ATTHelpForums's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

2.6K Messages

Wed, Aug 1, 2018 3:56 PM

Closed

AT&T New Mail

New_Email.jpgStarting September 5th, 2018 all .net ‘webmail’ customers will start to receive notifications about an upcoming email upgrade starting in October.  This new mail experience only affects ‘desktop’ webmail users and will include a more responsive ‘search’ capability, easier to use ‘settings’ menu, overall improved views, and much more!

FAQ:

When will I upgrade?

AT&T New Mail will begin to rollout to AT&T users October 2018.

Do I have to upgrade?

Yes, the planned upgrade will affect all desktop webmail users. 

What is changing?

Only the user interface for ‘desktop’ webmail.  The new email upgrade is designed to take advantage of today’s more modern and supported browsers.

What must I do to prepare for the upgrade?

The upgrade is simple - nothing in your email, folders, notes, calendar, or address book is changing. Your mailbox is only upgrading to a new and improved look and feel.  

If you’re using FireFox, Chrome, and/or a Mac based browser, just sit back, and relax. If you’re currently using Internet Explorer and or a Microsoft Edge browser older than 15.x then please upgrade your browser to a supported browser.

Helpful links are provided below:

Why are you telling me now?

We want to keep our AT&T mail users informed! We believe it is the right thing to do.

AT&TCustomerCare

AT&T Help

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

1 Attachment

tsac

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

3 y ago

Your on track. ATT is moving to an all cell service company and dropping the other services is close. they dropped various states where they had various telephone services including DSL.  The big problem is cell service is limited by tower availability. In my area that is limited. Think about the bandwidth needed if a customer uses cell service for their data, phone and tv. I had the wireless modem with phone and cell service at my house and when kids got out of school in the area the available bandwidth dropped like a rock. I usually got fair service back after 10p at night. forget weekends.

ATT likes to push wireless only to eliminate people. Contractors are doing the majority of the work on cell sites and the service can be from anywhere in the country unlike home phone service that is from a CO in your town in most cases.

With ATT dumping wire service to Frontier in many states it wont be long before any is left. Sadly the youth of today lives and breaths by their cell phones and if service is lost due to weather or interference the world is at end for them.

Also if the country ever has any terrorist issues the government will cut wireless service as a precaution. Two guesses what will still work? Wired phone service.  If you have DSL service it in almost al cases is from the local phone company. You can hope ATT sells the wire service so it will stay in your area.

As for the cable companies, they are no better. the bandwidth is extremely variable and based on some friend who switched they also drop levels at night and weekends. One has 100 meg service and it drops to 3 or 4 meg at night. His tv constantly stalls. Again bandwidth availability is the issue.

Even if they use fiber optic cable it has electronic limits and big costs to upgrade.

ok enough rambling. Lets hope things work for a few more days.Smiley Frustrated.

Nwatson99

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

3 y ago

I tried AT&T's U-verse fixed wireless for 14 days and was very happy with the speeds especially the upload since the DSL service is horrid, but their proxy IP set-up they have on it is horrible and backwards so it blocked me from secured sites which I cannot have that. 

If AT&T removes head from butt and goes to dynamic IP keep their towers working properly so it does not fall on it's face they might have a winner with the fixed wireless system.

I mean what kind of system do you set up when a modem calls for an IP, it does not latch that IP it receives at the time to allow you to do your online work. 

tsac

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

3 y ago

I would suspect they are using random assigned  IP addresses to allow less addresses be assigned to the cell tower.

When a customer makes contact they are given a number and when they disconnect or "hang up" the number goes back to the pool.

Possibly assigned numbers will be given when a subscriber is using something like U-verse or home phone which needs connectivity all the time.

I checked the number I have assigned to my home phone and it has not changed from the beginning.  They may

be changing IP's for other type services that disconnect.

The random IP's may have more security or firewalls to avoid the address from being used for hacking. I think a lot of people have anti virus but not many keep it updated or even use services like Malwarebytes. If a user connects to a bad site and disconnects the next user who get the IP may be in for a big problem.

