Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Fri, Jun 14, 2019 1:07 PM

High latency/high ping times

I've been having a lot of problems lately with high latency/high ping times with my AT&T Uverse Internet Service.  See my example below when trying to run a tracert to www.google.com from my computer (results are the same from the RG also).

1.JPG

When this is occurring, speed tests show my bandwidth at significantly reduced levels as shown below.

2.jpg

A reboot of the Residential Gateway will restore proper bandwidth (~45Mbps down, ~5Mbps up), but only for a limited time.  After 10-15 minutes, the poor performance results will return.  Checks of my Residential Gateway by technical support are not showing any issues with my connection.

As you can see here, I do not see any indication of an issue with my broadband connection itself other than a slight difference between the downstream max attainable rate of my two DSL links

3.jpg

Is there something wrong with my hardware, or perhaps a larger issue in the AT&T network itself.  These seem to be related to issues with routing of internet traffic once it leaves my home.  Is anyone else having similar issues?

3 Attachments

Responses

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 months ago

Here is another speed test, from the RG itself.  The red highlighted area is when there is a problem, the green hightlighted area is after a reboot of the Broadband services on the RG.

4.jpg

• 

4 Messages

3 weeks ago

Any resolution on your issue? I have the same problem and no resolution. After having AT&T High Speed internet service for a couple of months this "slowness" issue appeared. Have had two technicians out, replaced gateway and swapped out path to fiber hub. Issue is not fixed. Again, like you restarting resolved the issue for 10-15 minutes.

I had AT&T internet service prior to Spectrum and never had this issue. I suspect there is some engineering issue with them installing fiber all around my neighborhood (we've not been wired for 1gb fiber yet).

• 

8 Messages

good luck dude. been years over here in SOcal. att's attitude to customer complaints- (Edited per community guidelines).. cuz what are we gonna do? go to spectrum [cable internet] XD LOLL i don't think so..... verizon fios fiber optic? "not available in your area" 3g/4g hot spot device? i need a better job...

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

@Silentk Can't believe you put up with crap services for that long. It's only been a few weeks for me and I'm steamed. Never had issues like this before, wish I'd never left Spectrum and signed the 2 year agreement with AT&T.

• 

139 Messages

There's 20 to 30 of us having same problem since late December to current. And were on home rural internet.

• 

4 Messages

That's about the time I noticed the "slowness" issues. The months prior all was fine. Generally speaking what region of the country are you located? Just trying to see if this a regional issue. I am located in NE Ohio. You mentioned 20-30 others also having issues, how did you arrive at that number? I've searched this forum and the results are literally thousands of posts. This same problem seems to have been randomly existant for years, yet no one posts that the issue was resolved. Might I ask, what is "home rural internet"?

• 

139 Messages

I myself live in NE Texas look in the forums under cayne high packet loss high latency. Home rural or fixed home internet is a cell tower internet base internet with a fixed antenna and a router in your home offered to people who live out of the city.

• 

4 Messages

OK,thanks for the feedback. I updated my gateway firmware to version 2.4.4 after some more conversations with level 2 technicians. I had to find and update to version 1.9.14 first, since obviously 1.6.7 cannot be directly updated to 2.4.4. Anyway, that all being said I still found no improvement.

What I did find (now this is just a solution for myself) was that Google Drive was backing up some incredibly large video files. I had been monitoring network traffic and really never found any abnormalities. I DL'd software named NetWorx. It allowed me to monitor all network traffic, by sites and application usage. After letting it run for 24 hours, it did record my high ping times and low bandwidth. The software also showed that Google Drive was uploading many GB of data to a Google destination. About two weeks ago I had restructured one of my local drives and placed a considerable amount of video files in a sub-folder. I checked Google Drive sync settings and sure enough that sub-folder was named to be backed up to the Google cloud.

Removing that folder from my synchronization schedule resulted in no more AT&T High Speed internet issues. So basically my issues were self inflicted.

The intermittent issues with bandwidth and ping times was basically when I was moving large data files into the sub-folder that Google Drive was backing up to the cloud. That is my best guess. Since removed that folder from backup, ping times and bandwidth are normal for the last 20 hours. I'll let you know if there are any changes.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

I never did resolve these issues. Support didn't do (Edited per community guidelines)e for me. I gave up and ended up dropping the service and switching over to Comcast xFinity. I despise Comcast, but the service is working better for me and saved me about $100 month with other promotions.

(edited)