stormwm's profile

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

Tuesday, April 18th, 2017 9:37 PM

Still billing after cancelled service & router returned, keep getting statement, email, late fee

I am ATT customer for over 20 years and still using wireless service. I had cancelled my U-Verse internet service on March 1, 2017 and returned the router (was told to return within 10 days after cancelling service).  AT&T is still billing me.  I called 3 times (almost every 2-3 weeks) to check on the cancellation status, but I was told the account is still active.  They were not able to cancel my service. I keep receiving statement and email asking me to paid for the next month. Why do I have to pay for the service I was not using. I asked ATT representatives and were told not to pay the next statement.  It's been a month and a half now.  I was charged with late fee and my credit was ruined with lower credit score.  No one from ATT can tell me when they can cancel my service. This is no difference than United Airline. This is not how a corporation treats their customers.   

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

7 years ago

@stormwm, I just replied to your other post.  Please see.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

7 years ago

Just an update on my issue.

I was asked to send a private message to ATTUverseCare yesterday with my account and contact information.  I did.

I received a reply today and was referred to account/billing team. Then received a message and asked to send my issue and contact information via private message to ATTCustomerCare.  I did.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

7 years ago

Just an update on my issue.

4/18 Sent a private message to ATTUverseCare

4/19 My case was referred to account/billing team. Sent private message to ATTCustomerCare

4/20 No response from ATT

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

7 years ago

Re: If I cancel my internet service before statement end

If your account was not already terminated when you went to The UPS Store to return your device, then your account is "messed up."  Isn't that why you came here and posted in the first place?  Your account is not closed?  "Not messed up" would be closed, effective the date you talked with rep to cancel, prior to you returning the equipment and no subsequent charges on it.

These are my questions:

1. Where did AT&T posted these procedures?

2. In what way would a corporation set up their system to mess up customer account if equipment is returned  before the service is cancelled?

3. I returned the equipment 7 days (I was told to return it within 10 days) after I requested to cancel the service.  How many days do you need to cancel the service?  Another year?

4. I was told to return the equipment within 10 days for more than once and never mentioned I should wait until the service is cancelled.  Why didn't the representatives mentioned this VERY IMPORTANT information because this is soooo important that the customer account will be messed up?

5. If I didn't return the equipment, ATT will keep charging me for service months after months.  Since I didn't return the equipment, you just assume I am still using the service. Does that mean no matter what I did (return or not return the equipment), ATT will still charge me and I will never be able to cancel the service?  For those who didn't join, please be aware!

P.S. I just received another statement from AT&T charging service for another month including late fee from last month!!!

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

7 years ago

Look, your whole issue is that either (a) the CSR misled you or (b) you misunderstood the CSR into thinking you should return the equipment before AT&T terminated the account.  Since this has happened, the way to fix it is to communicate, via Private Message, with @ATTU-verseCare and/or @ATTHelpForums and ask them to disconnect your account effective the date you shipped your equipment, removing any charges from that date forward and removing any late charges that have accrued on those charges.  I think they can do that for you.

You will be billed until your service is cancelled.  Returning your equipment does not automatically cancel your service.  You should have been cancelled on that initial phone call.  AT&T's support site and their pages direct you to contact AT&T to cancel prior to returning your equipment.  There are dozens and dozens of messages on these forums telling people to contact AT&T to cancel before returning to equipment.  The truth is out there.

You can keep posting replies and messages on these forums, if you want, but if you've lost contact with support (as it seems you have), then send them a follow up PM.  I'm going to ping @ATTDmitriyCM to check in to this for you.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

7 years ago

JefferMC,

If you did read what I posted above, you should know I did called ATT Uverse (1-800-288-2020) to cancel first.  If the cancellation should be done on that initial call, then when I return the equipment 7 days later, it should not be a problem.  According to what you mentioned, this is not my fault at all.  Thanks for pointing that out.

When you asked to send private message to ATTUverseCare, I also did and I also posted in one of the replies above.  It will be great if you can spend some time reading the replies above.  THANK YOU.

Just in case you're still not clear, let me post it again in points format.

1. March 1, 2017, called ATT Uverse 1-800-288-2020 requested for cancellation of Internet service. I was told to return the equipment within 10 days.
  2. March 7, 2017, returned equipment at UPS Store.
  3. 2 weeks later called ATT Uverse 1-800-288-2020 and was told the account is still active.  They were not able to cancel my service/account at that time with a system error but will get this done and send me the refund.
  4. After 1 day, a representative called and left a voice message mentioning a problem on the account but will have this fixed ASAP and send my refund back dated back to March 1.
  5. Received ATT statement charging for March 16-April 15. Called ATT Unverse 1-800-288-2020 and was told the account is still active. I was told not to pay the bill. The issue will be resolved soon and will send me the refund dated back to March 1.
  6. April 18, posted here and was asked to contact via private message to ATTUverseCare.  I did.
  7. April 19, according to ATTUverseCare, my case was referred to account/billing team. I was asked to send private message to ATTCustomerCare. I did.
  8. April 20, received another statement asking to pay 2 months service fee plus late fee.
  9. April 26, still no response from ATTCustomerCare.

Thanks again

StormWM

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

7 years ago

You're singing to the choir.  I wasn't listening in on your conversation, but it sounds like the CSR should have disconnected you (starting that 10 day timer) and didn't.  However, repeating this ad nauseum is, well, um...

Did you follow up on your PM?  Have you heard from @ATTDmitriyCM (he may not be working today)?  I'm also going to ping @ms_unicorn in case she's available to take a look.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for finally understanding what's going on. 

I did sent private message to ATTUverseCare and ATTCustomerCare (as mentioned many times here) but no response.

The two names you mentioned also didn't contact me yet.

I re-listening to the saved voice message left by the ATT representative on April 1, he mentioned there is a glitch on the account and it should be fixed in several days. It seems no one works on it after that day.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

7 years ago

Hello @stormwm

I looked up your case and it looks like the message you sent to ATTCustomerCare didn't get to the original team (they're different teams) and so they're still waiting. I'm going to manually add it to the case and ask them to reach out as soon as possible. You can also send a private message to ATTU-verseCare with your contact information and the best time to call, just in case.

I'm sorry for the delay and the inconvenience it's causing.

Dmitriy

@JefferMC Thank you for letting us know!

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks, Dmitriy.  As I mentioned above, I submitted PM to ATTU-verseCare on April 18.  On April 19, I was told my case was referred to account/billing. ATTU-verseCare asked me to sent private message to ATTCustomerCare instead. I will submit PM to ATTU-verseCare again. Hope this time is a charm! (finger crossing!!!) 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.