Hacked Email - Security Information & Tips From AT&T
Did your friends tell you they are getting weird emails from you? Are you not able to log into your email account? Is your email being routed to folders that you did not create or going to trash? Are you not receiving emails? Are you seeing emails in your sent folder and you have no idea where they came from? Seeing bounced back messages? Did you get the infamous “you won a trip” email? Take control of your email now!
Reset Your Password Now!
Resetting your password minimizes the immediate risk to your AT&T email account. Then, change your password again after you've verified all computers on your network are free of malware and all your email settings are valid. For help selecting a strong password and safeguarding it against misuse, please review these password tips.
Secure Your Computers
Secure your computers against malware. Malware can steal passwords and other personal information.
- Scan all computers with an up-to-date anti-virus program. The AT&T Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee is free to qualifying members and includes anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall protection. If you are an AT&T internet subscriber, download it now.
- Use an up-to-date anti-malware application, as some malware isn't detected by anti-virus scans.
- Ensure your operating system has been updated with all the recommended security updates from the operating system provider.
- AT&T ConnecTech®1 can provide fast, expert help when you need it, for an affordable fee. Learn more about AT&T ConnecTech solutions by visiting our website or by calling 866.294.3464.
Create Or Update Account Security Questions And Answers
The security questions and answers that you set at myAT&T allow you and only you to access your account or make changes to your account information.
Review and Update Your Email Settings
Access your settings by hovering over the gear icon at the top right, and then select Settings. Review the following areas for suspicious activity:
- Email signature - Look for changed or unknown content.
- Accounts - Check the email accounts listed. Select Edit to view the details of your account(s), and check for any unknown or incorrect accounts listed under POP or Forward. Verify the sending name, reply-to address, spam settings, and any other details. Delete any unknown or incorrect accounts.
- Vacation response - Disable the Vacation Response except when needed.
- Blocked addresses - Verify that your email address isn't listed in the Blocked Email Addresses list. If it is, remove it, and select Save.
- Review your contacts. Be sure the information for your contacts is correct, and delete any unknown or unfamiliar ones.
- Check out our Fraud & Account Security Center.