Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
ericksonpaul's profile

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, July 16th, 2023 2:01 PM

incoming messages being hard bounced

An ATT.net user is one of 1,000 recipients of a community newsletter blast that I send via MailChimp.  Her's are being rejected creating hard bounces which then leads to her address being removed from the recipient list by Mail Chimp.  This is very rare.  Almost all are being successfully received.  I assume some go to ATT users.  What can this recipient do to convince ATT that these are messages she wants to recieve?

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.8K Messages

11 months ago

Thank you for posting that, but please delete the larger capture because it contains the recipients e-mail address.

From the link in the log (https://senders.yahooinc.com/smtp-error-codes/)

What are 5XX (553 and 554) permanent errors?
A 553 or 554 SMTP error indicates an email could not be delivered due to a permanent problem. Message delivery can be permanently deferred because:
  • You're trying to send a message to an invalid email address.
  • Your message failed authentication checks against your sending domain's DMARC or DKIM policy.
  • The message contains characteristics that Yahoo won't accept for policy reasons.
  • Other suspicious behavior which leads Yahoo to issue a permanent rejection for your SMTP connection.
  • Your IP is listed by Spamhaus. Please check withhttps://www.spamhaus.org.
If you consistently receive 5xx errors when sending to Yahoo, we encourage you to review our Sender Best Practices, since 5xx errors can be a symptom of a more widespread, general problem.
You should not retrysending an email that comes back with with a 5xx error. List managers should have a policy for removing email addresses that generate 5xx errors/bounces.

My best guess is one of the following:

• The message contains characteristics that Yahoo won't accept for policy reasons.

Largely because the log shows the error happened when you got to DATA, not RCPT TO or MAIL FROM, which most of the others would trigger from.

MailChimp should be able to advise you what might set Yahoo off.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.8K Messages

11 months ago

What actual refusal / NDR message are you getting back when the mail is "rejected / hard bounced"?

(edited)

• 

6 Messages

11 months ago

Thanks for your question.  I don't get a message but this is what shows in Mail Chimp.  After being hard bounced last year and again earlier this year Mail Chimp deleted her address.  Each time she resubscribed.  This weeks newsletter was soft bounced.  I think the next will be hard bounced...........and it will all start over.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.8K Messages

11 months ago

Can MailChimp provide you any additional information about the bounce at all?  Because there's nothing I can tell you at this level of detail (which is none at all).

• 

6 Messages

11 months ago

Thanks

• 

6 Messages

11 months ago

How do I delete that address?  Or the entire thread?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.8K Messages

11 months ago

@ericksonpaul , keeping the thread is useful.  You could edit or delete the reply with the image containing the e-mail by clicking on the vertical 3 dots next to the time since the post was written, as long as you act within the editing period.  If you cannot, we can get rid of the reply for you.

• 

6 Messages

11 months ago

When I click on the dots it says copy link and then I am lost.  If you can delete, please do.  This is all above my skill level.

My MailChimp account is free so no tech support or contact but maybe someone smarter than me can figure out a strategy based on your observations.

Once again, thanks.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.