For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
donskiff's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, March 9th, 2019 6:36 PM

Blocking email spam

I’m suddenly inundated by spam messages. How do I block them?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

Sorry.  With att/yahoo email, if the spam filters are already classifying that stuff as spam and filtering into the spam folder, that's about it.   People try blocked addresses but generally quickly find spammers know about that kind of feature in most popular/free email services which don't have any pattern matching and just vary the email address so blocked addressing is useless.  User filtering, which does have at least some limited pattern matching, won't work because att/yahoo spam filters have precedence.

I don't know why there are recent reports from some users of a "sudden increase".  Maybe new lists of email addresses are floating around and spammers are trying them out.  It's never clear where these lists come from in the first place but they do.  My standard recommendation (although most people apparently don't like it) is switch to an email service that provides the tools you need to fight spam, usually a pay service (they are relatively cheap).  With a free service like att/yahoo email (and it is considered free) you generally get what you pay for.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

Just keep marking them as spam. Unfortunately, the yahoo spam filters need to be retrained periodically. 

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I have reoccurring Emails that are SPAM and when trying to block senders, they reappear quickly after the block attempt has finished. I have removed the address of these emails from the blocking list to no avail. Any suggestions as to how to block these emails?

Example of address:[email scrubbed] - has been removed, delete attempted, blocks one of the multiple entries using this address, but do not delete all the others.

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

These spam notifications have the beginning address admin@ and has several additional locations. I have removed all these address from the blocked email address, added generic filters to block the admin@ to no avail.  Opening one of these will also show additional email address in the "from" address line which I have added to the listing of additional filters and that does not block and delete them. Others that fall in the spam folder seem to block and delete as expected. getting multiple pages from this one address prefix has gotten beyond ridiculous...I sure would like someone to help please.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.