Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
megaman1977's profile

1 Message

Saturday, September 2nd, 2023 3:54 PM

Internet Air IP address keeps changing

I just got Internet Air and really love the speed for streaming.  
But Hulu Live keeps showing our IP address keeps changing and throwing off our Home location.  
How can we keep this from happening?  
Other streaming services do not seem to be having this issue like Disney plus or Netflix.

9 Messages

8 months ago

Hey @dhall111 , good luck. my local store doesn’t know anything about Internet Air, except “it’s new”.

After spending hours on hold with three agents from Internet Air Support team and one from U-verse, it seems the bottom line is, like the title above says, ip address keeps changing. But that’s how Internet Air is designed. AT&T has to know about this flaw and there is no fix. I said okay you say that’s the problem, I’m asking what is the solution? They are still telling me to have Netflix and Prime Video “white list” me. Which I tried with zero success. AT&T seems puzzled by that. I suggested since ATT thinks it’s easy, give me the specific phone numbers and names at those services who will help do this, or I would be happy to hold while the ATT agent called them to see if he could do it. No response to that.

I would suggest not wasting your time troubleshooting with random Internet Air team members. They will start with unplugging everything and plug in again and such, even though I’ve told them their own team members said none of that is the problem. I’ve done everything suggested by AT&T, Netflix, Prime Video and LG. I guess the handful of customers who don’t use streaming services will be happy with this flawed product, but I would recommend sending the egg back before you waste as many hours as I have.

A small rant: This has been the worst product, customer support and service support experience I have ever experienced from any company. But I’m only 72 and I haven’t seen everything yet😄

2 Messages

8 months ago

Hey Hosed, my local store doesn't know anything either - they didn't even know Air was in our area.  

That's what Netflix and Prime were doing for me.  I finally go through to someone on the phone who had half a clue.  He had me power down the "box" by pushing the red button on the back for 15 seconds.  Once it came back up he had me go into the home manager and set up a guest network I also had to re-set up my password on the regular network.  He said the guest network works on a 2.4 system (whatever that means, but I don't need to know, i just need to know it works).  I added my LG TV to that network and it's been working fine!  I hope it sticks.  If you haven't tried it it would be worth a shot

9 Messages

8 months ago

Hey dhall111, sounds like you’ve found a fix. Interesting what happens when you find the right guy. I wonder why the guy with a solution doesn’t pass that info on among his cohorts. Very interesting, but I’ve cancelled Air and no longer have the energy to try their workarounds. 
I hope every thing keeps working for you and congratulations! You are one in thousands of AT&T customers, I think.

Tutor

• 

434 Messages

8 months ago

It is not clear why the 2.4 GHz guest network would fix the problem. Maybe one of the Netflix security checks can't handle some aspect of mesh networking (e.g., thinking you keep switching Wi-Fi networks) and this forces you to a fixed Wi-FI network,

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

8 months ago

I have the same issue with Hulu. I have to give them up as I was so tired of calling everyday. I hope someone responds so I can resolve this issue also.

• 

4 Messages

8 months ago

dhall111 I tried your solution of creating a guest login. I did not have to reboot my modem. But so far, Fubo recognizes my location and I can get my local stations.  It's only been 1 day but I am hopeful this is a positive outcome so far. 

4 Messages

7 months ago

Hulu is charging too much to not work out a seamless solution.  ATT is changing IP addresses, but nothing prevents ATT from creating an API for Hulu (and other streaming services) to poll IP addresses to reconfirm actual locations of users.  If this requires a privacy waiver for that, so be it. But in the meantime it is outrageous for such a simple minded administrative method to waste customer and staff time for these organizations.  FYI this IP issue affects PBS app for local streaming, and other local licensing media.

11 Messages

6 months ago

Hulu is the one with the problem. 5g broadband works like a cellular system - when a cell tower gets overloaded, it offloads some of its lower-priority traffic to another tower and internet is apparently low priority. That tower may or may not take up the load, or it may pass it off again. Whatever tower you ultimately end up on will probably be on a different network with a different IP address. That's how the whole cell system works and it's what's happening with 5G. But Hulu (and apparently a few other streaming services) check your IP address to make sure you're not cheating by lending your subscription and login to your neighbor/girlfriend/family. You get to change it 4 times (IN YOUR LIFETIME ON ALL YOUR TVs!) to accommodate moving, but with AT&T Air (5g cell-based broadband) your IP address can change 4 times in a day! When that happens, Hulu gives you the "Hey! You changed too much! Call us to subscribe!" message. You can still watch basic Hulu but you lose all your extra channels, local channels, ability to record, etc. The solution is to call the number on the Hulu error screen and (Edited per community guidelines) at them. They will fix it. However, before you call, make sure you know your Hulu login and password, your zip code, and your current IP address. (On a browser, not the TV, enter "whatsmyip.com" to get the address.) Tell them your issue, complain about their inability to correct a known problem with the latest 5G tech, and threaten to move to YouTube (or whatever). It will take about 10 minutes for them to get Hulu back to full operability. HOWEVER, the fix is only for that TV/streaming interface and for your whole house it's only good for another 4 times. So, if you call to fix one TV, turn them all on and tune them to Hulu. So far, in the 2 months I've had AT&T Air (which has been awesome compared to DSL otherwise!) I've had to have Hulu reset various TVs (we've got 6) 5 times, and right now I've got 2 showing the error message that I'm ignoring. FWIW, I've had Hulu tell me on every call that they know about the issue and are working on a fix that should be out "any day now". Right - and the check is in the mail.

(edited)

2 Messages

3 months ago

It ruins Netfix as well.  The delay when I use Zoom for meetings is also bad.  I want my former, less crappy service back ATT!  Air is awful!

1 Message

1 month ago

I am having the exact same issue with Hulu and now my employer keeps asking me why I am logged in in LA instead of the San Francisco Bay Area.  I have to go to the office just to prove I am in fact local.  I like the speed of AIR but the changing of IP addresses is killing me.   Also getting  tired of having to call hulu daily to update my account.  

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.