For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
R

• 

8 Messages

Saturday, April 17th, 2021 11:18 PM

Need to Disconnect BAN account

I cancelled service with Sonic on 4/7/21 but there is still an active internet line to that address, and the next tenant cannot set up internet. After speaking with agents on the phone, I was given an account number, BAN #, to give to an AT&T agent to disconnect. Since the business center is closed, I called AT&T again and was told I can disconnect this account online through att.com/disconnectdesk and enter the BAN. That site does not work and now I'm here to find a resolution. This account needs to be removed per request of my apartmenet management, please. 

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

3 years ago

As a generally statement... cancelling an account is not active until completion of the billing cycle...

You cannot cancel service in the middle of the cycle.

Once Sonic notifies ATT of no longer in use, then the address can be released for new orders. This is on Sonic to cancel your service at that address.

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

So you are directing me back to the people I initially called instead of asking for more information? It was Sonic that gave me the BAN # to bring to ATT to disconnect. 

I did speak to a Sonic agent and he said it was Att that needed to cancel the account with because they have an "enterprise". Then I spoke to ATT and they said it was a Business Account with ATT. So which is it? Are you able to look into that? 

I had a huge issue with Sonic not coming out for the transfer of services TWICE, so I cancelled the transfer and the service in April, and got Att at my new address. 

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

3 years ago

No one can cancel the account except the account holder. Not you   The apartment management must submit paperwork to AT&T proving the account holder has vacated the address 

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

I am the account holder, I got them installed and it was cancelled by me. Are you saying I need to submit paperwork to ATT to prove that I have vacated? I moved March 28th, Sonic has that info and they have my cancellation info. 

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

I was told the internet is active for 30 days after a cancellation. Is there a way to completely disconnect this [EDITED] before May 7th, at my former residence so the tenant can install internet???

[EDITED per Community Guidelines -removed personal information]

(edited)

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

3 years ago

SONIC is a reseller of the ATT internet, they are a business, thus the service at old address would be business account. Enterprise is the name of reselling the service, creating, repairs, and cancelling are performed by Sonic. They have control of the address until they cancel. 

As stated ATT only cancels accounts at the end of the billing cycle, which is the cycle with SONIC. 

ATT only allows one account per address, if a CLEC has control of the address, ATT as the ILEC cannot offer service. 

If a different tenant has moved into the old address and desires service they may get service faster by ordering from Sonic who has control of the address until released. Or they could order from local cable company until ATT service is available. 

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

OK would the business center be able to disconnect over the phone when they are open? And it is not possible for me to disconnect this online through "att.com/disconnectdesk" like I was told?

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

3 years ago

You are not the account holder, SONIC is ... you are a subaccount.

You have a BAN number, you pay Sonic for the service for pays a discounted amount to ATT and keeps the difference.

As your not SONIC you cannot cancel directly with ATT, must work thru SONIC.

IF a tenant has vacated an address with no disconnect notice, ATT would require the landlord, property management team, to provide proof of vacating the address before service could be issued to a different party. This is for normal ATT customer with ATT account.

In this case, the person that vacated the address is not the same as the account holder. SONIC is the account holder who deals with payment and cancelling service for the address. 

EDIT...

Sonic is not the only reseller (ENTERPRISE) of ATT Internet... DSL Extreme, EarthLink and Milwaukee PC are (3) other resellers that I am aware of and I suspect there are other CLECs in ATT 21 state market. 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

32.1K Messages

3 years ago

@rjhbobyn 

This is a public forum of other customers, and the occasional employee on their personal time (off-the-clock). As such do NOT post personal information (name, contact info, account number, etc.) as this is against the forum rules for your privacy and protection.

Unfortunately based on your situation you have to wait. As of a couple years ago, AT&T no longer cancels customer responsibility mid-cycle. So the account remains active through the end of the service month, regardless if using it or not, even if you have moved out. After that cycle with SONIC completes, it should report up that it is fully canceled freeing it up for someone else to get service at that location.

Not a fan of the new no-proration of the service/billing cycle in reference to actually moving from the location. But this is the reality on how it works.

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

OK thank you for explaining that. 

I set up a transfer of services before I vacated over the phone for service to end on March 28th, is that the same as a disconnection notice?

I will inform my apartment management of next steps. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.