Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Tue, Jan 30, 2018 8:38 AM

imap.mail.att.net is not responding

I have tried everything I know to try to re-set up my email accounts on my iPhone and Mac, since they both showed errors when I used my (correct) password.  I reset the password and they still didn't work.  I keep getting the message "imap.mail.att.net is not responding."  When I called AT&T for support, the less than helpful man told me to call Apple, he couldn't do anything to help me.  What can Apple possibly do about an AT&T error message?  I can see my email account on Yahoo, but I want it back in my inbox. 

Responses

Shrilurk

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

2 years ago

Jt1234 in reply to your earlier message.

1. Yes sign in on a computer using an internet browser.  Log in to your web email account either at yahoo.com or att.net. (to be honest I don't recognized what an "snet" account is).  Do you mean "sbcglobal.net"?  However if you cannot log in via webmail to your email account, then that is the first thing to fix. This is what a supervisor probably would have told you.

2. I am glad to help you and have tried to boil it down to three suggestions that worked for me in order to assist you in resolving your problem, they are all important and they are important in order of resolution. Speak to a supervisor when you call in and get your webmail working first, someone else on this discussion suggested this as well.  Then go to step 3.

3. If the fundamentals of account access "user name and password" do not work on webmail (#1. above), then they will not work on mobile devices.  Once you get this worked out, then you can try to set up your mobile device as Yahoo - not "other".  And it does not matter what it was before, that is not working now.  Yahoo is the new model now.

I hope this helps.  Cheers

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

Ok Thank you for your very detailed instructions- I will go step by step as you advised.  Fingers crossed - 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

I started seeing this problem on my iMac after updating to Mojave and just in the last week on my iPhone X iOPS 12.1.  I can log into www.att.net to see my email in a web browser, but Outlook for Mac version 16.19 and Mail on the iPhone can not connect to the server.  I have two sbcglobal.net email accounts and it is the same with both.  My gmail account is still ok so I have to assume this is an ATT issue.  I have check the setting on both accounts, reset passwords, changed the port setting but still not fixed.  What the heck is going on with ATT.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

I finally resolved my problem with email.  I have two ATT/Yahoo email accounts: a primary and one sub-account.  It turns out the Primary account was fine, but something happened with the sub-account.  After talking twice with the ATT help rep, who said they can only help with web browser email access, and many hours of experimentation I decided to reset the password on the sub-account.  It took several tries using a web browser but I did succeed in changing the password.  Then I put the new password in the Mail app on my iPhone which fixed the problem there.  I had to delete and re-enter the entire sub-account info within Outlook before it started to work again.  I have no idea what brought this problem on but in the end ATT's help was pretty useless and I got very confusing information through the "Contact Support" in Outlook.  What a mess!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

The solution was to reset the password for the email sub-account.  Why I have no idea, but it fixed the problem.  With my experience this suggests some database on the Yahoo or ATT server got corrupted.  Changing the password fixed the corruption.  That is my guess.  The ATT telephone help was pretty useless.  No one wanted to own the problem. 

John

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I’m having the same issue on my iPhone, ipad, and Mac after I installed the latest update yesterday. It has to be something with the Apple update bc I too can access my email via the Internet.  I have changed my att(bellsouth) ow twice and updated it in mail settings.  Still no mail in my Apple products. This is a recurring problem with Apple and exactly why I hate to install fixes.  It is NOT an ATT issue. 

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

2 years ago

@BLSouthUser

Try changing your email clients to use a secure mail key instead of the account password.  Read this (which includes a link to how to create a secure mail key).

(edited)

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

Try changing your email password. That worked for me.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

You have to set the account up as a Yahoo account but use your att.net to login. Seems like ATT is using Yahoo’s mail for email

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

What can I do so I can get my email

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I had the same problem. I have an MS outlook e-mail. Things I've tried.

1. Updated iOS on my iPhone - didn't help.

2. Change password to e-mail account - didn't help. 

3. Got rid of 2-step authentication on outlook.com - this helped. I think my phone was trying to log into my e-mail account but the 2-step authentication was blocking it. I'm thinking that there is a way around this but I've got no time to figure it out. 

Interestingly, all my e-mails (outlook, gmail) connected to my phone were having the same connection problem. Somehow, MS outlook influences all of them. That doesn't seem right. Anyhoo, I'm too busy to figure all this out. 

Get started...

Ask a new question