Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
jpugh15's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Saturday, August 8th, 2015 10:21 PM

WRONGFUL COLLECTIONS FOR DSL!!!

Boy, what a mess. I am an extremely frustrated almost 10 year customer of ATT/Cingular Wireless. The story so far...

I wanted to check my credit report and see if there was anything on there that I should be aware of awhile back. I found 3 different collections accounts for ATT - 2 IC Systems and 1 Enhanced Recovery Systems. I found that odd, since I have had wireless for almost 10 years and still have ATT wireless service.  Looking back in my files, I remembered that I had an old DSL plan from 2011.

End of 4/11 - self install of DSL modem picked up from local store, price is $15/month for 12 months.

5/11 - first bill is $0

6/11 - second bill is over $70. Basically 2 months @ $40/month with a small credit. Called in to talk to billing, SUPPOSED to be resolved with next bill. Told them I will pay when next bill comes to make sure changes are applied.

7/11 - got disconnect notice for the over $70 bill. ignored it, thinking that i had just talked with billing and am waiting for a new correct bill.

8/11 - got disconnect notice for over $100. call billing, told story multiple times and long phone call, still incorrect amount. i have no problems paying my bill, but want a bill that is going to show a correct amount before i do.

Early 10/11 - got disco notice for over $150 early in September. called in again, told story multiple times again, even longer phone call and SUPPOSEDLY they will > waive $30 for the restoral fee on the account, credit me $70.15 on the account bringing the balance to about $60 (May - August. what I really owed) and close the old account. They will apply the $60 balance to a NEW ACCOUNT NUMBER (#2) and it will be $15/month going forward. I agreed, as this was what it was supposed to be all along. 

Late 10/11 - had to move, can not take account with me, was generated a NEW ACCOUNT NUMBER (#3).

11/11 - Received a collection notice for ACCOUNT #1 again, even though it was supposed to be closed. Called and got tossed between "Billing" and "Final Accounts" - they kept trying to blame each other and couldn't "see the billing side" or "see the account side". 2 hour phone call. Finally was supposed to be in some "review area" and escalated. Did not ever receive notice on ACCOUNT #1 or ACCOUNT #2 after that. Ended up stopping my service and turning in the modem.

So I realize that I should have kept up on this instead of letting ATT have their way. I want to pay what I owe, but I do not believe that the collections are valid, since now all three sitting in collections are for the wrong amounts. I decided to try to call ATT first and see if we can look at the accounts, agree to what is fair and allow me to pay my debts. 

8/15 - 1/2 hour phone call, bounced to 3 departments. almost all operators thought i meant Uverse, which we have had now for almost 4 years. apparently I have to call back M-F 8-7.

8/15 - start call @ 6 pacific. talk to "Lauren" in San Diego, who was really helpful and gave me lots of info, although she could only "see part of my account". she can see the charges, see the credits ("that's weird, I wonder why it isn't applied to the account?" is what she said lol) but couldn't do anything else. She said that final accounts is the only place that could pull it back from the collection agency and the she would have to - you guessed it - transfer me. "Lauren" in the "final accounts" dept was less helpful. she also could see the credits, but said she couldn't apply them and that what i owe is the same info as the collections agency info, which is incorrect. she also stated she "can't pull back the account, but only report it as "paid in full" with a "zero balance" and that i would have to call the collection agency to remove. she then - transferred me back to billing, where I talked with "David" in Miami. David was a true blue ATT employee with a thick accent making it hard to understand him. he also could see the credits, but refused to acknowledge them, said the bills were correct, and finally hung up on me right at closing time (7 p.m.).

I am extremely frustrated and do not know how to proceed. Like I said, I just want to pay what I owe and have these collections showing incorrect amounts removed from my credit report. I understand I was nieve and didn't take care of it like I should, but that still dosen't mean they could just bulldoze the little guy. Thank You if you read through this novel lol, any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Guru

• 

638 Messages

9 years ago

Companies with way past due accounts often just write them off and then sell them to collection agencies who take on the debt and pester the account holder. Have you tried contacting the collection agencies and settling with them?

