Announcements
You Could WIN A Year Of Wireless Service – Learn More!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Oct 24, 2018 11:35 PM

AT&T Yahoo Email Problems

The email I have been using is AT&T Yahoo which I access at sbcglobal.net.

Two days ago I received an email from AT&T:

Dear User,

Your AT&T Yahoo Mail version is outdated and has expired.

Failure to Upgrade to the newest AT&T Yahoo! Mail  now will result to a permanent account closure.

According to provision 17.9 of Terms and Conditions,  Yahoo may at anytime terminate its services for accounts. 

Visit -Help-Desk  here To re-validate your mailbox .

Note: Failure to comply with 48hrs might lead to permanent deactivation.

I followed the link "Help-Desk" and could find nothing related to upgrading to the newest AT&T Yahoo Mail.
Over this past night, everyone in my email Contact List received a fake email purporting to be from me - userid@@sbcglobal.net.  I did not send any such email.
Upon hearing about the fake email, I tried to send an email to all my contacts indicating the email they had previously received was not from me.  However, when I tried to access the Contact List all contacts were gone.  I had an empty List. 

However, when I start to fill in the "To:" when composing an email, it shows some of my contacts.  Additionally, I tried to go to the "Help-Desk" just a few minutes ago and now I get a warning message from McAfee:

This website has been reported as unsafe modified.cf 

We recommend that you do not continue to this website. It has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats to your computer that might reveal personal or financial information.

*************************************************************************************************

To wrap up, I manually tried to add contacts and it seemed to work.  However, still nothing in the Contact List.

AT&T - what is going on?????????

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

_xyzzy_

ACE - Expert

• 

15K Messages

2 years ago

I followed the link "Help-Desk" and could find nothing related to upgrading to the newest AT&T Yahoo Mail.

That's because that was a phishing email and you should not have clicked anything and simply trashed it instead.

That Visit Help Desk link was to a url modified.cf/fd/att/index.html which certainly isn't att.  Looks like your McAfee picked up on the modified.cf domain too.

Over this past night, everyone in my email Contact List received a fake email purporting to be from me - userid@@sbcglobal.net.  I did not send any such email.
Upon hearing about the fake email, I tried to send an email to all my contacts indicating the email they had previously received was not from me.  However, when I tried to access the Contact List all contacts were gone.  I had an empty List. 
So it sounds like you may have been hacked.  You might be able to recover a backup of the contacts list by getting into the contacts in the webmail and from the Actions tool in the toolbar select "Restore from backup".

Here's the things that I recommend you do and/or check for a hacked account:

• Change your password (and maybe the security questions too, but password is usually "good enough").  The link I supplied allows you to change the password thee ways; using your security questions, using your recovery email address, or by snail mail.
  • Log into your webmail through start.att.net and click gear->settings.  In the webmail settings panel you will see a number of commands on the left.  The ones that need checking are Accounts, Filters, and Blocked Addresses.
  • Accounts.  Click that and choose an account to bring up that account's settings panel.  Scroll down the panel to see the name and Reply-to address and see if they are suspicious.  Blank it out if you don't want that set.  Scroll down further to see the forwarding setting and make sure it is blank or what you want.  When you are done click the Save button to update that account's settings.
  • Filters.  Look for suspicious filters and subtle filter names like '.' (a dot).  Remove them and click the Save button.
  • Blocked Addresses.  Make sure no addresses are defined who's email you don't want blocked.  Click Save to update those settings.

Note, about your contacts.  If the hacker made a copy of the list to send out further phishing emails you may want to warn your contacts (assuming you get the list back) to possibly expect further spam/phishing emails in the future.  You too.  Once a contacts list is "out in the wild" there's no getting it back.  The list will possibly be included with other lists to be sold to other spammers/phishers.  Short of changing your email address I see no definitive solution to this.  If you don't change your address all you can do is give a "heads up" to your contacts.  Maybe they can create filters (rules) if the spam contains some consistent string(s) to match on, maybe not.  Or maybe they can flag the stuff as spam hoping their spam filters will pick it up.

