For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
jondowe's profile

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

Tuesday, December 17th, 2019 1:58 PM

Throttled downoads and remaining bandwidth shut down when downloading, Is it legal?

This is on behalf of my sister where I am staying at the moment, who is elderly/wheelchair bound, and doesn't understand these things, and I think AT&T is taking advantage of her, but I need to be sure.

It appears AT&T is illegally throttling her internet and basically giving her around a meg out of the contracted 6.

A speed test reveals 6 megs as it should, but whenever I download anything, not only is it always capped at about 3/4 of a meg per second, but as the download is taking place, I am unable to effectively use the internet at all due to having the remaining 5 megs completely taken away, leaving me with not even enough to surf the net, much less watch movies or download something else. Speedtest does reveal the speed is down to 20% of 1 meg while a download is taking place, and nothing else is using the bandwidth...pretty much useless

Before I get with the FCC (the only thing that ever gets things fixed when AT&T gets out of hand) I need to be sure this is illegal, as in, is it listed in their contract they can cap all downloads at less then a meg, and shut down her renaming bandwidth as long as the download takes place? And if so, could someone please point that out?

There is nothing wrong with equipment or wiring in home, as I have already run a test wire to the incoming junction box, and test reveals it is coming from AT&T's end.

Thanks for any help on if this is illegal or not, and if anyone else has/is having this problem.

PS, there is no entry for "Interned Problems" or anything even close when I go to "Select topic", so can someone please direct me to where that topic is discussed so I can get this in the proper place?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

Nothing in your post proves ATT is capping or throttling. If you get the promised 6 megs when doing a speed test, it is likely some other issue causing slow downloads. The problem could be with whatever download site you use or anywhere along the path to that site. The 6 meg speed you get is not a promise that you will get that from every possible source on the internet.

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

4 years ago

Nothing in your post proves ATT is capping or throttling. If you get the promised 6 megs when doing a speed test, it is likely some other issue causing slow downloads.

I'm not getting the 6 megs when running the 3/4 meg downloads AT&T is allowing me. As I mentioned, when I test it while downloading, it shows my reaming bandwidth just disappeared. You may want to reread my post...it really isn't that complicated, and that may help..

Why likely? And what exactly are these "other issues" so I can take care of them?

Surely you are aware that AT&T could easily be capping the downloads, and nothing you say there is the least bit convincing they are not. All they need do is detect a download, then throttle it. How do I know they are very very likely doing just that? Because I'm well aware of the different speeds the sites allow for downloads, and they are now all strangely right at the same of 3/4 meg unless the site cuts the bandwidth to less than 3/4 megs. When before the ones over 3/4 meg varied greatly. So between that and AT&T's past record, definitely proof enough for me. But the only thing that matters, is it proof enough for the FCC, and have they run into this issue before?

Tell me, do you think it's a coincidence that suddenly every download site that allows 3/4 megs or more, now allows me the the same bandwidth? Nothing over 3/4 a mg?

The problem could be with whatever download site you use or anywhere along the path to that site.

Are you saying all download sites are giving me the same 3/4 meg bandwidth, then snatching up the rest of my bandwidth until the download is done? (maybe you didn't read the OP carefully?) May I ask where you are getting your information from? And what are you claiming is happening "along the path", when I have never had the "path" mess with my bandwidth before?

The 6 meg speed you get is not a promise that you will get that from every possible source on the internet.

Get that from every possible source? I get my 6 megs from AT&T, and download sites allow what they allow for download speed. It's common knowledge. If I'm missing something, can you please be clearer on what you mean there, it could be helpful? Why would you think I would expect every site to allow 6 megs of bandwidth to begin with? I mean where did I indicate that?

6 megs should always be available here, why? because 6 megs is what is paid for.  The sites allow what they do for downloads, and you seem to be saying the other 5 megs are just going away every time I do a download, so what do you think is happening to it?

Thank you for the thoughtful reply and the more of the questions in this post I can get answers to the better. Also I assume you missed the question of where is there a place on the community forums that deal with internet problems where this may get more views/replies, as I could find none?

I'll also  assume you know of nothing in the TOS that makes this legal.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

@jondowe wrote:

Nothing in your post proves ATT is capping or throttling. If you get the promised 6 megs when doing a speed test, it is likely some other issue causing slow downloads.

I'm not getting the 6 megs when running the 3/4 meg downloads AT&T is allowing me. As I mentioned, when I test it while downloading, it shows my reaming bandwidth just disappeared. You may want to reread my post...it really isn't that complicated, and that may help..

I understood your post fine but your conclusion that ATT is throttling your speed or that your remaining bandwidth is disappearing is just not the way it works. There is simply no reason for ATT to throttle you. Whatever is causing your issue is some sort of technical issue, not ATT deliberately throttling you. 

Why likely? And what exactly are these "other issues" so I can take care of them?

How exactly are you downloading? What kind of device? What kind of software? It could be that device and/or software that is setting the download speed.

