Need to update email settings?
Kabinenroller's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sun, Mar 3, 2019 3:59 AM

All emails from last month and beyond are gone from yahoo mail site

my iPad does not show any emails from before 2/12/19, I looked on the yahoo site, logged in and they are not there either. Is there a server down somewhere? Are these emails recoverable?

how do I recover them? This has happened on both of my email address on multiple pieces of equipment.

thank you

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 y ago

Is this a new problem?

Did you check the spam and trash folders in the webmail?

Is that ipad email set up as IMAP or POP?

If POP what do you have the delete from server setting set to?  Could be never delete to some other amount.

If they are gone the best you might be able to do is recover at most the last 7 days...maybe...through ATT Missing Mail Restore.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 y ago

thank you for the reply.

it seems that only the in box emails are missing. If I go to the sent items folder everything is still there. I noticed this issue yesterday, I looked for a setting that changes when items are deleted but I have not found that option. I have not changed any settings prior to this issue.

it also seems that the email we received on our PC through Outlook is still intact, only the IOS devices and the yahoo mail web site do not show the emails prior to 2-12-19.

would a visit to the local at&t store help?

thank you

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 y ago

it also seems that the email we received on our PC through Outlook is still intact, only the IOS devices and the yahoo mail web site do not show the emails prior to 2-12-19.

So you have another email client in play here, i.e., your Outlook.  And the behavior you are describing sounds to me that your outlook is configured as a POP and is has its delete option et to keep only the amount of email you see in the webmail inbox.  I assume your ipod is set for IMAP so it see whatever the webmail sees.

So check your outlook to see if its a POP setup and verify that "keep"/""delete" setting.  If it is POP you will have to convert it to IMAP.  But before you do that, because you have the missing stuff only in your outlook and not on the server, a small "detour" will be needed to protect that missing stuff from getting lost.  So post back if I am correct that outlook is a POP setup.

would a visit to the local at&t store help?

The att stores are not a tech support.  Only sales.  They won't and can't help you with any att issues.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 y ago

I appreciate the guidance.

I should mention that the issue with missing emails is with two different email addresses and that one of them is not “connected” to Outlook on the PC.

The PC is connected to a modem via a cable, it’s Outlook program controls an email address (example:

johndoe@sbcglobal.net) there are two iPads and two iPhones that work wirelessly from the modem. One of each receives the “sbcglobal” emails, the other iPad and iPhone receive the “sbcglobal” emails and another email from a “yahoo.com” account. The problem is with all the accounts, the “yahoo.com” account is missing all of the emails from the same time frame as the “sbcglobal” account even through it is not connected in any way to the PC. That issue I do not understand.

If the settings on the PC for Outlook need to be modified I would feel much more comfortable having a qualified technician make the changes. My fear is that I would do something to make the issue worse.

One  of my thoughts for the IPads would to delete the email account then reinstall it, but I am afraid that the items in some of the files I have created to hold certain important messages would not reload when the program is reinstalled. ( those emails are still in the files even though they date back before the last message in the inbox)

I hope I have explained this clearly.

Regards

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 y ago

The PC is connected to a modem via a cable, it’s Outlook program controls an email address (example:

johndoe@sbcglobal.net) there are two iPads and two iPhones that work wirelessly from the modem. One of each receives the “sbcglobal” emails, the other iPad and iPhone receive the “sbcglobal” emails and another email from a “yahoo.com” account.

The problem is with all the accounts, the “yahoo.com” account is missing all of the emails

How do I parse all this?  How these devices are connected doesn't matter - they are all internet connections.  You say outlook accesses an sbcglobal address.  Then you also say the ipads/iphones also access sbcglobal emails (implied in that is with their email client apps).  So does the ipad access the same sbcglobal.net account outlook does and the iphone access a yahoo.com account or vice versa or both?  Is there another sbcglobal.net sub-account in this mix they are accessing?  Is the problem accessing a separate yahoo.com account?

