moondawg's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Fri, Jan 23, 2015 10:37 PM

Track My Bandwidth Usage

I found a portal to AT&T that is supposed to let you check your bandwidth usage and I have verified my login and password but when I try to login to it it tells me my information is wrong. In the old days I used a CGI between my system and modem but it wont work with U-verse internet and I miss it's features. Have loooked into building another linux box using Smoothwall but even that is a huge hassle connecting with AT&T router.

Here is the link to the portal I tried to get in at, sounds like tey don't want you to get in. 

ACE - Sage

• 

92.1K Messages

7 y ago

Darknessrise

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

7 y ago

Hi @moondawg !

If you're currently on U-verse internet, you should not worry about your bandwidth usage. Usage on U-verse is currently not enforced. The meter for tracking your usage currently does not even work at the moment.

Tigereyze209

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

7 y ago

@Darknessrise wrote:

Hi @moondawg !

If you're currently on U-verse internet, you should not worry about your bandwidth usage. Usage on U-verse is currently not enforced. The meter for tracking your usage currently does not even work at the moment.

I am curious if you know about metering on dsl internet...   Have not been able to get anything othr than We are sorry, but we are unable to display your Internet usage at this time.Please try again later. (USG_BBUP_300)

I am wondering if that is turned off as well. Not planning a downloading freny or anything, but it is hard to regulate your usage, if you can't actualy see how much you have already used, and adjust usage accordingly.

And while I'm wanting to make sure I don't go over, I don't want to underuse it either.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Darknessrise

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

7 y ago

As far as I know @Tigereyze209 , the DSL cap is currently 150 GB of data(taking into account both download and upload). I haven't heard of anyone else having issues accessing their data usage on AT&T DSL. Have you tried to contact support to try to see what they could do for you? You can contact support by dialing 800-288-2020.

If it still doesn't work:

How many devices do you have on your network? If it's just one main computer, I believe that there are a few programs to monitor your usage. I have never tried them personally though so I cannot comment.

You could also try purchasing a router that lets you monitor your usage. Most Netgear routers support this feature.

This one would probably do the trick since you don't have too much of a speed demand on AT&t DSL.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-RangeMax-WNR1000-Wireless-Router/dp/B001UI4RTG/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1422140852&sr=1-1

If you decide to get it, make sure you do the following -

1) Set your wireless network name and password to the same as you current AT&T gateway for an easier conversion. For example, you should name it ATT8164 or whatever the default on your gateway(if you have one) currently is.

2) Follow the instructions here -

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24225/~/how-do-i-monitor-internet-traffic-on-my-nighthawk-router%3F

3) Set your wireless channel to either channel 1,6, or 11. Don't use any other channel unless you want to have problems.

Tigereyze209

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

7 y ago

I have called AT&T support on more than one occasion, and they were unable to access the data usage either.  I could list the relavvent information from my usaage screen, but it would probably just get edited out, so why bother...

I have only had this service since last september, and have NEVER been able to get anything other than umable to display the information, try again later. I guess six months would be later, but apparently not. 😉

I am trying out a program that runs in the background called Net Meter, to see if it can track my usage. I do realize, I can only use it as aproximate, since AT&T calculates usage differantly, but at least hopefully it will give me some idea of what was used.

I have only one system connected to my modem, and no router. Cat 5 cable from the box to the phone jack, and best filters i could get.

I have nothing that would use wi-fi, so don't really see any need to get a router.

I live with my cat, but don't think her internet usage would be an issue, though she does love cat vidios for some reason.

To be fair, even though I have not been able to see my usage, I have also not had any over limit charges either.

It is more, I get a little paranoid of being unsure of my usage, and don't want to get the over chage flat footed.

Since I don't have a working tv set, I watch shows via my computer. (my finances are very limited, or I'd go with the directv option, but alas, it is what it is.)

I honestly have no complaints at all about my service, it has been excelent.

I also have home phone, and again, no complaints what so ever.

I did have cable, but once it creeped from 125 to over 350 bucks a month, it had to go. (the actual disconect was an interesting story as they don't seem to want to take no for an answer when you say you want to cancel your service. But, they had to shut it off when i said, i'd have to just not pay the bill then, and they'd have to disconnect it anyways.)

Appreciate the feedback. It was informative, but alas, did not actualy adress the question I asked, but seriously, thank you very much for trying.

Good luck, good life, and all that.

Darknessrise

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

7 y ago

@Tigereyze209 

If you were nearing your cap, you would typically receive an email from AT&T saying that you're almost about to hit it as a warning if you're that paranoid.

Tigereyze209

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

7 y ago

That was a quick reply! i am impressed.

I tried to flag it as an accepted soulutin, but it is not listed. sorry, but I did try.

You are right, and I totaly forgot about the warnings they are supposed to give at 65 % and 90 percent usage warning.

Good memory.  Appreciated, and thanks.

Hmm.. just occoured to me.. it might be, only the origional topic poster and click the solution accepted button.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 y ago

Hello Tigereyze,

If you are still having problems accessing your DSL usage try this:

Login to your MyAT&T account

Click on Billing, Usage, and Payments (under the MyAt&T tab)

Click on Usage (under Total Amount Due)

Change the drop down menu for [Showing] to Recent Usage

Change the drop down menu for [View usage for] to DSL internet

That should give you a breakdown of your DSL usage and the total usage.

Tigereyze209

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

7 y ago

@faestrada wrote:

Hello Tigereyze,

If you are still having problems accessing your DSL usage try this:

Okay.. appreciate the feedback, just thought i'd update some details for you:

One, the post you replied to, was posted back in January. At that time, the data usage funtion was just inoperable. In short, broke, and just did not work.

Two: at that time, the steps to access the data usage was differant than what it is presantly, so was not lack of knowledge how to get it, meerly, it did not work, period.

Three: only in the last month has the data reporting function been re-enabled.. however, it still has problems due to not being able to distinguish activity in one billing cycle to another.. put another way, it works by tracking the whole month rather than the billing cycle, resulting in the start of your new billing cycle already having the entire amount of data used from the total previous billing cycle, potentially resulting in folks' data usage running over erroniously.

They DO seem to be working on it, but folks who were close to their cap, could have a nightmare trying to convince someone it's not their fault they ran over the data cap.

Personally, I also use a data usage monitoing program so I can keep track of my actual data usage. (If anyone cares, NetMeter by HOOtech)

ATT computes data usage by other rules, details not available for general knowledge,and the posting of the data is about four days behind, so what it shows could be off.

SO, thank you sir, appreciate the efforts, and hope you will keep up your helpful advice. Just this once, it's based on information a bit dated, but your heart was definatly in the right place.

good life, and keep posting!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 y ago

Hi Tigereyze,

Thanks for the reply. Just some clarifications to your response:

One: I was aware of the date of your post. I. myself, could not access the original data usage function and after receiving less than stellar assistance from ATT I thought I would help out anyone else who wanted to track their usage.

Two: True, the original way to access your data usage was either broken or had been changed by ATT (without notifying their customers!) so...see above.

Three: I agree, the "new" way of accessing your data usage does have problems. Though I don't know if "they are working on it". Let's hope so.

On a side note, I did Tech Support for 9 years for a software company so I am sensitive to how customer service is and should be performed. I will continue to post when and where I can be helpful.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.