Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sun, Feb 5, 2017 5:11 PM

Universal Plug and Play (UPnP)

Back to My Mac may be slow because NAT Port Mapping (NAT-PMP) or Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is turned off on your router.  

This is the message I keep getting when trying to back up my cloud? Surely as much as I pay for this service. My NVG599 Att Router supports this? 

Responses

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

16.9K Messages

3 years ago

The AT&T Gateway does not support UPnP or NAT-PMP.  These allow applications inside your network to open holes in your firewall without authentication.  They are terribily insecure protocols and make your network ripe for exploits by malware and nefarious individuals.  However, if you wish to ignore this and run UPnP in your home, then you would need to purchase your own 3rd party router that has UPnP support enabled and connect it between your network and the AT&T Gateway.  Configure the AT&T Gateway to put your router in DMZplus or IP Passthrough (the name of the feature depends on which line of Gateways you have).

See https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/What_are_UPnP_and_NAT-PMP

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

I find it disgusting in this day and age AT&T continues to ignore this significant advancement. This major company is doing a serious diservice to us customers, refusing to provide something even smaller companies are providing. I have to tell you that this entire gaming family seriously regrets coming over here and as soon as we are out of the contract, that I feel tricked into, we will be leaving again to return to cable.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

16.9K Messages

a year ago

@Pegasus63 wrote:

I find it disgusting in this day and age AT&T continues to ignore this significant advancement. This major company is doing a serious diservice to us customers, refusing to provide something even smaller companies are providing. I have to tell you that this entire gaming family seriously regrets coming over here and as soon as we are out of the contract, that I feel tricked into, we will be leaving again to return to cable.

UPnP is not an advancement.  It is a poorly designed security hole looking for a place to happen.   UPnP is designed to allow any one inside your network to open a hole in the firewall without any kind of authentication or restriction.  While this includes your games, it also includes malware.

If you feel that you must have it, then you can purchase your own third-party router, place it behind the gateway and tell the gateway to place it in DMZplus/IP Passthrough, and then you can turn on its UPnP feature.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.