I would also suspect the IP4 address pool  assigned to ATT is limited based on ICANN information and the fact IP4 addresses are on just about everything now. Many companies and other organizations are running out and I would also suspect things like home cameras that rely on a specific IP4 address for remote access will be forced to convert to IP6 vs IP4 type. that will require a lot of software changes and who will pay.

Ok enough.

Nwatson99

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

3 y ago

And that is exactly how a dynamic pool does work, when you make a call you have an IP attached to your phone, once the call is done you put that IP back into circulation.

The U-Verse fixed wireless should behave like any other internet modem, you call for an IP, you keep that IP until you are finished, then you shutdown or computer goes to sleep it re;leases that IP, but fixed wireless was changing IP addresses with the click of a mouse thus you go to a secured site you have 1` IP address, you click log in you get another IP, once the login proceeds you get another IP, thus blocking you from logging in secured.

tsac

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

3 y ago

Not quite. the IP use in you home or business is usually 192.168.?.? considered a private number

10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255 and from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 are reserved for private addresses while the rest are for public IPs. The internal side is private and the external side is public.

The modem uses the network  public IP which is generally assigned to the modem. like 132.23.5.89 or what ever is available.

Once assigned it stays. Most companies record the number for each customer to allow for remote access in the event they need repair or maintenance. A dynamic address is not used.  The only difference is If the business pays for additional network addresses it does not need to use private numbers although most only use private numbers for inside the company.

Doing some internet searching I found people are seeing their IP blocked and it seems to be Web site errors in some cases and unknown in others. some think it may be a block caused by a previous hack attempt by the ip or ip range so it's blocked.

Fun is just beginning.

84B23F

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

3 y ago

RE: "...IP4 address pool  assigned to ATT is limited based on ICANN..."

In beginning days, Telcos were assign large pools of IPv4 addresses, which they assigned to their commercial customers (think ISPs).  With time, these have been reassigned to these customers.

RE:  "seeing their IP blocked"

Old news...been going on for years...a dynamic IP address gets block, and a new user of it can't visit a site.

RE: "you keep that IP until you are finished"

On two different wireless carriers I use, unless cellphones are powered down, or unless no cell reception, the assigned dynamic IP will remain active.  Hence, when there is a "failure to communicate," then after a period of time, the dynamic IP may be reassigned.  In a Smartphone's configuration menu, usually in About Phone for Android, one can find assigned IP address.  It's better, imho, to have changing IP addresses.  If browser cookies/etc are wiped out, daily/weekly, then sites will not know who you are...and online pricing at some sites may be different (a marketing game they play).

RE: "dynamic IP"

All IPs have a routing location....so other computers know where to send WWW requests...etc.   For instance, I use a satellite based ISP, and each packet is sent to Denver, CO, where they are processed and sent to me.  I'd venture to say for wireless companies, they have internet servers setup in various locations across US, and each server has many towers assigned to it.  Most likely, if a customer is outside of these towers, a new IP address will be assigned, or your packets will be sent to their server in your current location.   Doing a DOS tracert command can determine where the server is located.

84B23F

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

3 y ago

RE: "AT&T whom hire contractors"

Standard procedures since POTs days...be it microwave towers of previous years, laying fiber optics in 1970s, or cell tower construction...its all hired out.

RE: "AT&T responsibility to make sure their contractor performs to their standards."

In microwave-tower days, it was common for them to contract one company to monitor the other company doing the work.  I would venture to say this has been SOP since earlier days.  Their main focus has mainly been to manage the infrastructure, not build it.  In previous years, Bell Telephone Laboratories "created" equipment for their system, and Western Electric company was their manufacturing organization for the Bell System.  But, AT&T did not build the buildings, lay fiber optics across US, nor build microwave towers, cell towers, etc....but they did manage them.

tsac

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

3 y ago

Not sure where your at but in the Northeast the bell companies including ATT did do construction work on pole and underground lines. No they did not build towers or dig the street pathways but once the pipe was in they had employees do the cable install.

Also once the buildings were built, Western Electric employees did ALL the work installing the equipment in the office.

Ok that was the old days and yes contractors are used now. Probably to save costs related to employees like medical and retirement. Talking to folks in states up north like Ohio , Wisconsin , Michigan and Illinois the same was there. I think the late 90's is where the change started. Management looked for ways to save and today we have the result.   

