Protect yourself online
bspbuco's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, March 7th, 2019 3:22 PM

I send emails to SPAM and that same week I get more email from the same sender. What Up Widdat???

I send emails to SPAM and that same week I get more email from the same sender. What Up Widdat???  Examples include military loans, Quicken loans, reverse mortgage products, walk-in showers.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

Flagging the stuff as "spam" must be done repeatedly to each new instance in the (slim?) hope the spam filters will eventually get it through its thick "skull" the stuff is actually spam.  You say you "send emails to SPAM" which means it's going into your inbox.  Unfortunately there is little consistency in patterns in spam from the same sender that you could match on with att/yahoo user defined filters.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

I appreciate all feedback, but my question implies that I am looking for a cure.  Why won't AT&T and/or Yahoo make their SPAM filter work as most others do?

By that I mean, how can we get their attention so they fix the problem?  

There is no "cure" for spam (email or anywhere else).  It's life in the internet age.   While you can minimize it with decent spam filters and filtering tools (neither of which yahoo ever had) you can't stop it entirely.    Why their spam filters aren't better I can not say.    People have complained about the yahoo spam filters for years and nothing has ever changed.

When I put something in the SPAM filter, I expect to never see that sender get anything into my INBOX unless and until I reverse my decision.  There's no training involved.  Same "From" as any entry in my SPAM filter should mean that sender is banned from my INBOX.

Well that's not going to ever happen to spam filters no matter what email service you use.  Spam filters work in part statistically and need to be "trained" to learn what should be spam.  I takes enough repetitions to become more reliable.  But even then there's still always the risk of false positives.  If you want to unconditionally stop certain emails from coming through then you need additional filtering tools over and above the internal spam filters to do it.   Yahoo doesn't provide that but some other email services do.

If you want to check the "same From" then use the blocked address settings provided by yahoo.   Of course you will quickly learn that's useless since most spammers vary the from name and email addresses in such a way the larger basic email services like yahoo can't handle, i.e. there is no pattern matching in yahoo blocked addresses other than entire domains (if they just allowed user defined filters to have precedence over the spam filters that would help to a large degree even though it's not a general pattern matcher).

There's really no sense arguing about how yahoo handles spam.   IMO it's easier to switch than fight.  Find another email service provider you can live with and supplies the tools you need to fight spam (they do exist) and switch to them.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I appreciate all feedback, but my question implies that I am looking for a cure.  Why won't AT&T and/or Yahoo make their SPAM filter work as most others do?  
By that I mean, how can we get their attention so they fix the problem?  
When I put something in the SPAM filter, I expect to never see that sender get anything into my INBOX unless and until I reverse my decision.  There's no training involved.  Same "From" as any entry in my SPAM filter should mean that sender is banned from my INBOX.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

My primary email server is through centurylink, I never get email spam, AT&T should apply the same filters, it can't be that difficult for the world's largest telephone company.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Here is my current one day of spams.ATTT_Spam.jpg

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

@limeybiker said:

My primary email server is through centurylink, I never get email spam, AT&T should apply the same filters, it can't be that difficult for the world's largest telephone company.

Att can't supply anything since att doesn't run the email service, yahoo does.  And for the most part email service's spam filter data is independent from other email services.   Yahoo would probably tell you they are correctly filtering the stuff as spam since they are filtering it into your spam folder.  It does always beg the question about similar email services providers on whether their spam filters are too aggressive and may be blocking some emails which are not actually spam but which their spam filters think are.  You'll never know unless the service lets you control the aggressiveness of the filtering.  Some actually do, many don't. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.