Fletch23's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, April 30th, 2013 4:03 PM

How can I turn off my u-verse internet at night so my kids can't access the internet after 11pm

I have been trying to turn off the internet access at night, so my kids won't be on-line when they should be sleeping.   I can physically turn off the device and unplug it, however, I was hoping we could set a paremeter that just turns it off every night at 11pm.

Any insights are appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Take a look at this: AT&T Smart Controls: AT&T Internet Parental Controls.  This should get you what you need.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you!!!!   Smiley Happy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

That's great, but parental controls are "not available for Macs" 😞 So, how can someone with a Mac set their internet services to just turn off the same time every night to prevent kids from using it? Would love a simple solution for this! I would like to do this through my Uverse account, since my son learned how to program in his high school IT program and knows how to find and change my password for security via our router on his PC. I am sure I am not the only one with this problem and would like to go to bed at a decent time, lol. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

http://www.att.net/smartcontrols-InternetParentalControls

Your company clearly states and advertises that it does have Parental Controls that would solve this issue but the software does not download or work.  FAULTY advertisement and poor customer service as no one I have called into has a fix or reemedy that makes any sense.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

8 years ago

@tfginternet wrote:

http://www.att.net/smartcontrols-InternetParentalControls

Your company clearly states and advertises that it does have Parental Controls that would solve this issue but the software does not download or work.  FAULTY advertisement and poor customer service as no one I have called into has a fix or reemedy that makes any sense.

You obviously quit reading too quickly on that page.  It tells you what devices can be handled with that feature.  If the devices you wish to have control on don't fall in to that list, then you need another solution, such as the one my thoughts suggested.

SUPPORTED DEVICES

System Requirements:
Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista® (32 & 64 bit), or Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit); or
Microsoft Internet Explorer versions 6.0+; or Mozilla Firefox versions 2.0, 3.0+

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I would agree with the poster that I too was told that Parental Controls were part of the product before I had it installed. The installer reinterated this was possible. Then to find that I have to have an outdated version of windows for this to work. I had 8.1 and now have 10. How incredibly frustrating to learn I now am supposed to purchase even another router. I would think a company of this size would be concerned enough about their customer's needs to keep advertised tools "current" with newly released versions of windows. Or stop telling people these tools are actually functional.

Joni

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I agree.  Many promises made by AT&T that are not fulfilled.  I cannot set parental controls, we all have Apple/Mac products.  AT&T store completely worthless.  I had to explain to the employee three times the difference between internet data and cellular data.  Unfortunately I live in an area where my only options for interent are AT&T DSL and Comcast, both horrible.  The old bait and switch at it's best!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I tried - unsuccessfully - to install a third party router to filter Internet. When I called for help, I was told this was not possible to work with AT&T U Verse router/modem.  Are you saying that there is a particular third party router that will work to filter content? 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I am also struggling to find a way to have the Internet access automatically turn off at a certain hour every night.  I strongly suggest that AT&T program a parental control timer for wifi into the router controls.  My temporary solution is to use an ordinary outlet timer, and plug the router into the timer.  Unfortunately, this will turn off not only the wifi, but also the TV and telephone, but I can't think of anything else.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@jafalco   Not getting any updates and Guide updates by doing that.

Might get a box and at the correct hour go around and gather all devices the kids are using and collect them.   Assert a little control into the situation.

Or if you happen to have a little antenna button like my laptop, could press it to turn on/off the RG's transceiver.  Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.