Need to update email settings?
D

• 

7 Messages

Thu, Jan 13, 2022 11:32 PM

Can't find chat icon in the forums

While reading the internet and security forums, I have noticed that several people were advised to DM about their issue. Out of curiosity, I decided to look for the chat icon, and it does not appear on the top of the page. On the top right I see the bell symbol and a purple circle that leads to my account. There is no chat icon at all. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

26.7K Messages

12 d ago

Most users cannot see the DM icon until someone (typically someone from ATTHelp) sends them a DM.  Then they can click on it, see the DM and reply to whomever sent them a DM.

It looks like this:

ACE - Expert

• 

21.4K Messages

12 d ago

Chat & DM (Direct Message) are two different animals.

You don't access the chat feature via these forums.  Click Contact Us at the BOTTOM of this page, choose your service and look for the "Chat" option.

For DMs, look for the small square word bubble (with lines)  to the left of the bell in the upper right hand corner of this page. 

(edited)

• 

7 Messages

12 d ago

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I guess I wasn't as clear as I might have been. I was wondering actually about DMs. To the left of the bell on the top right of the page, I see (moving left) att.com, Leaderboard, Ask a question, and Categories. There is no square word bubble with lines to the left of the bell. The problem might be that I recently had to set up my Forums account using my gmail address. After making repeated errors with signing in with my ATT email last fall, I was permanently locked out of that method of signing in, sadly. Could the gmail address associated with my Forums account be the reason I can't DM if needed? I had no choice about that log-in, unfortunately. Thank you for advising me.

ACE - Expert

• 

21.4K Messages

12 d ago

@JefferMC  Could it be that some participants don't have access to the DM feature and if not, why not?

@duchja  Can you take a screen shot of this page so we can absolutely confirm that you DO NOT have the DM feature and we'll bring it to the attention of TPTB.

ETA:  I'm registered with a Hotmail account & have the DM icon so I can't imagine that having a Gmail address would matter.

(edited)

• 

7 Messages

12 d ago

I am the OP. Thank you so much to everyone who commented and helped. The situation makes perfect sense to me now that JefferMC explained that users don't see the DM icon until someone (ATTHelp) sends the user a DM first. That's a relief to know, and I appreciate the info.  It's also good to know, as ETA, explained, that email addresses other that ATT work with the DMs within the forums. 

ATTHelp

Community Support

• 

180.5K Messages

12 d ago

Hey duchja, we understand that you have questions regarding DMs. We're here to help answer that for you.

As the Ace stated @JefferMC, once you have been sent the invite to the DM you would see the DM icon.

Please let us know if that answers your question.

Charles, AT&T Community Forums

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.