Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
megaman1977's profile

1 Message

Saturday, September 2nd, 2023 3:54 PM

Internet Air IP address keeps changing

I just got Internet Air and really love the speed for streaming.  
But Hulu Live keeps showing our IP address keeps changing and throwing off our Home location.  
How can we keep this from happening?  
Other streaming services do not seem to be having this issue like Disney plus or Netflix.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.9K Messages

2 months ago

AT&T is not a "cable provider," so you can give that pipe dream up now.  Were AT&T a "cable provider," you're not buying a video service from them, so the point is still moot.  

(edited)

10 Messages

2 months ago

So they own 75%of Direct TV. Att would have to say they are getting out of the “cable “ business. They are selling Att air and Direct Tv as  a package deal. direct TV stream has the same IP policy   I was told that they are phasing out DSL in SF. That would leave no options for SF residents to get local tv. Not giving up on this pipe dream. 

11 Messages

2 months ago

megaman1977

You can't prevent it from happening. InternetAir is delivered to you over the 5G cell network, not a fixed permanent cable. The cell network inherently works by shifting traffic from tower to tower as demand changes, which also can change the IP address. Hulu assumes that your IP address will never change (like cable) and therefore uses what it believes to be a static IP address to determine your physical location which in turn tells them if you're trying to cheat on your subscription by sharing it with folks at a different location. They're pretty much the only ones who do that, although I have heard that YouTube might also do it. Admittedly, AT&T never told you that your IP address would shift around, but a lot of the people in the stores don't know anything about it. They just sell it as a faster upgrade to DSL (which is also a fixed IP address). And let's face it, Hulu works fine on a cell phone whose address changes all the time.

Your only real solution is to call the number that Hulu puts up when you've "used up all your location changes" and complain loudly and tell them to fix it. They CAN (and will) reset your location change count and try to tell you it's not their problem. You can just reply that you know it IS their problem because other providers don't have the issue and as much as you like Hulu, you're considering moving to another provider.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

35.9K Messages

2 months ago

@99jjsf  , you may persist in your fantasies as long as you want; that dog will not hunt.

10 Messages

2 months ago

My fantasy is based on legislation proposed  by several congressional members it’s called 

The coalition for local news act. It’s making its way through committee right now.

I have been told my whole life that I couldn’t do something but

Never the less she persisted

Fin

Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

2 months ago

The coalition is petitioning the FCC and is made up of local broadcasters, per the article 600 of them and is aimed at the streaming services, not Internet carriers. There's no congressional committee it's going through that I can find. Please provide a link. Just searching on The coalition for local news action gives plenty of links. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.