Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.
lauraq

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

Fri, Mar 10, 2017 5:29 AM

ATT Yahoo email downloading tens of thousands of emails all over again!

Hi There, I need to know what is going on with att.yahoo email for the past week or so.  First of all I have been having a horrible time getting my mails to outlook in a timely fashion.  Whatever email I can see on the webmail version of att.yahoo.com has been taking up to an hour or longer to get to outlook.  For my iphone, it's been fine.  But for outlook, it's been a big problem.  The issue has been having on and off for a couple of weeks.  Then all of a sudden tonight, outlook is downloading 58,000+ emails from the last two years!  What is going on?  Can someone please help!

Thanks

Responses

Brand User
ATTHelp

Administrator

• 

108.4K Messages

3 years ago

Hello @lauraq,

We apologize for this inconvenience with email.  Take a look at this Email Troubleshooting article that offers useful tips to help with your issue.  This ATT Email Web Support help link may also assist.  You can find additional information on the right side rail of this page under Internet Hot Topics.

Thanks.

-ATTU-verseCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
loocie

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

3 years ago

ATTCares, I have the exact same issue as original poster.  Your links do NOT lead to any solution that remotely relates to this issue.  This forum is the only option for tech support for @att.net email accounts.  We would appreciate a little more than a blanket response that does not apply.

Brand User
ATTHelp

Administrator

• 

108.4K Messages

3 years ago

Hi @lauraq,

Since this is an issue with outlook, we recommend contacting microsoft. They have more insight to their product. In the article we sent, it has some troubleshooting information that may help. 

-ATTU-verseCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I'm using apple iOS and am having the same issue.  Spradically I can get an email  heading or two on one device, but content shows to be loading.  When I last looked, there were 601 emails downloading into my account.  I also have gmail on the same devices and am having no issue whatsoever with them

loocie

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

3 years ago

Well, I hate to tell you, but it is not an Outlook issue, because my att.net email is the only one having the problem.  Please try again.

lauraq

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

3 years ago

I want to reiterate what the others are saying.  This is NOT an outlook issue.  This is an att.yahoo problem.  It is only happening with this email account. I have five other email accounts, and no other account is doing this.  I cannot open outlook for the past week, because if I do, it will redownload anything on the att.yahoo email server.  If I open outloook now, and it downloads 500 of the 50,000 emails on the server, and then I close it, it will again start with number 1 of 50,000 and begin downloading all over again!   At this point, I have at least three copies of the 1,000 emails on the server.  The only thing I can do is to tediously go into the server at att.yahoo.com and delete the 50,000 emails sitting on the server.  Otherwise, I don't now how to make this stop!

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I'm having this same problem as of 24 hours ago, and it's the second time in 10 days. Old, duplicate e-mails from years ago are flooding my sbcglobal.net inbox that I view through Outlook on my desktop PC, and there's nothing to do to stop it, seemingly. It's sucking up bandwidth, and takes hours to delete these e-mails dating back to 2011. At this very moment, my status is "RECEIVING MESSAGE 390 OF 57,903." and each message is a duplicate from years ago. Thus far, ATT turns a blind eye to my issue, and to yours they shamefully pass the buck to Outlook. Terrible.

Brand User
ATTHelp

Administrator

• 

108.4K Messages

3 years ago

Hi,

Do you have the "leave a copy on server" checked? To avoid this, you will probably want to uncheck this so it does not do this. There are many reasons this can occur, and we have seen it happen on one account, but not another. To be sure there are no issues in your E-mail account, you can login to your webmail account, and see if there are any things that might be a problem in your mail account.

-ATTU-verseCare

loocie

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

3 years ago

I have had the "leave a copy on server" box checked for YEARS without this problem occuring.  In fact, my settings have not changed at all since well before this issue started happening.  I do not want to uncheck this box for several reasons, but it shouldn't matter and it hasn't mattered.  This cannot be the reason we are getting all these emails downloaded again.  

loocie

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

3 years ago

Just wanted to share this - i thought it was very curious.....

While I was on the phone I was looking at my email inbox screen.  I had already moved emails from Feb to last June out of my inbox.  The newest (older) message was dated 6/7 and had already been read, of course.  That email now showed unread.  so I selected it and marked it read.  It immediately changed back to unread.  so I deleted it.  The next newest (older) email now changed to unread.  Deleted it, and the next one changed to unread.....  

Strange happenings with my att/yahoo email might have to switch to another.  A headache for sure, but a one-time headache.  You never know with ATT/Yahoo mail.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have the "Remove from server when deleted from 'Deleted Items'" selected and still have this issue. Only on my desktop. From all my mobile devices or from the web interface, it doesn't happen. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I think I've resolved this. My fix is for POP3 servers and Thunderbird only but it might work for other standalone email clients.

1. Find the most recent duplicate email message and make a note of its date stamp.

2. Shut down Thunderbird.

3. Open the Yahoo! webmail page and log in.

4. Create a new folder called Old Email (or something).

5. Sort the Inbox by oldest date first.

6. Select all 50 messages shown, and move selected messages to the new folder.

7. Repeat step 6 until ALL messages older than the date found in step 1 have been moved. 

It's tedious, but it works because the client will only check the inbox for messages flagged by the server as new. If they're not in the inbox, they won't be retrieved by the client. You will still have access to your old mail, but through the web interface.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Re: ATT Yahoo email downloading tens of thousands of emails all over again!
I have a new Mac desktop and have had the same problem with my yahoo/bellsouth account. Downloading 38,000 emails dating back to 2011. This problem only exists on the desktop not iPhone or iPad. I tried to solve this issue with ATT and there response is "not our problem". I have been on the phone with highly skilled apple support. We have tried several fixes including setting POP accounts versus SMTP accounts. No luck.
I HAVE THE SOLUTION. IT'S PAINFUL!
SAY GOODBYE TO ATT.
GET A CLEAN START WITH A NEW EMAIL SERVER.
FIND ONE THAT IS ACTUALLY INTERESTED IN CUSTOMER SERVICE!

• 

2 Messages

It is unreal how bad they are.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

It's 2018 and still having the same issue with IOS on phone, not on windows.  How do you stop having deleted messages reload?  I just had over 100 emails reload from June 2017!!  This was not a problem until Feb 2017.  I've dealt with having to actually login to att.net from a browser to delete unwanted emails for over a year and all of a sudden, even deleted emails are reappearing.  FIX THIS PROBLEM!!  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I had the same issue.  When I went to Yahoo on the web I saw that my inbox had 999+ emails.  I right clicked and chose archive.  That fixed the issue.  Not sure why all these emails were in my inbox as I have them scheduled to be deleted off of server after read.  I use POP mail setup.