Surely you are aware that AT&T could easily be capping the downloads, and nothing you say there is the least bit convincing they are not. All they need do is detect a download, then throttle it. How do I know they are very very likely doing just that? Because I'm well aware of the different speeds the sites allow for downloads, and they are now all strangely right at the same of 3/4 meg unless the site cuts the bandwidth to less than 3/4 megs. When before the ones over 3/4 meg varied greatly. So between that and AT&T's past record, definitely proof enough for me. But the only thing that matters, is it proof enough for the FCC, and have they run into this issue before?

Sure they could but there is simply no reason for ATT to throttle you on wired home internet service, especially with 6 meg service. That is one of the lowest tiers available. All of ATT’s past “throttling” issues were on the wireless network, not the wired network.

Tell me, do you think it's a coincidence that suddenly every download site that allows 3/4 megs or more, now allows me the the same bandwidth? Nothing over 3/4 a mg?

Hence why I would suspect a device or software issue. 

The problem could be with whatever download site you use or anywhere along the path to that site.

Are you saying all download sites are giving me the same 3/4 meg bandwidth, then snatching up the rest of my bandwidth until the download is done? (maybe you didn't read the OP carefully?) May I ask where you are getting your information from? And what are you claiming is happening "along the path", when I have never had the "path" mess with my bandwidth before?

The 6 meg speed you get is not a promise that you will get that from every possible source on the internet.

Get that from every possible source? I get my 6 megs from AT&T, and download sites allow what they allow for download speed. It's common knowledge. If I'm missing something, can you please be clearer on what you mean there, it could be helpful? Why would you think I would expect every site to allow 6 megs of bandwidth to begin with? I mean where did I indicate that?

6 megs should always be available here, why? because 6 megs is what is paid for.  The sites allow what they do for downloads, and you seem to be saying the other 5 megs are just going away every time I do a download, so what do you think is happening to it?

Nope, doesn’t work that way. The 6 megs you get from ATT is only between you and ATT’s internet backbone. I’m not saying the other 5 megs are going away, you are. I’m saying it doesn’t work that way but if your 3/4 meg download seems to be using the entire 6 meg bandwidth, once again I’d suspect a device or software issue.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply and the more of the questions in this post I can get answers to the better. Also I assume you missed the question of where is there a place on the community forums that deal with internet problems where this may get more views/replies, as I could find none?

I'll also  assume you know of nothing in the TOS that makes this legal.

I seriously don’t think you are being purposely throttled by ATT. You’ve got some other technical issue.

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

I searched this site and it appears whenever throttling is brought up by a customer it's always the same, it's denied by the people here representing AT&T and blamed on something else. So between that, and the fact it's not only splattered all over the internet, but suits for millions of dollors for such have prevaled, hope you'll forgive me for not believing you. I mean no offense but it's simple common sense. That is unless you would like to tell me all that I've mentioned is wrong and it's still a problem other than something AT&T is causing? If so, to be fair, I'm listening.

​Anyway, Just tried a VPN and things went back to normal, plus I'd already done what I've had to do seveal times in the past and ran a direct line to my modem from the incoming junction, so I could rule out wiring problems. Nothing wrong here...definitely an AT&T...well...let's just be nice and call it an AT&T thing... hey, it's Christmas. :)

​So before I upload videos of the mentioned evidence that I can link the FCC to as well as show AT&T so I can help them narrow things down, this is one last attempt to get AT&T to fix it from here. I'll give it a couple of days, plenty of time to turn the full service back on before I move on to what I already know will work but is a bit more trouble. With any luck AT&T will agree this is the simplest way for both of us, but either way is fine.

I won't be calling AT&T either, so please don't tell me to. I never do call them, I just add to the FCC complaint that they will have to email me and explain that's because AT&T tends not to be truthful on the phone, and it's just best all around to have it all in writing so they can read it, and so I have a copy to snail mail to the FTC too, as I'm told I should. They email me every time, and my service is suddely fixed everytime at no cost to me because there never is a problem other than AT&T flipping a switch..

​AT&T either has or can get all the info they need to fix this, so this is the last you'll hear back from me here. One thing I have learned is not to go back and forth with them either here or in a dispute through the FCC for a week or even more. Just file the dispute, tell AT&T the problem, give them the evidence if you have it (that's not a must) then tell them what has to happen, as in fix it, and don't tell the FCC it's settled until they give you your full service back. A couple emails does the job. Thanks, and if nothing else, I hope this helps someone....the reason it is so detailed.

Merry Christmas!

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

@jondowe I did not deny anything. I simply stated that nothing you posted proves ATT is purposely throttling you. Maybe they are but personally, I don’t believe they have any reason to do that. I believe there is some other technical explanation for your download speed issue. I hope you get the issue addressed, whatever it is. If you believe filing an FCC complaint will get results, then go for it. I am another customer, I do not represent ATT and this is a customer to customer forum, not customer support. It is unlikely anyone from ATT has even seen your posts, so it is very unlikely anyone from ATT is going to take any action. I believe you have some sort of technical issue that requires a technician. That is just my opinion based on 40 years experience in comuters and communications and networks, but you just go ahead and believe whatever you want. My opinion is simply that, my opinion.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.