Support continuing to blindly give out the old broken links and letting people waste time believing it is a browser or cache issue.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.