Supersonic 25!
#1 Star!

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

Tue, Dec 20, 2016 4:07 AM

Closed

IPTV Streaming issues on ATT

My parents just switched from Comcast to ATT. For the most part the internet seems fine and the speeds are good.

Only problem is that they subscribe to some IPTV service which started having issues as soon as they switched. All videos on this service keep stopping and buffering. There were no issues at all when using Comcast. They are using a Roku box connected directly to the router via ethernet.

The IPTV provider checked the issue and says it's a problem with the ATT network. Not necessarily the internet at the house but the routing of the signal. They say that ATT is sending the signal through too many hops and there is high packet loss on ATT end. They had me run a test (results below). 

Is there anything that ATT can do??

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                         router.asus.com -   15 |  745 |  639 |    0 |    0 |   15 |    0 |
| 162-207-132-2.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net -   51 |  241 |  119 |   19 |   23 |  144 |   21 |
|                           71.144.129.22 -   72 |  175 |   50 |    0 |   22 |   27 |   23 |
|                            12.83.86.153 -    0 | 2940 | 2940 |   20 |   24 |   38 |   30 |
|                   ggr3.dlstx.ip.att.net -    0 | 2940 | 2940 |   26 |   30 |   51 |   33 |
|                          192.205.36.222 -    0 | 2940 | 2940 |   26 |   29 |   49 |   27 |
|   be2763.ccr21.dfw01.atlas.cogentco.com -    0 | 2941 | 2941 |   27 |   29 |   54 |   29 |
|   be2441.ccr41.iah01.atlas.cogentco.com -    0 | 2942 | 2942 |   31 |   34 |   67 |   36 |
|   be2687.ccr41.atl01.atlas.cogentco.com -    0 | 2941 | 2941 |   53 |   56 |   72 |   56 |
|   be2112.ccr41.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com -    0 | 2941 | 2941 |   63 |   66 |   83 |   65 |
|   be2806.ccr41.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com -    0 | 2940 | 2940 |   63 |   66 |   83 |   68 |
|   be2056.ccr21.jfk10.atlas.cogentco.com -    0 | 2941 | 2941 |   64 |   66 |   84 |   66 |
|                           38.140.107.34 -    0 | 2938 | 2938 |   63 |   66 |   83 |   68 |
|     46.86.238.178.connectionnetworks.net -    0 | 2942 | 2942 |   64 |   67 |   91 |   66 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider
Darknessrise

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

5 y ago

@srudenko

Based on your tracert, there is no high packet loss on AT&T's end. They were lying to you, or just didn't know how to read the tracert.

Who exactly is the IPTV provider in question?

What speed do they subscribe to?

Have they tried a lower bandwidth TV streaming setting to see if that helps?

srudenko

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

5 y ago

How can you tell there is no high packet loss on ATT side. The % column in
the result is % Loss. This test wasn't performed using tracert from command
line but with WinMTR utility.

They subscibe to 45 Mbps service and the speed is fine.

TV provider support already set quality to Standard instead of HD and tried
every territory available.

At this point I kind of believe them. Its some sort of routing or signal
issue between them and ATT only. It worked perfectly on Comcast. Then I
also enabled the wifi hotspot on my 4G phone and connected Roku to that and
right away the issue goes away. How do you explain that.
Darknessrise

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

5 y ago

@srudenko

The loss that you are seeing is just IGMP(your WinMTR) traffic being de-priortized, which isn't an issue. Most of the first 2 hops on most U-verse setups are set to de-priortize that traffic when the devices on AT&T's network have actual traffic that it needs to respond to. It would be an issue if the loss continued past your first two hops after the Asus. What matters is what your final latency/loss is, which has 0% packet loss. It's a standard practice for a number of companies to de-priortize or just completely not respond to those kinds of traffic, but it has no effect on any traffic(video watching, etc.). In other words, if you were having actual packet loss at those points, the packet loss percentage would be equal or greater on the following hop. With 72% packet loss, you wouldn't even be online at that point.

