Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Tue, Apr 30, 2013 4:03 PM

How can I turn off my u-verse internet at night so my kids can't access the internet after 11pm

I have been trying to turn off the internet access at night, so my kids won't be on-line when they should be sleeping.   I can physically turn off the device and unplug it, however, I was hoping we could set a paremeter that just turns it off every night at 11pm.

Any insights are appreciated.

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

7 years ago

Take a look at this: AT&T Smart Controls: AT&T Internet Parental Controls.  This should get you what you need.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you!!!!   Smiley Happy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

That's great, but parental controls are "not available for Macs" 😞 So, how can someone with a Mac set their internet services to just turn off the same time every night to prevent kids from using it? Would love a simple solution for this! I would like to do this through my Uverse account, since my son learned how to program in his high school IT program and knows how to find and change my password for security via our router on his PC. I am sure I am not the only one with this problem and would like to go to bed at a decent time, lol. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

http://www.att.net/smartcontrols-InternetParentalControls

Your company clearly states and advertises that it does have Parental Controls that would solve this issue but the software does not download or work.  FAULTY advertisement and poor customer service as no one I have called into has a fix or reemedy that makes any sense.

JefferMC

• 

17.7K Messages

5 years ago

@tfginternet wrote:

http://www.att.net/smartcontrols-InternetParentalControls

Your company clearly states and advertises that it does have Parental Controls that would solve this issue but the software does not download or work.  FAULTY advertisement and poor customer service as no one I have called into has a fix or reemedy that makes any sense.

You obviously quit reading too quickly on that page.  It tells you what devices can be handled with that feature.  If the devices you wish to have control on don't fall in to that list, then you need another solution, such as the one my thoughts suggested.

SUPPORTED DEVICES

System Requirements:
Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista® (32 & 64 bit), or Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit); or
Microsoft Internet Explorer versions 6.0+; or Mozilla Firefox versions 2.0, 3.0+

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I would agree with the poster that I too was told that Parental Controls were part of the product before I had it installed. The installer reinterated this was possible. Then to find that I have to have an outdated version of windows for this to work. I had 8.1 and now have 10. How incredibly frustrating to learn I now am supposed to purchase even another router. I would think a company of this size would be concerned enough about their customer's needs to keep advertised tools "current" with newly released versions of windows. Or stop telling people these tools are actually functional.

Joni

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I agree.  Many promises made by AT&T that are not fulfilled.  I cannot set parental controls, we all have Apple/Mac products.  AT&T store completely worthless.  I had to explain to the employee three times the difference between internet data and cellular data.  Unfortunately I live in an area where my only options for interent are AT&T DSL and Comcast, both horrible.  The old bait and switch at it's best!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I tried - unsuccessfully - to install a third party router to filter Internet. When I called for help, I was told this was not possible to work with AT&T U Verse router/modem.  Are you saying that there is a particular third party router that will work to filter content? 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I am also struggling to find a way to have the Internet access automatically turn off at a certain hour every night.  I strongly suggest that AT&T program a parental control timer for wifi into the router controls.  My temporary solution is to use an ordinary outlet timer, and plug the router into the timer.  Unfortunately, this will turn off not only the wifi, but also the TV and telephone, but I can't think of anything else.

mibrnsurg

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

4 years ago

@jafalco   Not getting any updates and Guide updates by doing that.

Might get a box and at the correct hour go around and gather all devices the kids are using and collect them.   Assert a little control into the situation.

Or if you happen to have a little antenna button like my laptop, could press it to turn on/off the RG's transceiver.  Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

It cracks me up that MA BELL is suggesting to take a box and collect all devices.  So - the technology money grabber's solution is sneaker net???  LOL!!!

• 

15.5K Messages

4 years ago

Who is MA BELL?  @mibrnsurg?  I don't think so but thanks for the laugh.  Smiley Very Happy

I've reached that age where my brain went from "You probably shouldn't say that"

...to...

"What the heck, let's see what happens."

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
mibrnsurg

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

4 years ago

Guess they never catch the last line in my signature, simply a U-verse user and nothing more. Smiley LOL

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

If you are able to access and set up a Microsoft account, you can then use Microsoft Family Safety. You can shut the internet down at a  certain time on specific days, and also set a limit on the amount of time they can use, both which are great.  You also can block specific websites, toggle them off and on.  The only problem w/ the latter is that you have to use it thru internet explorer or firefox, and my teen uses chrome, but maybe I could put chrome on the forbidden list, forcing her to use internet ex or firefox as her browser?  (Hmm, will think on that.)   Also, it seems that you can not target an iphone as a device fhrough micro family, so Iḿ still stuck needing to shut off her phone & text capacity in some way (another post- bedtime temptation).  For that, I have been using ATT smart limits (you pay), which has some nice features such as toggling data useage on or off, and specifying specific shut down times.  However, even with the date useage disabled, Iḿ still left w/ her then using wifi on her phone to text (text for free sites, & thru social media) .... so thatś my current delimma, so any ideas about how to shut down her WIFI temporary.... other than changing the router password which also blocks out  every device in the house (till I tell them the new password), and easy to change back if sheś being difficult.  Ive been wondering if I can use her IP address to shut her wifi down temporaryily, off and on as needed. Does anyone know?  Finally: she then uses a friendś hotspot to access wifi ....  so I need to find a way to shut down the hotspot capacity on our att account, not sure if that can be done.  OM Gosh, It would be SOO much easier to just get the darn basket and demand the phone from her!! Maybe Iĺl resort to that if these hoops are too cumbersome...  but shes a strong willed 17 year old & won;t drop it in the basket w/out a battle, Iḿ sure. I clearly have lost my way if I think THAT will be worse than trying to figure out this ŕestriction maze! Whew.  Someone needs to come up w/ one app that will do it all!! In closing,  I must say that its Comforting to know Iḿ not the only parent flailing around w/ this, so those of you who have a clear 1-2-3 hoop jumping sequence, please do share!! (or those with a backbone, give me a "ẗoughen up!"pep talk!)   Thx!(:

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I agree!  I spoke to a rep before I signed up with AT&T and he told me I would be able to control each device individually and pause Internet individually.  Turns out this is not true!  I am very frustrated.  Now I have to cancel service and have Xfinity reinstalled.

Get started...

Ask a new question