Protect yourself online
PeteWashington's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Friday, January 19th, 2018 3:38 AM

inbound.att.net is not responding

I have a ATT/Yahoo email address. The inbound.att.net server is not responding. I have tried pinging it with 3rd party connection sites (is it down and web site down) neither can connect to it. Is it down says that it may be down for a week. Any one know what the problem might be.

Thanks

Pete 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Here's how I finally solved my problem:

I was downloading my mail, about 350 messages.  Had 70 messages left ... and Thunderbird just stopped.  Everytime I'd hit download, I'd get these messages:

Host contacted, sending login information
Checking inbox for new messages
downloading 1 of xxx
No messages to download

and it would quit.

Every few hours I'd try again, message count would go up, but no messages were forthcoming.

I could get to the mail by web, but Firefox and their new format clashes and I get "an error has occurred" about the 3rd screen of messages.

Someone suggested the error was on the Thunderbird side, and I'd need to create a new account.  Tried that.  It would down load the first message, then choke and die.  Just like before.  Laboring under the assumption that the status of the email was somehow messed up, I went to the web. searched for the email (since I couldn't scroll), and deleted the offending email from the web.

BINGO!

All messages came pouring it, and were dutifully removed from the server.

Scholar

• 

235 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the message.

How did you recognize which email was the problem?

. . . . Pete

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Email seems to always be downloaded oldest to newest.  I looked for the one that would have come after the last one I received.
I think I mentioned, I had to set up a new profile under Thudnerbird, and try to download my mail.  It would pull one email then stop.  I'd try again, and it would pull the same email and stop.  After it pulled the same email 5 times, I said, "Ok, let's see what happens when we get rid of this email."
I deleted it by finding it with the search function (since Yahoo was crapping out on scroll).
Told the original profile to pull email, and bada-bing!  They started flowing in like water.

Scholar

• 

235 Messages

5 years ago

Well done...congratulations.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

5 years ago

I seldom get the 'inbound.att.net is not responding' msg now. Thunderbird connects but now I get the message 'connection to inbound.att.net was reset' almost immediately. I then have to exit TB and restart it and get the same msg. Sometimes after restarting several times the password handshake works and I get my email. Other times I give up and come back later.

Scholar

• 

235 Messages

5 years ago

Interesting, I've not seen that. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks for the advisory.

. . . Pete

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I AM USING POP SERVER AND I CANNOT GET MY INCOMING MESSAGES.   inbound.att.net 

THANKS

RB

Scholar

• 

235 Messages

5 years ago

For whatever reason, AT&T has declined from solving this wide-spread
problem. Despite the great inconvenience to users, somewhat offsetting
this is that the problem is only intermittent.

Tutor

• 

41 Messages

I have not read all of the eight pages of this thread, so I do not know exactly what errors are occurring. I use Thunderbird, and the only error I see (somewhat frequently) is Thunderbid complaining that the serrver (i.,e., inbound.att.net) does not support UIDL or XTND XLST. If this is the case, continue reading. If not, thern you are experiencing error(s) that I am not seeing.

The problem is in Thunderbird. It sends a POP3 "UIDL" command, and the inbound.att.net server responds with a temorary error - "-ERR [SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later." I have not yet looked at the various POP3 RFCs to see what they say about [termporary] error responses to commands. Thunderbird responds by sending the POP3 command "XTND XLST Message-Id", and the inbound server replies "-ERR Invalid Command.". This sets a flag in Thunderbird - the server does not accept UIDL or XTND', The only way to clear this is to shut down Thunderbird and restart it. See this URL:

​https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1268468​

which I opened (and which was recently closed/archived, for no apparent reason). I plan to open an official Thunderbird bug report today, if I have time.

Tutor

• 

41 Messages

The officlal Thunderbird bug report is here:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1577548

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

lately unable to send emails from Outlook express. I am using a secure mail key. Getting emails but unable to send any out.

error: Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'AT&T', Server: 'outbound.att.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Using ports 995 (in) and 465 (out) with SSL

What is going on ATT ?

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I have ben without incoming mail service for more than a week! can not get help from AT&T. Inbound .at&t.net' does not respond,please try agin later. Is the message I get.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

@vsfauchier I have access now via my browser but can only send (not receive) via my Outlook Express Client. Corporate basically said there is no support for email problems ... but if one wants any tech support to call a PAY number. (Edited per community guidelines).

(edited)

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

I have the same issue - I can send mail, but not receive. Connection to inbound.att.net has failed since 4/29/20.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.