At this point I can't tell if you have multiple sbcglobal.com accounts plus a yahoo.com account, who is accessing which, and if these email clients are configured IMAP or POP.  If there is a actual yahoo.com account in this mix then you need to contact yahoo if that's the one with the problem.  Sbcglobal accounts are att legacy accounts and have nothing to do with yahoo (except for that fact yahoo runs the email servers).

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 y ago

I have been in contact with both Yahoo and ATT, they both say they can restore the missing emails if they have been missing for the last seven days. I am not sure when the email began to disappear I just noticed it last Friday.

The PC uses MS Outlook to access my sbcglobal account. My IPad accesses both the sbcglobal account and my yahoo.com account using the IOS mail app. I can also access both email accounts by logging into the ATT mail web site. The missing emails are still on the PC because Outlook down loads them, I know they are missing because they are not visible on the ATT web site or on the IOS app.

I have no idea why they were deleted, this has never happened in all the years we have had these accounts and no one has changed any settings. Only the inbox emails are missing, the sent items and anything I have put into a separate file are still there. Very strange. My next stop is the Apple store to see if they have an excuse or solution for this issue.

thank you for all the help.

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 y ago

I have been in contact with both Yahoo and ATT, they both say they can restore the missing emails if they have been missing for the last seven days.

I mentioned that back in post 2 - at least with respect to the att accounts.  I have no idea what the equivalent contact is for yahoo.

The PC uses MS Outlook to access my sbcglobal account. My IPad accesses both the sbcglobal account and my yahoo.com account using the IOS mail app.  I can also access both email accounts by logging into the ATT mail web site.

So you have two accounts defined in your iOS email client.  One is the same sbcglobal account that outlook accesses and the other is a yahoo.com account.   Thus, as I read this, the iOS email client is the only client accessing the yahoo.com account.

But I still don't know how you have these email clients configured; POP or IMAP!

The missing emails are still on the PC because Outlook down loads them, I know they are missing because they are not visible on the ATT web site or on the IOS app.

So it's the sbcgobal.net email that missing in the webmail and the iOS email.  Not your yahoo.com email. 

Summary:

• Outlook accesses the sbcglobal.net email account that's having the problem
  • iOS mail access the same sbcglobal.net account that outlook is accessing.
  • iOS email also access a yahoo.com account.
  • Your yahoo.com account is not having any problems.

Is this correct?

If it is then my theory that I described in back post 4 still holds.  I think your outlook is configured as POP with the setting to only keep the X most recent day's email (or looking at it another way, delete mail older than Y days --- I don't recall how outlook words the setting).  The stuff is "missing" in the webmail because outlook deleted it from the server because of that option.  It still keeps it's copies of that email in outlook so that's why you see it in outlook.

Your iOS app for that same sbcglobal.net account is configured as IMAP and thus trying to stay in sync with the server (which is always mirrored in the webmail).  So that would be why both it and the webmail don't show the missing stuff that outlook deleted.

Of course this all remains theory until you post how these accounts are configured; POP or IMAP.  I keep asking for this info because that's the basis for this theory and how these email clients behave.  It's also just a theory if I have my summary is wrong too.Man Frustrated

If my summary is wrong please correct it but not without the POP/IMAP information added.  The we can go from there.

• 

1 Message

1 y ago

Same happened to me. I use my inbox for file keeping. All my records are gone. As we all provided separate email accounts for account recovery, Yahoo should, and it would be reasonable and would not have been that much trouble for Yahoo to send alerts before deleting them. Albeit that this is a free service, contents in our inboxes are personal and private property.

Expecting every user to read and understand the retention policy buried in the fine prints is not realistic. Due to unforeseen life circumstances, some of us may not be able to log into our accounts as frequently at times. It is unfortunate that Yahoo won't help us recover them. I am sure that the technology exists. I know that the messages are still somewhere on the Yahoo server.

• 

1 Message

1 y ago

I have a lot of folders.  Much of the content has disappeared.  I don't know when this happened.  However, one folder in which I keep correspondence has nothing before 2020.  This had personal emails in it going back years.

I've tried to contact yahoo (being in Spain, phoning is not an option) but they haven't replied.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.