I'm not exactly sure what the problem may actually be. You never actually said who the TV provider is, Sling TV? Playstation Vue? One of them?

Have you tried other apps on the Roku to see if they experience the same problem?

I guess it's always possible that the company the provider(say Sling TV) uses for peering between them and AT&T has congested links. But, I can't give you an answer for certain for that, since I would really just not know.

srudenko

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

5 y ago

I have AmazonTV and Netflix - tried those without any issues.

The service that has the issue is some paid Russian TV provider...

They had it for over 4 years now and the problem only occured when they switched to ATT last week.

Now here is something...the TV service provider had this on their website. Mind you that it has been there for sometime and they say that there should not be an issue on their end but still...As per Google Translate 🙂

Attention subscribers Internet service AT & T: the peak hours you may experience hangs in television broadcasting, it is associated with impaired docking of our main provider sites with AT & T. We introduce additional capacity to circumvent this problem, but the process may take up to 2 weeks. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience and understanding.

Darknessrise

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

5 y ago

@srudenko

Ah, didn't know we were talking overseas video streaming. Yeah, it's really spotty when it comes to getting good data transport to overseas providers. You'll find that based on a number of things(routing, peering, capacity, etc.) that when it comes to overseas, it can really vary by provider. It's probably a capacity issue with the peerling link the Russian company is using.

I guess you guys could always wait it out and see if they get that taken care of. It may be that the TV provider needs to buy more capacity. If you're not willing to wait, I guess there's really not much you guys can do.

srudenko

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

5 y ago

The provider is located in Canada and has servers all over the world. For US they let you choose Western, Central, or Eastern territory.

How does this capacity deal work exactly? I am not an expert so just wondering. Why is there a capacity issue with ATT only?

Darknessrise

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

5 y ago

@srudenko

I can't give you a specific answer, but hopefully this helps and some of the details may be fuzzy, because well, I don't know the full extent. Basically, between the ISP(AT&T) and their TV provider, there are companies that handle the transit of traffic between the two, peering . AT&T themselves do that in some cases, but not for everything. AT&T peers with multiple transit companies and the company that needs to be used to get from AT&T to the provider in question may be different based on a few factors. I don't believe it's a capacity issue on AT&T's side of things for something like that, it may be more of an issue that the TV provider needs to pay for more bandwidth on their side of things, for the connections that AT&T uses to get to them. Since they themselves said "we introduced additional capacity", it does sound like they had to purchase more capacity. I can't give you the whole highly accurate and detailed respond though, because I simply don't know all of it, but I hope it helped in some way.

Have you actually tried the different servers? Western, central, eastern? Did it make a difference?

srudenko

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

5 y ago

Issue resolved...sort of.
Cancelled ATT Uverse 45 Mbps Internet and went back to Comcast which is 100
Mbps (speed test shows ~120) and actually costs less than ATT was charging.

IPTV service works flawlessly now.

Sucks that ATT internet didn't work out.
They kept DirecTV though...

Hopefully ATT Fiber will make it to this area soon to try that. Also
hopefully the pricing will be competitive. Seems like ATT is charging more
vs Comcast for much slower speeds.
Darknessrise

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

5 y ago

@srudenko

Well, glad to hear that your family's streaming service is working once again. Hopefully the issue between them and AT&T is resolved in the future. I assume your parent's are on a Comcast promotion? If so, it's possible that you may end up on AT&T again once the promo pricing ends, and if Comcast isn't willing to budge.

As for the comment about fiber, I think we all wish our providers would run fiber, haha 😄 .

Just make sure your parents watch their data cap on Comcast, since that's subject to 1 TB(except for some certain promotions). Might want to make them watch their usage to ensure they don't go over. Not really sure how much they watch that streaming service, but just something to keep in mind.

Good luck :).

• 

5 Messages

1 y ago

I got the same problem after ATT changed their new modem to Nokia. Somebody fixed this issue?

ACE - Expert

• 

21.4K Messages

1 y ago

This thread is 4 years old.  Please start a new thread. Closed.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.