moon1988's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tue, Sep 3, 2019 11:23 PM

New Internet Contract after Moving? Cancelling requires paying early termination fee?

Have been an AT&T wireless customer for several year. I had AT&T fiber (100Mbps, $40/month) in my old address for more than 12 mo and already fullfilled the 1-year contract.  Recently in Aug 10 2019 I moved to a place, but at the installation the technician had to downgrade the service to 10Mbps because of availability and he didn't know when I asked if the price will change. When the bill comes out, I was still charged for $40/mo with the 10Mbps service. 10Mbps is super slow, even for streaming the video. I called but the rep said 10Mbps is the fastest I can get and I am still paying $40 per month. So I called again to cancel the service. Now the agent said the contract is renewed when I moved. I am stuck in a new 12-month commitment and is charged with $180 early termination fee. That's rediculous!

1. I didn't see any contract renew during moving.

2. I wasn't agreed on 10Mbps when placing the moving order. The techinician told me he had to during the installation, and he admitted that 10Mbps is very slow and told me I can call AT&T rep to cancel the service.

3. I am cancelling within 30 days and am very unsatisfied with the new internet service (both speed and price: $40/mo for 10Mpbs, who would be satisfied with that). And AT&T still charges me a cancellation fee!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 y ago

Thanks for your answer. 

Can you point out to me the link where it says "In allowing the install to proceed during move, you entered into new contract... new install, new 12 months with $180 ETF." I tried to check all my emails but found nothing.

Also I think it is the AT&T's issue that it only supports 10Mbps at my new residence, which is not what I agreed when making the moving order. The technician downgraded when he installed it. Am I still stuck in the so-called new contract, and can't cancel within 30 days? 

Thanks.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 y ago

Thanks again for pointing out the agreements.  Appreciate it!

I am confused now, is moving counted as a new service or a transfer of service? The words still do not say I am in new contract after I move? It just says about the price under the applicable plans, which is my initial term. I have fulfilled that term with no problem. 

For the first point. Looks like it is my fault that I don't get what I ordered? Can't believe this is how AT&T doing business with customer.

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 y ago

@my thoughts 

Are you quoting that 30-day Money Back Guarantee paragraph from somewhere?  I ask because read this post from ATTCares in a July thread where a user got tripped up on the "30-day policy".  It's now apparently 15 days!

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.