So were is all this leading up to?? We need to keep our cell phones on to keep the same ip address.Smiley Very HappyMan Wink

84B23F

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

3 y ago

RE: "...keep our cell phones on to keep the same ip address"

I use two different cellphones, on two different cell providers, with no AT&T service

1.  DuraXV-LTE - Leave Mobile Data On

2.  Samsung S8 - Leave Mobile Data On

If cellphone is turned off, or if data is turned off, poof goes the dynamic IP.

Both phones have HD Voice ability, and HD Voice uses VoLTE, but in my case, only one carrier implements HD Voice.  HD Voice  requires a WiFi or Mobile Data turned on.  Hence, based upon two other carriers, leave mobile data and cellphone both on.  That said, YMMV, depending upon how AT&T configured their network. 

In ISP world, for instance, dynamic IPs have a lease time, and either same IP can be renewed or a new IP when lease is up.  In regards to a cell provider, with motoring users, it would be prudent for them to flip IPs when moving into another set of cell towers that have different set of IPs (for internet routing for packets).  I have no idea how this is done, and when.

Caveat - I've always seen a dynamic IP, but I've never monitored them to see how often they flip.  Someone above, iirc, suggested IP flips off when done with call...I've never seen this...maybe Turn off HD-Voice.

Nwatson99

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

3 y ago

I was on the phone with AT&T "Tier 2" Tech for fixed wireless and we were trying to troubleshoot the issues of some secured sites I was unable to log into to prove their IP's are not holding when the modem calls for one and the IPs' were rotating at a mouse click.

After I explained what was happening and gave a list of sites I was having trouble logging into, this was performed.

I rebooted the modem, Tier 2 tech rebooted the tower in my area, and once everything was 100% functioning

Then I went to my discussion forum I own "which I have a SSL certificate so my site url begins with https:" and in the back room I created a test topic and made 11 test posts in that test topic.

These IP's are recorded from fixed wireless internet with these test posts posted in a time frame of 7 minutes.

The modem was not turned off, the computer was not shut down, restarted, nor went to sleep and I remained on my web-site the entire time. Encase anyone wants to ask, and while on the phone with the tech he recorded the IP numbers as well.

My server is hosted in a data center and I was unable to log into it nor the web-mail on that server, with my failed attempts and the IP never holding I was banned from my own server.

I even went so far as to white-list the most common IP block from the fixed wireless and still it changed so much I was getting banned anyway.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

how do I get my e mail started

tsac

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

3 y ago

The only time I have seen ip addresses change that frequently is when the device was constantly loosing connectivity.

There are various programs that can be downloaded that will allow you to monitor the local network connection and see if its your computer or further out. If you dont see any problems with your computer then the next would be the model your using.

As for the ATT technician rebooting the entire tower, he would be fired if he dropped all the customers on a cell tower for one customer unless that customer was the CEO of ATT. what he did was restart your port on the tower you were connected to at the time.

tsac

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

3 y ago

6504miller63

what are you using now? You can go to ATT and get a new email address.

The link is below.

https://attreg.att.net/CommonRegistrationWeb/opr/index.jsp#/collectCTNandZip

TOMMEMPHIS

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

3 y ago

I’m guessing you’re using the AT&T “HomeBase” product which provides a jack for a telephone set. We have 2 copper landlines for home/businesses and also broadband for internet. The HomeBase is used as a hotspot for my wife who is a teacher. She and her students have never had any problems accessing the internet with it.

i have a friend that uses a HomeBase as his fixed wireless internet access in a rural environment. He is addicted to streaming movies but reports no problems at all.

I'm wondering if certain areas of the country are having better results with fixed wireless than others. Good luck to you with the issues you’re having!

84B23F

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

3 y ago

RE: "AT&T "Tier 2" Tech for fixed wireless"

Need a network geek here...

1.  Turn off any electrical device in your home that emits EMF signal...including Smartphones.

2.  So, your DHCP lease time is getting flipped....do you have an external router hooked to their device?  Are you doing WiFi or Ethernet to your desktop/laptop I assume?

3.  See this thread

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.