Protect yourself online
Enxsss's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Thursday, October 10th, 2019 1:19 AM

AT&T email Setup

I am trying to update the mail server settings on a mail client running on Windows 7. I have been provided with the information noted below from AT&Ts link, also noted below. The IMAP servers (imap.mail.att.net, smtp.mail.att.net) work as expected. Indicating that I have properly setup both the servers and the Secure Mail Key provided by AT&T for the account. Also, the Outgoing POP server, smtp.mail.att.net, works as expected. However, the provided Incoming POP server, inbound.mail.att.net, return the following error from the email client. "2: Bad address "inbound.mail.att.net"." I tried changing the server address to pop.mail.att.net but this made no difference.

Can anyone explanation as to why the provided address inbound.mail.att.net is not working? Everything else is.

IMAP (Incoming Mail)
imap.mail.att.net
Port: 993

SMTP (Outgoing Mail)
smtp.mail.att.net
Port: 465

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

POP (Incoming Mail)
inbound.mail.att.net
Port: 993

POP (Outgoing Mail)
smtp.mail.att.net
Port: 465

http://service.comms.yahoo.net/T/v40000016d50c5fa8f98430ff4bbe5bf30/51f7d8930a9b4d7b0000021ef3a0bcc2/51f7d893-0a9b-4d7b-9f9f-420f39feb0a3?__F__=v0fUYvjHMDjRPMSh3tviDHXIoXcPxvDgUUCCPvXMWoX_0JoZLAZABQFxq85CiPOePJGc2bHvxiakMuVNCaSysG_tqB3uPTVJfzY5VTlas6LmXRRORGYZgc5aarL1xGzjIG83DuP8l2mBHILEc5AR5rkPvUtnXrHEd9T6Ms0KbyRnY1ZKm5WHB9JlZrW7Sy8q3pUbeqZ6BwmYpROoFDBhrUUZr6O3emVySIFPP2wNVIs7nP_Z9KSFPX6jIDcvazpTbuasaUlaZ7IAd-xU-W3xqLiV-pxusU46odbpGAS60ucnUGRCrEKV_4xjPQFjNxlwrR

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

The server settings are documented here.   Compare what you posted above with the SMTP servers and ports defined in that settings page.  I'm hoping you just made a bunch of typos but you make those mistakes too many times I think for them to be typos. 

Which configuration are you trying to set up in your email client: POP or IMAP?  Your post is confusing because it sounds like you are trying to configure both.  That fine so long as you configure two accounts in your client; one for POP and one for IMAP.  But I doubt you really intend to do that.

(edited)

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

The following section of this message contains a file attachment
prepared for transmission using the Internet MIME message format.
If you are using Pegasus Mail, or any other MIME-compliant system,
you should be able to save it or view it from within your mailer.
If you cannot, please ask your system administrator for assistance.

---- File information -----------
File: hts_2.PNG
Date: 10 Oct 2019, 21:52
Size: 137733 bytes.
Type: Unknown

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for your response. The information you provided regarding the correct servers resolved the issue.

With regards to your comment about there being multiple typos in my initial post, they were not typos. That is verbatim the information provided through the link provided by AT&T in their notice for updating the email servers. Below are screen shots from the web page showing the misinformation provided by AT&T that turned what should have been a five minute update in to a two day project.

Regarding your comment about trying to setup both the POP servers and the IMAP servers, this was indeed the case. The client I am using, Pegasus Mail. provides both POP and IMAP capabilities. I use the POP servers to both send and download emails directly to my computer. I use the IMAP capability to quickly review and delete emails directly on the server to save the time of downloading unnecessary email. I find this to be very convenient.

Again, thank you for your assistance. Your information regarding the correct servers resolved the issue.

Cheers !

01.JPG 02.JPG

2 Attachments

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

With regards to your comment about there being multiple typos in my initial post, they were not typos. That is verbatim the information provided through the link provided by AT&T in their notice for updating the email servers. Below are screen shots from the web page showing the misinformation provided by AT&T that turned what should have been a five minute update in to a two day project.
Would be nice if you provided a link to where you got that from.  As far as I know there has been no notice about updating the servers since the servers haven't changed in years.  At any rate the POP info listed there for the POP server and port are wrong and the SMTP server for the POP is wrong too.  IMAP looks ok.

Regarding your comment about trying to setup both the POP servers and the IMAP servers, this was indeed the case. The client I am using, Pegasus Mail. provides both POP and IMAP capabilities. I use the POP servers to both send and download emails directly to my computer. I use the IMAP capability to quickly review and delete emails directly on the server to save the time of downloading unnecessary email. I find this to be very convenient.
Not sure really  what you are saving.  The IMAP account is going to always sync with the server so the stuff is being downloaded to your client just like POP.  And POP settings always allow you to control when emails in the server inbox get deleted - from never to after a specified amount of time to delete when you delete from the client.  This is why it didn't make sense to have both POP and IMAP set up for the same account. [FWIW I do, but only because sometimes I need to do testing to answer some posts in these forums.]

Anyway glad you got it all working.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

Would be nice if you provided a link to where you got that from.

Unfortunately, I deleted the email notice from AT&T which provided the initial link once the issue was resolved. Nor is the page saved in my browser history. So I can not provide the link. However, below is a image that I took of the complete page as part of my notes. Perhaps you could find it via a search.

IMAP allows me to access the folder structure of my mail account without having to login through the web portal. This, in turn, allows me to access folders other than the Inbox, such as the spam folder, and move emails back and fourth between my computer and the mail server. Thus preventing me from having to be exposed to the myriad of advertisements that defile the internet. Something I can do without.

AT&T Web Page-001.jpgAT&T Web Page-002.jpg

2 Attachments

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

IMAP allows me to access the folder structure of my mail account without having to login through the web portal. This, in turn, allows me to access folders other than the Inbox, such as the spam folder, and move emails back and fourth between my computer and the mail server. Thus preventing me from having to be exposed to the myriad of advertisements that defile the internet. Something I can do without.

As part of the POP/IMAP/SMTP email protocol exchange it always "logs in".  That's what the authorization info in your client's settings provide.  There is no way to access the servers without passing that information.  Your client does the work so nothing is being "saved" in the work you have to do to access the servers via an email client.  By definition, IMAP configured clients are always in sync with the servers and the webmail always mirrors the servers.  Anyway, do whatever you find best for you.

Unfortunately, I deleted the email notice from AT&T which provided the initial link once the issue was resolved. Nor is the page saved in my browser history. So I can not provide the link. However, below is a image that I took of the complete page as part of my notes. Perhaps you could find it via a search.

The top of what you show looks like it's coming from the Troubleshoot & Resolve.  I was hoping I could find it by going there, clicking Email Setup & Repair -> Setup or Update Email Applications.  Unfortunately that ended in with an alert - "Unfortunately, we are unable to access Troubleshoot & Resolve at this time."  If I could get in there and that same incorrect info was in there I would report it.  Oh well.  Not going to worry about it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.