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click "Like" if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks for the info.  I tried the "Restore" multiple times and all appears normal as though it actually restored the contact.  But no joy.  Contact list contains zero entries.
I find another problem this morning - all incoming emails are going to the Trash folder instead of the Inbox. 
I'll followup on your suggestions.
_xyzzy_

ACE - Expert

• 

15K Messages

2 years ago

I find another problem this morning - all incoming emails are going to the Trash folder instead of the Inbox. 

That could be because of a filter.

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click "Like" if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Unable to log into my email account and am not getting new emails on my att.net

Contributor

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

My email was hacked too.  I got the same phishing email that looked like it came from ATT.  It came every other day for about two months.  I kept deleting it. Then the email colors and format changed and things got slow.  In a weak moment I clicked on.

AT&T Yahoo

Dear User,

Our system indicates that your AT&T Yahoo Mail is Out-dated due to recent upgrade to our database which has caused some incoming mails to be placed on pending. Kindly click here  to update your Mailbox in order to be able to receive new mails.  (DON"T CLICK ON HERE)

That same day this happened. First email

Hi,
Happy new Year, can i ask a little favor?

Second email

Thank you for your reply, Please i need you to help me purchase an iTunes gift card for my Niece , Its her birthday but  I can't do this now because I'm currently traveling. Kindly let me know if you can help me handle this.

Regards,
AT&T Mail Support!

Then they send an email asking whether you have done this or not with a return email address.

Now my incoming email is going to the Trash and you can click on what you want to restore to the inbox.  I changed the password three times.  I don't know whether i am using Yahoo email or ATT email?  The email page still has the ATT logo at the top left next to Yahoo email. You now have to log in with AAT.com and access the email page with ATT.net.

To recap.  There was no announcement by ATT about these changes.  All you can do is call tech support for an email password reset. Got information from CHAT about logging into ATT.com.  After asking probing questions did the answers unfold.  Still confused.  Am I now using ATT email or Yahoo email?  Chat told me the login change was due to Yahoo being bought by Verizon. Is Email going to Trash part of the hack? ATT did a terrible job by trying to be transparent and you can't talk to anybody except to reset passwords.  Also some of the ATT help link about email resulted in 404, page not found. Obviously, the chaos caused by ATT was fertile ground for the hackers to exploit. Anyone have any insight as to what's going on with the email changes. This is beyond frustrating.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 months ago

When this came to my email@att.net account 10/2/2019, I was skeptical and the first warning was the invalid certificate message:

(Well I'd have posted the screen shot but this rinky-dink website does not allow "browse to photo" to click and add a photo.) So the text of the message is: "Website Certified by an unknown Authority" with three radio buttons: "Accept this certificate permanently," "Accept the certificate temporarily for this session," and "Do not accept this certificate and do not connect to the web site."

After that my e-mail client (I pop e-mail from yahoo to my computer with thunder bird) allows me to "hover over the link" and displays the address. Simple examination of the address reveals that the base domain is not ATT or Yahoo:

https // cloud9.ng/ wp-admin/ user/ att.net/ index.php.    <- Spaces added so that the posting will not display it as a link!!

Follow these rules to check your e-mail before you click any suspicious e-mail.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 months ago

When this came to my email@att.net account 10/2/2019, I was skeptical and the first warning was the invalid certificate message:

(Well I'd have posted the screen shot but this rinky-dink website does not allow "browse to photo" to click and add a photo.) So the text of the message is: "Website Certified by an unknown Authority" with three radio buttons: "Accept this certificate permanently," "Accept the certificate temporarily for this session," and "Do not accept this certificate and do not connect to the web site."

After that my e-mail client (I pop e-mail from yahoo to my computer with thunder bird) allows me to "hover over the link" and displays the address. Simple examination of the address reveals that the base domain is not ATT or Yahoo:

https // cloud9.ng/ wp-admin/ user/ att.net/ index.php.    <- Spaces added so that the posting will not display it as a link!!

Follow these rules to check your e-mail before you click any suspicious e-mail.