H

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, June 16th, 2021 7:33 PM

Outlook can't login to my sbcglobal.net account

On 6/8/21 Outlook on my PC stop updating email.  The error said login was rejected.  I get a window on my screen from outlook telling me to enter the email password which I did, nothing changed. As I investigated I found out I had Outlook 10 which Microsoft stopped supporting last year.  So I upgraded to Microsoft 365 with latest Outlook Release it loaded fine but I have the same problem, it fails login.  I have verified my settings with at&t website, I am using POP3.  I have changed my password 3times, removed all Unicode Characters.  I can go to the AT&T Currently website and login just fine.  My iphone can login and retrieve email just fine.

I was told by AT&T support 2 years ago I didn't need to create a secure email key and again in the last few days when I talked with AT&T support

I didn't do anything to my PC on 6/8/21 that would have changed anything.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

Email protocol

Inbound server

Inbound port

SSL

Outbound server

Outbound port

POP3

inbound.att.net

Yes

outbound.att.net

Make sure your Outlook settings are as above. Also it might be worth a shot creating secure mail key (takes 5min) and using that instead of your regular password.

How to create SMK (Secure Mail Key)
https://www.att.com/support/article/email-support/KM1240308/

ACE - Expert

• 

34.3K Messages

3 years ago

I think AtomicPotato's reference to the Secure Mail Key is your ticket.  Create the key and use it in place of your password when setting up Outlook.

AT&T changed their official policy to require the Secure Mail Key from clients that didn't support oAuth several years ago.  Apparently they've decided to commence enforcement of this sporadically over a period of many years for maximum confusion and angst.

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Secure Mail Key fixed the problem,

Thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.