Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thu, Mar 14, 2019 10:27 PM

emails disappear

Since November 7 my emails disappear as they arrive on my home computer. They stick around in my iPhone sometimes. So now daily I go to AT&T Email Restore. This is annoying. There must be someone to call for help!

Responses

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

2 years ago

Since November 7 my emails disappear as they arrive on my home computer.

Is the computer accessing the webmail through a browser or through a email client app (e.g., Thunderbird, Outlook, mobile email client apps, etc.)?  If a client app is it configured for POP or IMAP?  If POP do you have its setting to delete email from the sever?  If POP or IMAP  did you check the spam and trash folders and any filters (rules) defined which might be matching the incoming email?  Also have you checked the spam and trash in the client?

In the webmail have you checked its spam and trash and checked its filter settings?

I assume you are using a email client app in your phone so all the questions I posed for the computer's client, if it is using an email client, apply for the phone's client as well.

Summary, when there is multiple access to the same email account you need to check all of them to see if their settings are conflicting with one another and the webmail (who's folders always mirror the servers).  So we can't do any specific troubleshooting without knowing the "ground rules".

Suggestion, only access the email through the webmail and turn off all your email client apps to see if the problem continues.  If it does then you have only one place to look at to see what's causing the problem.

Finally, requisite question; do you have a legacy account (e.g. sbcglobal.net, pacbell.net, bellsouth.net, etc., i.e., any att domain other than att.net)?

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

a year ago

Hello,

I suddenly have the very same problem!

I am an att.net email user and am using the newest version of Outlook.

Server settings are IMAP/SMTP

No SPAM or other message rules in play.

When receiving email, I can view it in my Inbox, BUT as soon as I switch folders, for example go the Sent folder and then come back to the Inbox, the email disappears and is NOT on the ATT server when checking webmail. I am NOT downloading mail from another device. 

This problem starting TODAY October 23, 2019. 

And it seems ATT has now done away with all forms of live technical assistance going to endless voice loops and virtual assistant chat.

Looking for help on this is anyone can advise, much appreciated!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

a year ago

Same issue as Kurt59 today 10/23/2019.

What's going on?

pacbell.net account

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

a year ago

Hey Guys,

It was only deleting from my INBOX, but now it also deletes PERMANENTLY from my SENT box.

The only workaround is to create a separate folder outside of the ATT.NET tree on your email client and then move all emails there UPON the 1st viewing.

I say UPON the 1st viewing because they will not delete upon the first folder viewing, but will self-delete if you leave and come back.

This has to be either an ATT server issue or some virus.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

a year ago

UPDATE: 

I just ran Norton Power Eraser, Malwarebytes, and Webroot and ZERO issue found.

My guess is that this related to the email IMAP setting function. 

DENNISG59, is your email client configured using IMAP or POP?

It should either be IMAP/SMTP or POP/SMTP. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

a year ago

My Outlook client on the computer is set up as IMAP

Same behavior on my iPhone also set up as IMAP

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

a year ago

Does any of this happen when outlook is not running?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

a year ago

I'm having the same problem on Outlook IMAP client, but worse is that the emails are no longer present on webmail, either. Therefore, they are either not displaying from the AT&T/Yahoo/SCBGLOBAL server or are being deleted from that server. I saw the emails, then when I went back to find them, they are no longer present. Not all emails are missing; just a select few. I've done searches, searched manually, and checked all folders associated with my relevant email address, as well as searched on Outlook all other email accounts. The emails are simply gone as of October 23, 2019.

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

a year ago

@Hexagonal6 

See my question in post 8.

Also I have another question now.  Did you switch authentication to AOuth2, secure mail key, or still using account password?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

a year ago

I am having issues with emails deleting also.  I am a bellsouth.net user. 

In addition I am having trouble getting access to att.net mail - message user/last name combo no valid when I enter bellsouth.net user and my last name.  Did a chat yesterday and was advised I have to call to get verbal password and then they have to do something to outlook.  It is obviously some update ATT is doing since I have changed NOTHING and so many other folks having issues. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

I'm having the same issue with certain emails disappearing and are no where to be found.  trash, deleted, etc.  I'm an att.net user with IMAP/SMPT configuration.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

Seriously2, may I ask where you were able to find a chat option?  Reaching a human is almost impossible.  Thanks.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

Emails started disappearing yesterday (10/23) from my Outlook in-box as well as in my att.net webmail in-box.  I've looked in multiple folders, trash, deleted, etc.  and they are gone.  No trace whatsoever.  I work for myself and this is incredibly problematic.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

a year ago

Guys,

This seems definitely like an IMAP user issue. I suggest changing over to POP/SMTP. This should solve it I believe.

Unfortunately, my Outlook could never successfully sync with ATT (Yahoo) email server using POP and so I used the IMAP settings.

And, yes, when the emails are deleted they are deleted from the ATT (Yahoo) server and are gone forever.

Do the work around I suggested until it is fixed.

Create a new folder in a separate email tree from your ATT email account within your email client and upon first opening your ATT Inbox, and BEFORE moving to another screen, drag all emails to that outside folder and they will not be deleted. 

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

a year ago

This self-delete will NOT happen when Outlook is not open.

It only happens when viewing emails in the Inbox and then leaving that screen and returning.

I have kept my Inbox window open for 30 minutes to test and the emails are still there, but if leaving and returning, they will vanish. 

Get started...

Ask a new question