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

9 years ago

no, I haven't tried to settle with the collection companies. The collection companies are reporting the wrong balances, which were given to them from AT&T. That's the issue - trying to have AT&T fix their mistakes. If they zeroed out the first and second accounts like they were supposed to, than those would have never gone to collections because there was no balance. They messed up, kept the account open when it should have been closed, then sent it to collections - that is the most frustrating part because I am receiving no help from AT&T - very disappointing.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

not sure they can do any more than already has been, but don't forget, you can send a private message to the ATT social media customer care team, to see if they can do anything more.

Don't have the link handy, but easy enough to find.

Good luck.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

9 years ago

Well, with over 100 views so far it looks like I'm not the only one with this issue. I can see it has happened quite a few times to other customers with little or no resolution. Time to take to the social media circuit lol!!

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

9 years ago

Hello, @jpugh15!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear about these billing issues. As Tigereyze suggested, we would appreciate the opportunity to look into this for you! Please click here to send us a private message with your contact information, the best time to reach you, and a brief summary of the issue. 

You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen. In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns. 

-Mariana

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

9 years ago

Just an update for anybody reading this. I have never signed up for a social account, but after reading the advice from somebody else on this forum I created a Twitter account (I'm sure Facebook would have worked as well) and took to posting to all ATT accounts I could find. I got a few responses within the hour and soon I was on the phone with someone from their Social Media Dept. who actually helped me and got the ball rolling (from ATTCares on Twitter, although I also had responses from ATT Twitter), escalating my case and within one day it was under review and within two days i had a resolution. Fairly paing what I owe for the first 2 accounts, and they said it should be removed from my credit report as well (because there were credit to the balances, now the collection agencies and the "big 3" are showing incorrect amounts). Still need to call again on the third account, it includes a restoral fee that shouldn't be there. Happy this is resolved, not happy that they affected my credit for 4 years with incorrect amounts to a longtime customer with wireless and Uverse and didn't even get an "oops, sorry for that". I'll update when they actually come off my report and the outcome of the third account - stay tuned!!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Well I have had the same problems with billing put phone and Internet on vacation @1 April at our Texas home (which we have done for 8 years) and my bill shows its been disconnected but they continue to bill me,  we don't want a credit  problem and I have called and spoke,to someone each month I get a bill and as of yet no results. Guess it's time to get a lawyer

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

@jpugh15  As a favor to all the other folks who read this post, could you please mark your last message as solution, so others can see how you got your problem solved?

And thank you for sharing your success story with us.

So many will post the "rant" and just never mention that they got resolution.

Seriously, I'm happy for ya, and hope others achieve the same results.

(while it is great, the customer care team exists, and is so helpful, it would sure be nice if the "regular" customer service reps were as good.  Oh well.)

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

9 years ago

OK, so I talked to the person who made the adjustments on my first two accounts again and got half of my reconnect fee waived, which means the balance showing with the collection agency on my credit report is wrong. Again, talked with a nice lady in collections, paid the balance on account #3 and she said that it will be removed from my credit report as well (she said they will notify the collection agency on my credit report as a zero balance now and request it be removed from my report, then have to wait for the bureau to remove it, possibly a month or less). She also mentioned she will be sending out verification letters that it is paid and should be removed. Now we just wait and see if that happens.

I feel better that my debt is finally paid, but I am not happy that it took this much trouble for their mistakes from the start - from signing me up on the wrong plan and billing me the wrong amount, to not closing accounts and letting them accrue when they should have been closed, to their arrogant employees that wouldn't listen to my issues and implied that I was the one at fault (even though I stated multiple times I just want to pay what I OWE, not "pay it and we'll fix it later" or the "we'll give you a credit" lines), to being transferred from department to department and spending hours on the phone (4 years ago and just recently) just to have them remove THEIR mistake that has been affecting my credit score the last 4 years and costing me - lowering my score and causing higher percentage rates - and no compensation at all for a longtime cell and Uverse customer. I'm not exactly "wowed" by their customer care, on the contrary, I don't think ATT cares too much about their customers, which is a shame. 

Well, I will keep y'all posted on the outcome. Like I said, the debts were finally adjusted to what I actually OWED and I paid them, now it remains to be seen if they are actually removed from my credit report as promised. 

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

9 years ago

Also, I will mark this as a "solution" when it is all said and done. Thank you if you took the time to read it all and Good Luck!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.