Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
megaman1977's profile

1 Message

Saturday, September 2nd, 2023 3:54 PM

Internet Air IP address keeps changing

I just got Internet Air and really love the speed for streaming.  
But Hulu Live keeps showing our IP address keeps changing and throwing off our Home location.  
How can we keep this from happening?  
Other streaming services do not seem to be having this issue like Disney plus or Netflix.

4 Messages

2 months ago

Either legislation should ban use of  IP addresses for location identity or some sort of privacy protocol be enacted for use by Hulu, PBS, and others who rely on it.

ATT Management is either apathetic or clueless.  One may inform the other.  It is aggravated by the fact that all of ATTInternetAir service is stovepiped outside of all Broadband Internet activities at ATT.

Tutor

• 

477 Messages

2 months ago

> ATT Management is either apathetic or clueless.

AT&T was aware of the issue during the development of Internet Air as they had experienced the same problems with their prior fixed wireless offering. It was a business decision to continue to deal with the IP addresses as they had done in the past for consumer cellular service.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.9K Messages

2 months ago

T-Mobile Home Internet does the exact same thing.  I understand that you can get a public IP from Verizon's offering.

11 Messages

2 months ago

You can't keep it from happening. AT&T might, but the fact that InternetAir is essentially delivered via the cell system (where IP addresses can shift) is going to preclude that. Yes, AT&T knew about the issue, but it's basically not up to them to fix. It's not up to an electric vehicle charging facility to provide gasoline for the vehicles that aren't electric. The streaming services assumed things would never change, although no one said they wouldn't. Hulu could keep it from happening but that would mean they have to come up with a new way to track the physical location of your streaming interface besides IP address. That's going to be expensive and possibly intrusive. However, every time I've called Hulu to get my "move count" reset, they assure me that they're working on the problem. Possibly just having Hulu set your move count to -1 the first time you complain would indicate that your IP address shifts around and to not flag it.

(edited)

4 Messages

2 months ago

"but it's basically not up to them to fix."  
This is not a technical issue but an administrative issue.
The sales and marketing of AT&T Internet Air does not notice or caution on any of these issues.
In fact this service was a substitute for obsolete slow going adsl over copper.

"That's going to be expensive and possibly intrusive". 
Agree, probably a protocol to allow AT&T to pass on one's address for a given service IP/Date.  Hulu and its licensed material may need finally accept customer attestatation.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.9K Messages

2 months ago

The sales and marketing of AT&T Internet Air does not notice or caution on any of these issues.

Much like an electric car salesman is not going to caution you about the availability of charging sites.

10 Messages

2 months ago

Live in San Francisco. We got pushed hard by Att to switch to Air. Internet speeds are great but we signed up for Hulu live tv and IP address changes on a daily basis. Now Hulu won’t change the address. You get 4 times a year and you are done. I guess they got tired of all the calls to reset IP address. Att wanted to sell us Air and directTv streaming in one package. Well… direct tv has the same issue with dynamic IP address Why would Att market something that doesn’t work? I guess Hulu live tv is ok with losing customers. I have called Att Air several times. They have know about this for over 6 months All the major streaming platforms are moving to dynamic IP addresses. I don’t know how the streaming platforms are going to survive if customers can’t use their platform 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.9K Messages

2 months ago

IP Geolocation is a stupid idea that should have never grown legs.  

11 Messages

2 months ago

99jjsf - Call Hulu. They put up a number on the screen when you've maxed out your "move count" at 4. Call it, tell them you're on AT&T's 5G InternetAir and your IP address shifts all the time. They know all about it and will reset your count - back to 4. You'll need to have Hulu up on your TV when you call. You'll also need to know your Hulu password. When they get done, be sure to complain and ask how soon this problem will be fixed because you don't have it on other streaming services. Threaten to leave Hulu. Don't let them tell you it's anyone's problem but theirs. Ultimately, they'll tell you it's being worked on. Repeat every time you get the error message.

10 Messages

2 months ago

Thank you but I have already been down this road. I had a long conversation with a Supervisor at Hulu. He told me that due to the high volume of calls asking to reset account they are no longer doing it. 4 times a year. He said Hulu is prepared to lose customers over this. I think I found a way to hold Att accountable.  Congress passed a bill that cable providers have to provide access to local television. If Att switches everyone in SF to Air they are not following the law.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.