Uniquely for you. Preorder the new Google Pixel 6.
judyclarkson's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sat, Jul 6, 2019 12:16 AM

Email hacked, attempting to secure

So, my email account pinged me about some unauthorized access and some fraudulent emails that were supposedly sent through it. I changed the password on the account, but somehow they seem to have changed the recovery emails on my account and I cannot figure out how to change them back. My email is an @bellsouth.net domain and I get bounced between the yahoo and AT&T interfaces and neither one will let me edit my account information in a meaningful way. The joint Yahoo/ATT thing lets me change my name and my password just fine, but I can't change any of the recovery options. My ATT account login lets me change the recovery questions as well as my ATT password, but nothing about the recovery emails. My account keeps getting locked up and I have to change the password multiple times a day even because it keeps detecting malicious activity, probably because these bogus emails are listed in my recovery emails and so they're getting alerts/access when I change the password. It's quite frustrating and I'd appreciate some help in figuring out how I can secure my account.

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

2 y ago

My email is an @bellsouth.net domain and I get bounced between the yahoo and AT&T interfaces and neither one will let me edit my account information in a meaningful way.

You weren't hacked (mot probably) unless you consider those that handle your account (att and yahoo) the hackers!  There's a lot of problems these days with legacy accounts like yours since att and yahoo decided to unmerge them.  Can you get into your myAT&T to change the password and security questions there?

My ATT account login lets me change the recovery questions as well as my ATT password, but nothing about the recovery emails.

Oh, so you can get in there to change that stuff.Man Surprised  Ok.

My account keeps getting locked up and I have to change the password multiple times a day even because it keeps detecting malicious activity, probably because these bogus emails are listed in my recovery emails and so they're getting alerts/access when I change the password. It's quite frustrating and I'd appreciate some help in figuring out how I can secure my account.

As I mentioned above you should change the security questions as well, not just the password.

Define "locked up"?  You cannot log in any more?  What?

And who is "it" in "because it keeps detecting malicious activity"?  Att/yahoo email doesn't have any such reporting mechanism that I am aware of.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 y ago

I mean, I consider it hacked in the sense that someone else got onto my account and attempted to send malicious emails that seemed to contain some kind of virus. For the past week, I have had to change my password multiple times because the Windows Mail app says there is an issue, and then when it has me attempt to log in again, Yahoo (the "it" in the above) says "Your account may have been compromised and you need to change your password" when I try to log in, and there's not really any other options from that page. So, I've ended up changing the password a few times. Now, I have gotten on and changed the myAT&T password and recovery questions, and I haven't had the issue happen again, granted it has only been a day.

At this point, what I'm mainly concerned about is the fact that I can't remove these unknown email accounts from my recovery email address list, as I have updated all the other security options, there's not much else I can do.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.